Release: Shenmue Dreamcast Explore Tool 1.5

shengoro86

Please Kill Me.
Hi Everyone!
Here is a tool that will allow you to explore quite a bit of Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast!
NOTE: This IS NOT A NORMAL PLAYABLE COPY OF THE GAME. THERE IS NO WAY TO PLAY THE GAME NORMALLY WITH THIS.​

Many of us have been hacking away at the games for a long time so here is a combined tool that encompasses the following:
1. Most of Shenmue 1 Areas have been hacked for FreeRoam (Credit - Giorgio for mapinfo technique + shengoro86 for sub IPAC hacks)
2. What's Shenmue Dobuita has been ported to Shenmue 1 Engine and is hacked for freeroam (Credit - Shengoro86)
3. Beta Dobuita now explorable for first time! (Credit - ReeceKun + Shengoro86)
4. Beta Yamanose + Sakuragaoka fully playable with and without clipping (Credit - Wude + Shengoro86)
4. Beta Debug Menu fully operational (Credit - Shendream)
5. Selfbootable Tool for easy console/emulator use (Credit - Sizious + DCSWAT + ShenTrad)

WARNING:
- THIS TOOL IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES AND TO HAVE A WAY TO DOCUMENT THE LEVEL DESIGNS AND SECRETS OF SHENMUE!
- THIS TOOL IS ONLY FOR THE DREAMCAST VERSION OF SHENMUE 1 AND DOES NOT INVOLVE THE RE-RELEASE AT ALL.
- Some maps WILL freeze the engine which can cause issues if being played on a physical console!
- The release is TOO BIG for a 80min CDR, 99 min CDRs are dangerous! So be careful if burning to a physical disc!

NOTES:
- This tool can boot on both an emulator AND a console via CDR, ATA Drive via DreamShell, or ODE.
- This tool does NOT let you play the game normally and the hacks involved break any possible way of progressing. This is a byproduct AND on purpose.
- This tool is unstable due to clipping hacks. Freezing will occur if you try to do specific things such as buy a soda/capsule toy/etc. I believe this is due to how the engine chain loads the code from the main map to the event code and as far as I know is not fixable.
- This is not complete. I still have more work to do on it.

Credit:
Pretty much everyone who has contributed to the Shenmue Mod Scene over the years.

Map Codes! Use Entry 00 unless specified elsewhere.
- Hazuki Dojo -
JOMO - Ryo's House (kinda broken)
JHD0 - Hazuki Residence
YDB1 - Hazuki Basement (not done. for next update)

- Yamanose -
JU00 - Retail Yamanose
JU01 - Beta Yamanose with No Clip
JU02 - Beta Yamanose with Vanilla Mapinfo from Beta (not playable)
JU03 - Beta Yamanose with Beta Clipping (playable) (running off of ramps will make Ryo float on ground level)

- Sakuragaoka -
JD00 - Retail Sakuragaoka
JD01 - Beta Sakuragaoka with No Clip
JD02 - Beta Sakuragaoka with Vanilla Mapinfo from Beta (not playable)
JD03 - Beta Sakuragaoka with Beta Clipping (playable) (running off of ramps will make Ryo float on ground level)

- Dobuita -
D000 - Retail Dobuita
D001 - Wish Road (Using Dobuita Metadata)
D002 - What's Shenmue Dobuita
D003 - BETA Dobuita!
DCBN - Tomato Convenience Store
DYKZ - Nagai Industries
DURN - Lapis Fortune Teller
DTKY - Maeda Barber Shop
DSLT - Slot House
DSLI - Bar Linda
DSKI - Global Travel Agency
DRSA - Russiya China Shop
DRME - Manpukuken Ramen
DPIZ - Bob's Pizzaeria
DKTY - Antique Shop
DKPA - Nana's Karaoke Bar
DJAZ - MJQ Jazz Bar
DGCT - You Arcade
DCHA - Ajiichi
DBYO - Bar Yokosuka
DBHB - Heartbeats Bar
DSBA - Yamaji Soba Noodles
TATQ - Tattoo Parlor
JABE - Abe Store Candy Shop

- Harbor -
MFSY - Harbor with hacked lounge and cafeteria (Use ENTRY 01)
MKSG - Old Warehouse District
MKYU - Harbor Lounge

- Updates for Future Revision -
- Playable Tutorial areas from Shenmue Passport and What's Shenmue -
- Playable Hazuki Dojo basement -
- Whats Shenmue Dobuita Clipping -

Footage:

Download:
As always, contact me for a download. Linking stuff just results in broken links even though this is not a pirate copy but is a tool.

If this tool is in violation of anything at all, please let us know and it will be taken down immediately.

Apart from the content that may not be available in the re-release, how likely is it that we could port this mod to the PC re-release?
I was particularly thinking about the free roam, which I'm still not sure what it encompasses exactly apart from no-clipping. Possibly the beta content could be loaded with Forklift mod.

Apart from the content that may not be available in the re-release, how likely is it that we could port this mod to the PC re-release?
I was particularly thinking about the free roam, which I'm still not sure what it encompasses exactly apart from no-clipping. Possibly the beta content could be loaded with Forklift mod.
I am not going to be working on anything related to the rerelease. So for that question, I would ask one of the other modders on here as they would know much better than me about those techniques.

I am not going to be working on anything related to the rerelease. So for that question, I would ask one of the other modders on here as they would know much better than me about those techniques.
Sure, no problem. The essense of my question was not if you would do it yourself, rather to lay out a bit more technically what the free roam mod encompasses and how. Maybe some examples would be more useful:
- Most of Shenmue 1 Areas have been hacked for FreeRoam - does this mean that the player never triggers cutscenes and can immediatly travel from the Hazuki Residence, through every map, all the way to the harbor? Or is it entirely based on loading maps from the debug menu? Can you enter areas that are otherwise closed in normal conditions? While no-clip lets the player go anywhere on the map, closed areas are a different matter, like locked doors for example. Anyway, I'm more excited to try this mod on the DC than anything else tbh.

Last edited:
Sure, no problem. The essense of my question was not if you would do it yourself, rather to lay out a bit more technically what the free roam mod encompasses and how. Maybe some examples would be more useful:
- Most of Shenmue 1 Areas have been hacked for FreeRoam - does this mean that the player never triggers cutscenes and can immediatly travel from the Hazuki Residence, through every map, all the way to the harbor? Or is it entirely based on loading maps from the debug menu? Can you enter areas that are otherwise closed in normal conditions? While no-clip lets the player go anywhere on the map, closed areas are a different matter, like locked doors for example. Anyway, I'm more excited to try this mod on the DC than anything else tbh.
Ah ok I gotcha!
Some of my older posts on the old forums for older releases go into more detail.
All of the techniques used are pretty much documented however I can def add more detail to the initial post if needed.

However feel free to also check this site out
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemods/

Back