Rude Schoolboy Quest ~WIP Mod~

gladias9

The Anime Is Better...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
I've been working on an overhaul of the subtitles for Shenmue 2
This mod shows Shenmue in a completely new light while not altering the general story. For immersion sake, switch to Japanese voices.
- Progress so far: Beginning up until rescuing Zhang -
- Installation: Drop files in ..SMLaunch\sm2\archives\dx11\mods (create if missing) -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryo is a 'rude schoolboy'. It's always bothered me that Ryo's father is killed, he drops out of school, beats up thugs on the streets, neglects his love interests and is constantly deceived by others YET he is always such a nice, well mannered student of martial arts.

- In my mod Ryo is more of an impatient smart mouth who isn't afraid to ridicule or threaten depending on the situation. I got the idea from other rude protagonists I'm a fan of like Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho (Anime) and Ryudo from Grandia 2 (Dreamcast/PS2/PC).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hong Kong is now a cold and unforgiving land for foreigners. Originally, the locals of Hong Kong generally treat Ryo with tolerance and respect. Very few actually comment on Ryo's nationality and obvious ethnic differences.

- Now Ryo will face much discrimination throughout his journey, making Hong Kong much more of a personal danger to him. Locals will constantly reference him as "tourist", "outsider" and "Japanese" in negative light. As a side note, the locals will speak on more mature subjects such as drugs, prostitution and murder.
Once a warm hearted story filled with friendship, now has strained relationships all around. While the story itself remains the same, the tone of the entire experience has changed and so have the characters.

- Entire conversations take different turns that make the game feel fresh. Whether it's Ryo humorously rubbing most characters the wrong way or characters referencing things they should have in the original like Wong noticing the contents of Ryo's bag, it feels brand new.

Attachments

• mods.zip
    802.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ryo10.png
    ryo10.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 38
  • ryo9.png
    ryo9.png
    4 MB · Views: 36
  • ryo8.png
    ryo8.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 35