SEGA Game Gear

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
Game Gear was the first SEGA portable, it competed directly with Game Boy. I saw that the battery of Game Boy was better.

In 2020 SEGA released the Game Gear Micro, i never had a Game Gear at that time, when i was a kid it was the Game Boy Color for me, i still have my childhood Game Boy Color here, i want to buy Game Gear.

You have Game Gear? you have favorite games? you have dearest memories because of this portable?

This is the thread to talk everything about the Game Gear, thank you.

1632227138744.png

As mentioned in the other thread, I set the High Score on Pinball Dreams last night and saw the ending for Columns as well (IE: I beat the game). Columns can indeed be quite tricky on hard and at level 9 (SO FAST!) but I have always enjoyed it more than Tetris.

I still really enjoy it to this day and my favourite titles are probably the Ninku titles, but I needed a guide when playing them and haven't picked them up since that time (2008), so maybe I should get back to it; I got fairly far in the first game, barely touched the second.

Dodge Danpei is also a lot of fun; not like its Genesis counterpart (which is still arguably the best, early sports-title on the console), but an interesting spin and still a lot of fun.

Shaq Fu isn't bad and MK is mediocre as expected. Jungle Strike is the only other title that could content for being my favourite and I love it; just fantastic and a little brother to its Genesis counterpart.

Also played a lot of the Majors: Pro Baseball, as it has the rosters and stats of the 1991 season and I know that entire season like the back of my hand, so it got a lot of play time.

I was just a simple gameboy kid during that time but I have always wanted a game gear after seeing some advertisment of the machine on TV but I was never able to convince my parents buying one. I

I'm a pretty big Game Gear enthusiast. I still have the same Game Gear that I had gotten in 1992 as a kid. Sadly, as with most Game Gear systems, the capacitors were crap. The audio board had died and while I had that recapped as well as the video board, the motherboard capacitors ate through it eventually. So I had to get a replacement motherboard installed as well. The entire system had been recapped. Then I had the tube backlights replaced with modern LEDs and a new glass screen put on the front.

I have somewhere around 40-45 games in my collection with a newly acquired (as of a couple months ago) Everdrive X7 with the entire library on it. I even grabbed a USB power cable that ups the charge capabilities of a normal USB port from 5v to the required 9v that the Game Gear requires... thus bringing it into the modern age.

Favorite games on the handheld include...
- Sonic 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble and Spinball
- Jurassic Park and Lost World JP
- Streets of Rage 1 and 2
- Road Rash
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Battletoads
- Judge Dredd

My one wish for the Game Gear that never occurred was that there be a Ninja Turtles game for it. As Nintendo had made an exclusivity agreement with Konami at the time, it never happened. I ended up making my own version of what it would look like back in early 2020 or so. I still have hopes to eventually make it a playable ROM that I can load up onto the Everdrive but getting it into the appropriate .gg or .sms file type and functional on any level is a massive hurdle I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get over. Still, you can enjoy the mock up here:

After the short intro, feel free to skip to the 1:55 mark. I was playing around with what the options would look like at the start. Mock gameplay starts shortly after 1:55.

Last edited:
Back