SEGA DREAMCAST

9Dragons hit the nail on the head. Sega's international branches were all acting differently. After Kalinske did his thing, which took some convincing, that's when things went crazy. I'm not saying it's Kalinske's fault. He did what he thought was best and at first Sega of Japan didn't like his strategies, which don't fly in their culture. In the end, Nakayama let him do it because he hired him to make Sega a success in North America and he did. Kalinske lost his footing when Sega of Japan forced Sega of America to release the Saturn early.

The whole situation of Sega was quite weird. On the one hand they wanted to act independent but on the other hand they also do mind to attempt to take over the whole console business. Kalinske tried to sell Sega to the Silicon graphics chips that was later used in the N64. The Americans also tried to get Sony on board.

Such actions are not very diplomatic and got the folks at Sega Japan quite angry I suppose. Such actions made Sega only weaker and not stronger.

In order to survive Sega should have jonined forces and leave their ego behind.

But at least Sega of Japan and SOA tried to do something. We Europeans were not supported by Sega of Europe at all. The marketing for the Saturn and the DC was either non existant (in the case of the Saturn) or too weird. The advs for the Dreamcast had nothing to do with Dreamcast at all.

From all the Sega entities Sega of Europe was the worst. SOA and SOJ were far from perfect but they had areas where they shinned. SOA was really great at marketing und supporting the Mega Drive/Gensis and the Dreamcast and SOJ did a great with the Saturn in Japan.

I cannot think of any highlight from Sega of Europe .

They were the worst Sega entity for me.

Last edited:
Even tho i don't play most of them, Sega owns a tremendous ammount of first party titles.
Just imagine a new Sega console with exclusives like, all the new Sonic Games, Lost Judgment, Yakuza, Total war, Footbal manager, even the persona series hahaha
Juts imagine all the future persona games being Sega exclusives?
how could that console not be successful?

It doesn't need to be a graphics powerhouse like ps5 or Series X.
call me crazy but i think it could be done

how could that console not be successful?
It can not be successful because of egos first of all. Also, the console needs to be affordable and easy to program for as well. Saturn was notorious to program for (well, at least for non-Japanese developers because they weren't given instructions or not even given kits due to its pre-mature launch), but the Dreamcast is easy, which is why homebrew developers are still making games for Dreamcast to this day.

Also, it needs the right advertising campaign. Genesis had that, and so did the Dreamcast in the US which led to its successful launch . At the end of the day, Sega also needs the capital to keep it afloat.

I actually think the Saturn did well in terms of marketing and promotion; its early launch in NA (to make an analogy) kicked Sega down 50 flights of stairs, to the 5th floor, while Sony and Ninty were still at the 40th and 45th floors, respectively.

At the same time, they were promoting the 32X (which WAS bad promotion) and that doomed the Saturn even more. The ads were out there, but they successfully showed you the games and were quirky-enough to get you interested.

And in Japan, Segata Sanshiro was mega-popular, so they DEFINITELY did advertising right there. The launch was *so* detrimental, coupled with the loss of money, it screwed the Saturn in the West.

I highly doubt Sega will ever go back to making another brand new console with exclusives, specially seeing how they are about now as old being known as a third party game developer as when they were a console maker back in the day. Besides even Sony, though still likely continuing making Playstations, is relinquishing their first party titles one at a time to other platforms. Only Nintendo remains the oddball in the industry, which that also might change depending on how much market footing it will lose to the likes of Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the new Dreamcast Demo Disc. Sounds cool. I would get one when it is available.

Reactions: red
Good vids, Sput!

My only nitpicks are that I wouldn't call Buggy Heat a Hidden Gem (it's a 6/10 at best) and Airforce Delta is similarly a middling title, as well while Illbleed and Tech Romancer are indeed great games, only @BruceWayne911 can afford them at this point lol (I do own Illbleed! Got it YEARS before it went up in price, but not a fan of TR, despite its merits).

Also cool to see Frame Gride get some love AND seeing Speed Devils, which is not only super-underrated, but one of the most-fun racing games (if not THE most-fun) on the console.

YES! Carrier!

I got about 25% of it done in 200..8, IIRC, then never went back to it once I found the Prima guide online. Once the guide came in... I never played it again lol. I should really get to it this year, it was a lot of fun.

And I stupidly sold Confidential Mission for $35.00 in 2006. Should've held onto that one,...

YES! Carrier!

I got about 25% of it done in 200..8, IIRC, then never went back to it once I found the Prima guide online. Once the guide came in... I never played it again lol. I should really get to it this year, it was a lot of fun.

And I stupidly sold Confidential Mission for $35.00 in 2006. Should've held onto that one,...
This is a signal mate

U gotta play it right now.

Very impressive collection @RyoHazuki84 . There some japanese games in your collection I have not ever heard off.

I am also into expanding my DC collection with some japanese games.

Going to be in Tokyo again in December if covid does not interfere for Japanese language school again and if I have to find i will visit some shops in Akihabara again as I did during my 3 previous visits to snatch some other games.

ps:Did not know that Silent Scope got a Dreamcast release as well. Silent Scope was the game I got together with my PS2 in Dezember 2000.

Very impressive collection @RyoHazuki84 . There some japanese games in your collection I have not ever heard off.

I am also into expanding my DC collection with some japanese games.

Going to be in Tokyo again in December if covid does not interfere for Japanese language school again and if I have to find i will visit some shops in Akihabara again as I did during my 3 previous visits to snatch some other games.

ps:Did not know that Silent Scope got a Dreamcast release as well. Silent Scope was the game I got together with my PS2 in Dezember 2000.

It did, but both versions didn't come with Lightgun Support, which is just as ass-backwards as you can get lol :(

Back