Sales of Shenmue III: Where are we now?

With very little being known about concrete sales of Shenmue III, I thought I’d dig into the information we have to try and give a rough estimation of how many copies of the game are in circulation today. I’ll be looking at confirmed numbers and then making some estimates using a few different methods to try and come up with a realistic estimate for how many copies of the game have been sold.

Confirmed:
By removing the lowest tier from the Kickstarter rewards page, we can see that 67,069 copies of the game were provided via Kickstarter. It’s hard to say how many additional copies were sent out following the slacker backer campaign and we can only guess the distribution in terms of PS4 vs Epic.

According to Dengeki’s week 48 figures, Shenmue III had sold 19,891 physical copies on PS4 as of December 1st. As the game has failed to re-enter the Japanese top 50, we do not know how many additional copies have been sold in the two months since this nor do we know how many digital copies were sold in Japan. (* since the time of writing, forum user Crimson has pointed out that an issue of the Dengeki magazine quoted total sales of 20,866. I’m not sure of the period this includes and won’t be recalculating all of my estimates as the increase is pretty negligible. For those interested however, confirmed sales are actually 975 higher than the number quoted later in this post.).

According to The Spanish Top 10 for week 47, Shenmue III sold 1,900 copies between the 18th and the 24th of November.

Limited Run released a collector’s edition of the game which was limited to 5,000 copies.

Pix n Love released a collectors edition of the game which was limited to 2,500 copies.

Unconfirmed
During its opening week, Shenmue 3 was number 17 in the UK charts, with sites stating that it sold half or just over half of what the rereleases sold last year. It seems that the remasters sold 10,162 copies in its opening week, which would suggest that Shenmue 3 sold little over 5,000 copies.

The average backer on Kickstarter pledged $91.36 with 96.8% of backers pledging enough for a copy of the game. An additional $846,215 was generated through a further 11,767 backers during The Slacker Backer Campaign period with an average pledge of $71.91. Applying the same percentage drop observed in backer donations (-21%) to the percentage of Kickstarter backers who pledged enough for a copy of the game, we can estimate that 76.2% of slacker backers, or 8,965, were provided with a backer copy.

This means that by December first, there were 96,360 copies of the game confirmed to be in circulation or 110,325 if the above estimates for week 1 sales in the UK and Slacker Backer copies are included.

Speculation
In terms of sales, we are still missing worldwide digital sales and physical sales for every country outside of Spain, The UK and Japan.

We have very little to go by other than the game charting in some European countries, although we do know that the HD remasters sold 87,676 copies on PS4 in its opening week with a further 43,121 copies sold in the game’s opening 2 weeks in the Japanese market (it launched a few months later there).

We’ve already seen that Shenmue 3 sold about half as many copies in it’s opening week in The UK as the remasters did and the data for Japan seems to confirm this pattern (although sales of the remasters in Japan were somewhat conflated by people importing the special edition).

This would suggest that around 43,838 physical copies were sold worldwide (excluding Japan), so removing the 6,900 copies we have already included for sales in Spain and The UK, we have an additional 36,938 physical sales.

With digital sales on PS4 accounting for 53% of all game sales, the 63,729 physical sales of the standard edition of the game we’ve calculated so far would suggest that there were a further 71,865 copies of the game sold digitally through the PlayStation Store.

Factoring in these additional copies, we are now looking at 219,128 copies of the game in circulation by December first, with 143,094 of those being sales. This estimate does not include sales on the Epic Game Store nor does it include the standard limited edition of the game which was sold on sites like Amazon and Game under a different SKU.

Growth
As many of you may know, I’ve been tracking the growth of users who have played Shenmue III on several trophy sites since the 10th of December. Observed growth is as follows...

Continuous growth (12/10 - 01/29)
PSN Profiles: 851->1696 (+99%).
True Trophies: 956->1315 (+38%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 1900->2822 (+49%).

Average growth across the three sites is 62%.

Unfortunately, we don’t know how many of the 76,034 backers requested a PS4 copy, so we need to do a little more guess work here. I’ll do a few different calculations here to account for a few different splits.

A. Only 50% of backers chose a PS4 copy and lowest tracked growth (38%). 249,933 PS4 copies in circulation with a further 38,017 backer copies and whatever the game has sold on Epic since launch. 211,916 sales on PS4 (physical and digital).

B. 75% of backers chose a PS4 copy and lowest tracked growth (38%). 276,165 PS4 copies in circulation with a further 19,008 backer copies and whatever else the game has sold on Epic since launch. 219,139 sales on PS4 (physical and digital).

C. Only 50% of backers chose a PS4 copy and average tracked growth (62%). 293,400 copies of the game in circulation with a further 38,017 backer copies and whatever else the game has sold on Epic since launch. 255,383 sales on PS4 (physical and digital).

D. 75% of backers chose a PS4 copy and average tracked growth (62%). 324,194 copies of the game in circulation with a further 19,008 backer copies and whatever else the game has sold on Epic since launch. 267,168 sales on PS4 (physical and digital).

Alternative method 1: DLC
Lately I’ve been tracking DLC sales as a percentage of total players using trophy sites. What I failed to realize was that I could actually get a much more accurate idea of this percentage by looking at the trophies directly on PSN. According to the figures at the time of writing, at least 1.1% of players have bought and played the DLC.

The results of this poll suggest that 50% of Dojo users have already purchased and played the DLC. Of course we can’t apply this figure to everyone who purchased the game as not everybody is as crazy about Shenmue as members of this forum, but perhaps there is a way to establish how many serious fans of the series there are.

We need only look as far as the Kickstarter where the average backer pledged nearly $100 to secure a third entry in the series. Of course not all of the 80,000 or so backers can be considered hardcore Shenmue fans, but the rewards page of the Kickstarter page provides a handy breakdown of backers that could help us establish how many are.

40,449 people pledged $60 or higher with 19,048 of those pledging $100 or more.

If only 10% of the backers who pledged $60+ bought and played the DLC and 75% of those played on PS4, that would mean at least 3,034 people bought it. We know that 1.1% of total players have played the DLC, so these 3,034 players alone would suggest that the total number of players on PS4 is 275,828.

If 20% of the backers who pledged $100+ bought and played the DLC (none of the people who pledged less) and 75% of those played on PS4, that would mean that at least 2,858 people bought the DLC. This would suggest that the total number of players on PS4 is 259,818.

If 10% of people who pledged $60-$80 and 20% of people who pledged $100+ bought and played the DLC and 75% of them played on PS4, that would mean that at least 4,463 people bought the DLC. This would suggest that the total number of players on PS4 is 405,727.

If 0% of people who pledged $1-$59 (28,871->0), 10% of people who pledged $60-$99 (21,401->2,140), 20% of people who pledged $100-$199 (12,431->2,486), 30% of people who pledged $200-$299 (1,170->351), 40% of people who pledged $300-$399 (3,141->1,255) and 50% of people who pledged $500+ (2,306->1,153) bought and played the DLC and 75% of them played on PS4 (7,385->5,539), that would mean that there were 5,539 sales of the DLC on PS4 and a total PS4 player base of 503,545 (based on Sony’s assertion that 1.1% of the total playerbase has played the DLC).

These numbers may seem pretty high, but we’ve no reason to doubt Sony’s trophy information (as far as I’m aware it’s machine calculated) and to believe that 8% of Kickstarter backers have purchased and played the DLC doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

If sales really were 500,000+ (which I could very easily believe looking at these numbers), assuming that not a single one of the 420,000+ none-backers purchased the DLC is far more difficult to believe. Even if only 1% of these new players purchased the DLC, that would boost the total playerbase towards the 1m mark.

Alternative method 2: Trophy Sites.

Below are the total number of registered PS4 users on four of the largest trophy sites and the current number of tracked Shenmue III players on each site.

PSN Profiles: 1,713 / 2,077,146 (0.08%)
True Trophies: 1,315 / 47,329 (2.8%)
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2,822 / 550,574 (0.5%)
Exophase: 1,510 / 64,308 (2.3%)

True Trophies and Exophase seem to provide comparable sample groups with PSN Profiles providing an incredibly poor sample group. I suspect this is down to them refreshing their user base’s trophies in chunks rather than doing them all at the same time. This would explain why they consistently show higher growth than any of the other sites. I’ll include them in my calculations, but have serious reservations about the reliability of the data that doing so will yield.

In March 2019, there were apparently 94m active PSN users. Assuming the same percentage of all PSN users have played Shenmue 3 as those registered on our trophy sites, we get the following estimates for total players.

PSN Profiles: 75,200
True Trophies: 2,632,000
PSN Trophy Leaders: 470,000
Exophase: 2,162,000

As we can see, these numbers are clearly wrong and fluctuate wildly from site to site. This is similar to the methodology used by sites like Gamestat which is why their numbers are so inaccurate (they’re still reporting that the number of total players is less than the number of backer copies).

It’s possible that Shenmue 3 is just incredibly popular with trophy hunters, but I think it far more likely that Sony are over-reporting the number of active PSN users. It also looks like Exophase and true trophies purge inactive users from time to time whilst the other two sites do not.

Alternative method 3: Gamestat
You’re probably thinking to yourself, ‘But didn’t he just say that trying to use numbers from trophy sites is pointless due to the unreliability of the sample groups?’. Whilst I don’t think they’re a good measure for exact sales, I do think the growth that they show should be fairly representative of overall growth in the playerbase.

Today, I came across this page, which shows the worldwide distribution of tracked Shenmue III players. Although the sample group is only around 4,000 by my calculation, that should be large enough to provide a fairly accurate idea of where players are based in the overall playerbase. The numbers seem to be fairly in keeping with the numbers we have for Spain and The UK, so I think they should be reliable enough to work with.

According to Gamestat, 22% of tracked players are based in Japan. Knowing that there were 19,891 confirmed physical sales in Japan by December 1st, this would suggest that there were 90,414 total physical sales at that time.

This in turn casts doubt on our earlier estimate for world-wide physical sales of the standard version of the game (excluding Japan). Rather than the 43,838 I predicted, the Gamestat data suggests that 70,523 physical copies of the game were sold.

For the first time, it also allows us to make a reasonable estimate as to the number of physical copies of the game sold in The US (28,028) during the opening few weeks of sales.

With this in mind, we now have 90,414 worldwide physical sales, 101,956 digital worldwide sales, 7,500 special edition copies sold and 76,034 Kickstarter and Slacker backer copies for a grand total of 275,904 copies in circulation by December 1st.

If we plug this new total into the calculation for scenario D in the growth section, we get 389,938 sales on PS4 (446,964 - 57,026) with a further 76,034 backer copies plus whatever the game has sold on Epic and the sales from the standard limited edition that was sold in Europe.

Conclusions
Aside from the confirmed data we have, there is a lot of guess work involved at this point. I’ve tried my best to be conservative in my estimations and explain how I’ve come to those conclusions. I’ve thrown a lot of data around and used a lot of different methods to try and predict growth, but what does it all mean?

I think that the poor sample group provided by PSN Profiles lead to unrealistic growth (99%), which in turn increased the average growth to an unrealistically high level (62%). As I started tracking growth on the 10th of December and our confirmed figures and speculation only cover up to the first of December though, I think 62% may not be too far off from the growth seen since the first of December.

About 1 month ago, a Dojo user suggested that someone working for Epic had told him that there were between twenty and thirty thousand copies of the game registered on the Epic launcher. This makes me think that an estimate of 19,000 backer copies on Epic probably isn’t too far off the mark (75% PS4 / 25% Epic split).

The DLC data suggests that sales are doing very well and whilst there are some issues with this data (it doesn’t account for new fans, it doesn’t account for people who are no longer fans of the series), I don’t think it’s too far off. If anything, it suggests that my other estimates may be too low.

Gamestat’s geographical data suggests that initial estimates for worldwide sales may have been underestimated by a fairly considerable amount. Considering my disdain for Gamestat’s poor prediction of total players, I find it a little ironic that their geographical information has probably provided some of the most accurate data in this post. It’s also in keeping with the data provided through DLC sales.

With these things in mind...

TLDR; I think that there are now more than 500,000 copies of Shenmue 3 in circulation (including backer copies). I predict, assuming growth remains steady, that within 30 days sales will have broken the 500,000 mark (assuming they haven’t already) and expect an announcement from Deep Silver by the end of February.

Last edited:
I remember we had an updated number for Japan of physical sales... 21,000 copies, more or less by mid-December. This piece of data is somewhere in the sales thread.
To the best of my knowledge, there were some suggestions on Resetera that sales were a little higher than had been reported by Dengeki and Famitsu, but I don’t think these suggestions were ever confirmed by hard data.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, there were some suggestions on Resetera that sales were a little higher than had been reported by Dengeki and Famitsu, but I don’t think these suggestions were ever confirmed by hard data.

Found it:

1580310687114.png

Number eight. From Dengeki Playstation magazine of December. Total 20,866 copies in December.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope this is the case. If so can see them going right back into work in a few months.
It’s worth noting that whilst better than many of us initially expected, 500,000 sales of a game with a $12m budget isn’t great.

The game was heavily discounted in The US from pretty much launch day and was reduced in other countries not long after.

According to Onlive’s breakdown of where money from video game sales goes, about $27 from a $60 sale is left after marketing, manufacturing, distribution and retailer costs have been taken into account. This works out at 45%.

Assuming an average sale price of $45, the game would have generated $22.5m which would leave $10.125m after the above costs have been deducted. YSNet will have been paid some of this money, although often if a game is sold at a discounted rate, the developer is not paid a royalty bonus (the deal with DS May be different though as YSNet actually put up about two thirds of the budget).

Given that the bulk of the budget was generated through crowdfunding and profit will have been supplemented by the Epic deal, investors in S3 should have easily recouped their money, but the idea of putting up $12m (more than triple what they invested in S3 and less than the game generated in profit) for a fourth game might seem like a risky prospect for investors.

My gut says that things will move ahead though and that some of the team are probably already working on a fourth game while others tweak the remaining DLC. It doesn’t make sense to break up the team if there’s a strong likelihood that S4 is going to happen. Only time will tell though.

Sorry OP, I got to stop you right here:
"51% of sales were digital".
No, no and no.
There's a huge difference between "51% of software sales are digital" which would include a LOT of digital only games and "The ratio between physical and digital for one game is 51% digital".

Your entire premise lies on this completly false calculation, which made you nearly double yours numbers out of thin air !!!!

Heck the growth speculation is even worse !
You take the premise that the growth number in term of registered users = growth number in term of sales (!!!)

Heck, how do you reach this unrealistic figure that, since December, sales has seen a 63% growth when the game completly disappeared from the chart ?

There's a huge difference between "51% of software sales are digital" which would include a LOT of digital only games and "The ratio between physical and digital for one game is 51% digital".
I'd expect that ratio to be lower digital/higher physical in Shenmue's case, as well, given its cult appeal.

I'd expect that ratio to be lower digital/higher physical in Shenmue's case, as well, given its cult appeal.

A 30% digital ratio would already be generous in such case.
But yeah, 51% that's not the norm at all and that's not what OP's link is claiming.

Sorry OP, I got to stop you right here:
"51% of sales were digital".
No, no and no.

Your entire premise lies on this completly false calculation, which made you nearly double yours numbers out of thin air !!!!
Clearly your reading skills are on par with your grammar. For starters, I said 53% as per the article linked. This is far from my ‘entire premise’ as per the numerous other sections of my post, specifically the section discussing DLC.

The 53% comes direct from Sony (specifically their first quarter report for 2019) and concerns games published by Sony. Sony don’t release many digital only games and in the financial quarter for which this data was obtained (and indeed the whole of 2018 and 2019), I don’t think they released a single digital only game. Of course, older games will have sold during this period as well and thus contributed towards the figure being 53%, but considering that the bulk of sales will have been of their big hitters (God of War, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Days gone, etc), digital only games probably had a very minor impact on the overall figure.

I suppose you could ask whether games not published by Sony follow the same trend, but unless there are people out there who only purchase digital copies of games if they’re published by Sony, it should be fairly representative of sales of games published by others and thus, Shenmue.

Even if digital sales were lower (which they may well be), it wouldn’t result in the estimate being nearly halved (if digital sales were 30%, that would place total copies at 212,697 on December 1st rather than the 275,904 used in later predictions). A significant difference for sure, but not one that’s going to halve the final outcome or even come close.

As the ratio for digital v physical jumped from 43:57 to 53:47 in the year preceding this report (Q12018->Q12019), I’d argue that, if anything, the gap would have likely increased rather than shrank in the five months that followed it. Again, I’m just going off the data I can find regarding the proportion of digital sales of full games (unfortunately there isn’t much). There’s a good reason why Microsoft released a download only version of the Xbone though.

By all means, if you have data that contradicts this, please do share. ‘It must be wrong because I don’t think it’s right.’ seems like a ridiculous approach to take when it comes to discussion.

Heck the growth speculation is even worse !
You take the premise that the growth number in term of registered users = growth number in term of sales (!!!)

Heck, how do you reach this unrealistic figure that, since December, sales has seen a 63% growth when the game completly disappeared from the chart ?
What possible rationale do we have to suggest that growth within a sample of a larger group is not representative of growth in the full group? And as for the link between registered users and sales, I should think that would be obvious. If the number of registered users is increasing, sales must be increasing at the same (or at least a very similar) rate.

We know that sales started slowly. It seems perfectly logical to me that the game could sell 60% of the number of copies it sold in its first two weeks in the 8 weeks that follow - especially given the discounted price.

In most countries, the game didn’t even chart (to the best of my knowledge, Spain, Italy, Japan and The UK are the only countries in which it did) and on occasions where it did, it barely made it in. The one instance where it made it in to week 2 (Japan), week 2 sales showed growth of around 10%.

Even assuming a declining rate of growth (which contradicts the data we have), 61% is very achievable. 13th Sentinal, for example, sold 34k in its opening week in Japan (it released nine days later than Shenmue) and broke the 100k mark 3 days ago. That’s more than triple the growth (+61% vs +194%) that I’m suggesting over the same period of time for a game that wasn’t heavily discounted nor marketed to the same extent that Shenmue III was. It also didn’t have a pre-existing fan base.

By all means disagree with the data, but at least read and understand it first. All of the questions you asked were answered in great detail.

Last edited:
One thing about Shenmue 3 is that (physically) it's holding it's price very well, especially here in the UK where price cuts are brutal and rampant. In 2003 when Shenmue 2 released on Xbox, long term sales were not a thing and the second hand market was enormous. Now we have two formats with long tail sales on them, the second hand market is all but dead here so I'm more confident than ever about more Shenmue coming our way.

Clearly your reading skills are on par with your grammar. For starters, I said 53% as per the article linked. This is far from my ‘entire premise’ as per the numerous other sections of my post, specifically the section discussing DLC.

The 53% comes direct from Sony (specifically their first quarter report for 2019) and concerns games published by Sony. Sony don’t release many digital only games and in the financial quarter for which this data was obtained (and indeed the whole of 2018 and 2019), I don’t think they released a single digital only game. Of course, older games will have sold during this period as well and thus contributed towards the figure being 53%, but considering that the bulk of sales will have been of their big hitters (God of War, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Days gone, etc), digital only games probably had a very minor impact on the overall figure.

I suppose you could ask whether games not published by Sony follow the same trend, but unless there are people out there who only purchase digital copies of games if they’re published by Sony, it should be fairly representative of sales of games published by others and thus, Shenmue.

Even if digital sales were lower (which they may well be), it wouldn’t result in the estimate being nearly halved (if digital sales were 30%, that would place total copies at 212,697 on December 1st rather than the 275,904 used in later predictions). A significant difference for sure, but not one that’s going to halve the final outcome or even come close.

As the ratio for digital v physical jumped from 43:57 to 53:47 in the year preceding this report (Q12018->Q12019), I’d argue that, if anything, the gap would have likely increased rather than shrank in the five months that followed it. Again, I’m just going off the data I can find regarding the proportion of digital sales of full games (unfortunately there isn’t much). There’s a good reason why Microsoft released a download only version of the Xbone though.

By all means, if you have data that contradicts this, please do share. ‘It must be wrong because I don’t think it’s right.’ seems like a ridiculous approach to take when it comes to discussion.

What possible rationale do we have to suggest that growth within a sample of a larger group is not representative of growth in the full group? And as for the link between registered users and sales, I should think that would be obvious. If the number of registered users is increasing, sales must be increasing at the same (or at least a very similar) rate.

We know that sales started slowly. It seems perfectly logical to me that the game could sell 60% of the number of copies it sold in its first two weeks in the 8 weeks that follow - especially given the discounted price.

In most countries, the game didn’t even chart (to the best of my knowledge, Spain, Italy, Japan and The UK are the only countries in which it did) and on occasions where it did, it barely made it in. The one instance where it made it in to week 2 (Japan), week 2 sales showed growth of around 10%.

Even assuming a declining rate of growth (which contradicts the data we have), 61% is very achievable. 13th Sentinal, for example, sold 34k in its opening week in Japan (it released nine days later than Shenmue) and broke the 100k mark 3 days ago. That’s more than triple the growth (+61% vs +194%) that I’m suggesting over the same period of time for a game that wasn’t heavily discounted nor marketed to the same extent that Shenmue III was. It also didn’t have a pre-existing fan base.

By all means disagree with the data, but at least read and understand it first. All of the questions you asked were answered in great detail.

If you're not able to read your own article I dont know what to tell you. But here's a little easy one for you:
Sony is listing numbers for gross software, which includes litterally EVERY software sold on PlayStation 4. You'd be right to say that if, indeed, every games available on PlayStation store had a physical release. The problem is the following: It's not the case. Basically, those numbers includes every software sold, including digital only titles, which heavily skew those numbers toward a higher digital rate.

Learn to read your own shit before calling out my reading skills or my grammar (yeah, I'm not a native english speaker, douchebag).

And no, it's EVERY software published on PS4, not "Sony published software". Unless you truly believe Sony sold 250 millions games in a year. But yeah, to know that would actually require to read your own stuff.

And also use a bit of logic:
If the game had seen a growth in sales, why did it disappear from charts ?

Heck, you're basing that growth on 3rd party tools that may need time to track that stuff and adjust it, hence why you see a big growth in reported users.

Back