PSN
Shrooms
XBL
Grampa Gohan
Steam
(BANGS) BASS wub wub
Dreamcast Now
Kodama
I figured I'd make a general thread for all of us to help each other with our retro gaming needs, I'll start with my problem specifically...

My HDTV has a VGA port which is amazing for my Dreamcast, but doesn't help with Genesis and Saturn. I really don't feel like trying to get things that are hard to find like those component cables that are always sold out or anything like that. I figured the best options are either S-video or S-cart, neither of which my TV accepts. S-video is prolly easier too because I'm in the USA...

Can someone very simply recommend which cables and which converter I should be looking to get, at a reasonable price? I don't wanna go crazy upscaling or anything like that, I just want a decent picture. Composite looks like blurry ass and it's time to upgrade a bit... Also something that doesn't stretch or mess with the image at all would be best, with very little lag...

If it helps I was wondering if this stuff would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Ge...3673532&sr=8-1&keywords=s+video+cable+genesis

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Se...33673602&sr=8-1&keywords=s+video+cable+saturn

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-Co...3673532&sr=8-2&keywords=s+video+cable+genesis

I'm sure the cables I choose are fine but I need a good converter and I'm not sure what to choose. Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm assuming you're from the US so you're not familiar with Scart.
Basically you want a Rgb signal from your consoles that output below 480p, now. Most consoles can output the correct signal via Rgb Scart (cables).
In Europe and Australia most tv's have a scart input so no difficulties there, in the Us however you're limited to S-video or Component(which is also compatible with Rgb video).
I highly recommend you to go to this site :

http://retrorgb.com

The guy explains everything in great detail how to go about with video signal of consoles and how to get the best out of your system. And most importantly to you how to convert scart to your tv.

Ps: forgot to mention, your best bet would probably the 3rd link from amazon, if you want to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Thanks brother. That link is blocked at work of course but I'll check it out when I can. I'm starting to think maybe s-cart cables from the consoles to a switcher that I can use to choose between the two of them. Then from there run it through an HDMI converter. Do you think that would work and do you recommend any specific cables and stuff for that?

It should! I had it setup like this myself before I went to a sony Pvm setup.

I definitely recommend this site for scart cables, custom made and almost my whole setup has cables from these guys https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk
On the retrorgb.com site there should also be a link to an u.s. Reseller for said cables.

As for a switcher I use 2 Bandridge manual 5 input, 1 output scart switcher, though I hear they're pretty expensive to source in the U.S.

I'll try to find something more affordable for ya since it's only for 2/3 consoles. :
http://retrorgb.com/scartswitches.html
Turns out the site had a whole section on it.

Last edited:
I've used retro gaming cables and they are good. I got one for my mega drive and it was perfect.

That's awsesome, looks like the plan is RBGSCART to OSSC... Now i just need more money...

I have a video source selector that handles 4 AV connections, up to S-Video, thus I'm good for my Genesis (composite), Master System (composite), Saturn (S-Video) and my DVD player.

For my Sega SG-1000 however, is there anyone here or does anyone know a site that talks about hooking up super old consoles to modern TVs?

Or would it only be possible to do it with an older television?

If it would be better for me to start a new topic, I can do so.

I have a video source selector that handles 4 AV connections, up to S-Video, thus I'm good for my Genesis (composite), Master System (composite), Saturn (S-Video) and my DVD player.

For my Sega SG-1000 however, is there anyone here or does anyone know a site that talks about hooking up super old consoles to modern TVs?

Or would it only be possible to do it with an older television?

If it would be better for me to start a new topic, I can do so.
What type of output is it? Is it a coaxle cable or those fork prong things?

Both lol.

It is actually the same as an Atari 2600

faq_switchbox_2.jpg

But then again, I also have a different connector that I was told would work (looks like coaxial), but it doesn't appear to (I'm not at home right now so I can't photog it :$)

I'm pretty sure the connection part isn't the problem, but it may be a TV-related issue.

Both lol.

faq_switchbox_2.jpg

But then again, I also have a different connector that I was told would work (looks like coaxial), but it doesn't appear to (I'm not at home right now so I can't photog it :$)

I'm pretty sure the connection part isn't the problem, but it may be a TV-related issue.
They do make RF to HDMI adapters, but I know nothing about them unfortunately...

Both lol.

faq_switchbox_2.jpg

Are you sure you don't have a coax/Rf in on your TV? Even my 4k tv from 2017 still has the input.

Are you sure you don't have a coax/Rf in on your TV? Even my 4k tv from 2017 still has the input.
Yeah same with mine now that I think about it. That might work for him...

This has been the bane of my life!

The big offender for me is my PS2 games... I have no god way to to play them :(
I've tried many options - Using FreeMcBoot to use Xploder Upscaler. I even have a backwards compatible PS3 but it sounds like an airport - I have to put it in another room and use a 5M HDMI cable to reach my TV - It's just not natural.

I'm also curious to know if anyone here has experience using the recent 'Pound' HDMI cables for Xbox & Dreamcast - from what I've seen it still seems kinda jaggy.

This has been the bane of my life!

The big offender for me is my PS2 games... I have no god way to to play them :(
I've tried many options - Using FreeMcBoot to use Xploder Upscaler. I even have a backwards compatible PS3 but it sounds like an airport - I have to put it in another room and use a 5M HDMI cable to reach my TV - It's just not natural.

I'm also curious to know if anyone here has experience using the recent 'Pound' HDMI cables for Xbox & Dreamcast - from what I've seen it still seems kinda jaggy.

Yup ps2 really is the only console for me that I can't get a consistent good picture off because of its 240p and 480i switching (like going to the status screen) in certain games.

Regarding Pound cables the Dc one certainly has some sort of green tint over it, don't know about the Xbox one. I'm going with rgbscart with that for now and maybe upgrade to component later if I ever get an 480p or higher Crt monitor.

Regarding Pound cables the Dc one certainly has some sort of green tint over it
Always best to use VGA on Dreamcast, I'm lucky enough to have a VGA port on my hdtv and it looks amazing even with the shitty 10 dollar tomee cable I bought...

Always best to use VGA on Dreamcast, I'm lucky enough to have a VGA port on my hdtv and it looks amazing even with the shitty 10 dollar tomee cable I bought...
I'm using a bbs Toro vga and scart box for about 3 years now, excellent quality on both my crts and my hdtv, it luckily has a vga port too.

Back