***REQUEST*** Shenmue 1 & II for Linux STEAM & Install Guide.(Request even if you don't use Linux so that Linux users can play the game as well.)

Try this.
Can't guarantee you if it works or not.

Attachments

• proton_run.zip
    810 bytes · Views: 11
Last edited:
Proton was updated, so you need to use a different method to get the run file:

1. Add "PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%" to the game's Steam launch options.
  2. cd /tmp/proton_$USER/run ~ (replace $USER with your Linux username if this doesn't work)
  3. Edit "run" in the same way as the guide suggests
Additionally, a somewhat more convenient way to fix the audio is to install winetricks (if it isn't already) and run:

WINEPREFIX=<steam library location>/compatdata/758330/pfx winetricks xact

You might need to manually add xaudio2_8 and xaudio2_9 with winecfg, just like the guide suggests. I'm not sure if they are actually needed, but it seemingly fixed some crackling audio problems on boot (might be an anomaly). EDIT: Yeah, crackling audio seems to be an intermittent problem on my system. Sometimes it boots with it, sometimes not. So you may not need these extra overrides after all.

I also think that the edited run file could be integrated into Steam directly, as presumably this is what Proton itself does. This will mean the game could just be run from Steam as you would any other game. I'm not sure how to achieve this, though.

EDIT: Add as a non-steam game to get Steam Controller support working properly, if it isn't already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren
Issue I found is that It didn't let me accept screen changes. So Had to do it manually.

Attachments

• SETTINGS.png
    SETTINGS.png
    142 KB · Views: 2
My Shenmue.exe pre hacked with widescreen hack.
Will work for 1.0.1 Beta Only.

Attachments

• Shenmue.zip
    4 MB · Views: 7
Proton was updated, so you need to use a different method to get the run file:

1. Add "PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%" to the game's Steam launch options.
  2. cd /tmp/proton_$USER/run ~ (replace $USER with your Linux username if this doesn't work)
  3. Edit "run" in the same way as the guide suggests
Additionally, a somewhat more convenient way to fix the audio is to install winetricks (if it isn't already) and run:

WINEPREFIX=<steam library location>/compatdata/758330/pfx winetricks xact

You might need to manually add xaudio2_8 and xaudio2_9 with winecfg, just like the guide suggests. I'm not sure if they are actually needed, but it seemingly fixed some crackling audio problems on boot (might be an anomaly). EDIT: Yeah, crackling audio seems to be an intermittent problem on my system. Sometimes it boots with it, sometimes not. So you may not need these extra overrides after all.

I also think that the edited run file could be integrated into Steam directly, as presumably this is what Proton itself does. This will mean the game could just be run from Steam as you would any other game. I'm not sure how to achieve this, though.

EDIT: Add as a non-steam game to get Steam Controller support working properly, if it isn't already.

Thank you added it to the guide even through mine doesn't have pronton_$USER folder.

Hrm =\

Sound still doesn't seem to want to work on my installation (Proton is a non-option for me right now, Arch user, and I'm too lazy to compile llvm. Not to mention I like not using proton when it isn't necessary). Got my prefix set up with DXVK and XACT installed via winetricks. Got all the DLLs added as overrides, and still no voices. Everything else works perfectly (including a total lack of those rendering issues you had)... Just no voice clips.

Thank you added it to the guide even through mine doesn't have pronton_$USER folder.

It might be limited to the beta version (Proton 3.7-4 beta)

pyrokineticdew: Check that the overrides are actually created with winecfg.

So I was thinking something. Isn't it a better idea to replace the launcher instead of bypassing it? Basically, someone with any programming skills at all could create a very simple win32 program that can run on wine, with two buttons. One button launches Shenmue 1 and the other button launches Shenmue 2. Nothing fancy, it just launches the .exe of the game you choose. Then we replace the .exe of the launcher with this custom launcher. Then we launch the game through Steam. It sounds like a much cleaner solution no?

So I was thinking something. Isn't it a better idea to replace the launcher instead of bypassing it? Basically, someone with any programming skills at all could create a very simple win32 program that can run on wine, with two buttons. One button launches Shenmue 1 and the other button launches Shenmue 2. Nothing fancy, it just launches the .exe of the game you choose. Then we replace the .exe of the launcher with this custom launcher. Then we launch the game through Steam. It sounds like a much cleaner solution no?
I think is not worth the effort through.
Since Proton will change constantly. As well the launcher is utterly useless it's only there to choose between 2 games.
Better to target the original game instead.

Hrm =\

Sound still doesn't seem to want to work on my installation (Proton is a non-option for me right now, Arch user, and I'm too lazy to compile llvm. Not to mention I like not using proton when it isn't necessary). Got my prefix set up with DXVK and XACT installed via winetricks. Got all the DLLs added as overrides, and still no voices. Everything else works perfectly (including a total lack of those rendering issues you had)... Just no voice clips.
Did you follow the video instructions fully? This fixed my sound issue completely. There was no voice, ambient music would not play and only sound effects would play.

you have to add all versions one by one and set to native windows. Just like in the video.
What do you think may be the rendering issues I am facing? Got any solution to try out?

error.png
I get these errors when game starts, they may be the cause of my graphic issues.
How could I fix them?

I get those same messages, but not any graphical issues so it may be unrelated.

As for the mods, it's because injectors mostly don't work in Wine.

Reactions: Ren
I get those same messages, but not any graphical issues so it may be unrelated.

As for the mods, it's because injectors mostly don't work in Wine.
Thank you, not been able to inject in wine is disappointing.

Big thread bump, I know. But just a heads up for anyone still interested, Shenmue I & II was recently marked as a playable game in Proton 6.3. I've not tested it myself but hopefully it should be a better experience now,

Big thread bump, I know. But just a heads up for anyone still interested, Shenmue I & II was recently marked as a playable game in Proton 6.3. I've not tested it myself but hopefully it should be a better experience now,

I'll have to try it out later; but I'm willing to bet it's marked playable now because the launcher works, finally (no idea if it actually does, I'm just guessing it does). That was the big issue, the actual S1/S2 executables worked just fine, FAudio worked for audio if you set it up yourself (iirc), but the easier solution for me was to use SARP, that Just Worked™ for me every time I tried it, but YMMV.

Back