SEGA Announces The Mega Drive 2, Boasting 50 Games

I am also thinking of pre ordering the japan version because the line up seems a bit more interesting than the NA version. I wonder there is going to a Euro release at some point...

I just need to find a good online shop where I can import the japan mega drive mini. It is outsold alreadyout of stock in my to shop for imports playasia.

I am also thinking of pre ordering the japan version because the line up seems a bit more interesting than the NA version. I wonder there is going to a Euro release at some point...

I just need to find a good online shop where I can import the japan mega drive mini. It is outsold alreadyout of stock in my to shop for imports playasia.

I ordered mine from Amazon Japan. I'm not sure if it's available in your region but it was super easy to make an account and have something shipped to the US. I've used it a bunch of times.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but I don't think Sega is gonna do a Dreamcast mini. It seems like cost may be the culprit. To be honest though I think the ship has sailed on these mini consoles. @Vivi-gamer us right they would have been better off offering a emulation cart instead of another Genesis.

Yeah - for me the two appeals of the mini-consoles are 1) Being able to legally own a huge collection of games, and 2) Putting it up on a shelf to display. I'm not 100% out on a DC mini showing up at some point, but it's definitely more expensive so maybe it's more viable in 3-4 years.

I personally favor FPGA devices or original hardware over software emulation to actually play, but these games are not published anymore so it's nice to get them all in one package. I suppose for a lot of casual folks it's fun to just have this tiny device you can plug in and just play old games, and it can be easy to just bring it over to a friend or family member's house?

The stock of the Mini 2 is supposed to be 1/10th as the Mini 1 due to parts shortages. At that point, wouldn't it have made more sense to just release the games digitally or all on one disc/cart, or at the very least delay the product a bit? I'm actually kind of curious to know how well the compilation discs sell vs mini consoles.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm thinking it would be awesome if Sega made their own emulation box where you could buy games digitally for all of their consoles up until DC (and maybe some early 3rd party games).

Last edited:
@Tomato Convenience Store Thanks for your advice.My bad that I have not considered using amazon.jp. I have an account and the shipping to Austria is really fast. I did order some Japanese ps2 games there already and it worked really well every time.

At least it looks like the model 2. I still consider it one of the best designed (exterior) consoles created. The problem is that it's missing some really great games. This would have been the perfect time to bring Jurassic Park (Gen), Rampage Edition (Gen) and Jurassic Park (Sega CD) onto one of these.

While not Genesis/MD, apparently last month during TGS, Sega appeared to be showing off a mini Saturn... playing a disc game. 🤔

Now... with Saturn being more difficult to emulate and me going with PS1 during that era, I'd really enjoy a mini Saturn. That's assuming it got some of the incredible Sega arcade ports the old system had like...
- Daytona
- Virtua Fighter
- Sega Rally

Then if course the Panzer Dragoon game would be nice. Time will tell if it ever releases. I may just have to buy an old Saturn at some point, but that's not currently on the menu.

Back