Shenmue II
Currently playing
FFVII Rebirth
PSN
KiddMarine1
Steam
KiddMarine
Last edited:
It broke my heart when I read it this morning. Though I'm not sure why it took 5 months for this news to break.

She was pioneering games back in the 80s and 90s while the industry was mostly made up of men. Skies still remains in my top 3 games ever.

Her passing is a huge loss :crying:

Last edited:
I'll like to dedicate her words, from one of my favourites bands ever: The Waterboys.

"I found myself on the roof of the world
Just waiting for to get my wings
[...]
There is a green hill far away,
I'm going back there one fine day.
"

That's really sad. How come we only learned about it now?
Probably the family under their own (or even hers) desire preferred to grieve in private. Specially if she was struggling with any illness, its better mourning this way imo. Saving yourself nervous induced condolences, well intended but harmful "its life, you could see it coming, c'mon dont be sad,etc."
This isn't really that unusual.
My family did the same with my father's (under his desire): no telling the fight, private departure, announce four months later.
Everybody understood (those who really loved him I mean, there was few selfishness issues "why i wasnt told for the funeral rants").

Last edited:
True.
I mean, look at Bowie. He kept his cancer to himself until the day he died. Didn't want anybody to know, then quietly slipped away.
I think we easily forget that it's down to the person and/or their family to announce it. It just seemed that near 6 months from her passing was quite a stretch of time.

That's really sad. How come we only learned about it now?
I didn't realize this until just today, but apparently the news was broken by the credits of the Megadrive Mini 2 that just came out.
One thing worthy of note is in the credits for the SMD Mini 2 is a dedication 'in memory of Rieko Kodama'. This is how fans found out she had died back in May. (No news spread about it at the time as it was made private for the respect of her family.)
Or at least that's what the uploader of this video claims in the comment pinned to the top of the comments section.

I wouldn't have gotten into jrpgs in general if it weren't for the Phantasy Star series. I played them like mad in the 1990s.

What a huge loss for the older Sega fans like me. :(

PSIV is my favourite game of the series.
Director and then producer of the two greatest RPGs of all time imo. A pretty incredible legacy among other things.

Back