[RELEASE] Shenmue 1/2 - Misc Tools v2.00 - 10/09 NEW VERSION

Finally something allowing me to hide the hud, I haven't tried yet but thank you.
Disable opening the notebook for shenmue 1 as a feature?
I would also like something like this, I don't mind being able to access it from the inventory but would like to get rid of it on the X button.

Especially in shenmue 2 where it's mapped on the same button as opening doors, and when a new info come up you have to wait for the notebook to stop flashing on the X button before being able to open the doors, so getting rid of it on the X button be possible ?

Oh and btw, I disable patches and go to the harbor and the hud freezes but if i press F8 i see ryo as normal, to fix this, enter the harbor lounge with hud on and it should un freeze the UI

Others things I would like to deactivate in shenmue 2, on top of the X button to open the notebook, is the "teleportation" and "time skip" options.
Why no new updates?
If he ain't making it, we will continue where he left to close the circuit
I would like to but I really don't know how.

Any chances your tool will work without disabling it when going between locations ? I just want to unlock framerate and cap it with "RivaTuner Statistic Server" to avoid frame pacing/stutter problems without using SpecialK. So far it it works pretty well. Or maybe you can release version only with fps hack that allows to travel between loading screens ? All Shenmue community will be grateful for such tool.

Last edited:
Any chances your tool will work without disabling it when going between locations ? I just want to unlock framerate and cap it with "RivaTuner Statistic Server" to avoid frame pacing/stutter problems. So far it it works pretty well. Or maybe you can release version only with fps hack that allows to travel between loading screens ? All Shenmue community will be grateful for such tool.
You can open Shenmue.exe with a hex editor, go to offset 24B57A and replace 4A with 4C. From my limited testing, the game should now run at 60fps at all times (framerate doesn't need to be unlocked, being above 30 is enough), and you can cap it to 30 with RivaTuner or whatever.

For Shenmue2.exe, go to 33E10A and replace 901E with 5626.

I'm wondering how to interpret the Sound log. Once enabled I see something like:
PickAudioFile(BGM01)
PickAudioFile(FREE01)
PickAudioFile(FREE02)
PickAudioFile(FREE03)
PickAudioFile(FREE01)
PickAudioFile(E1011)
PickAudioFile(SA1116)
PickAudioFile(A0125A)
I've dumped disk_5be2c578.tac yet I can't seem to find files or directories with these names. I see a bunch of .SND files inside scene\XX\sound, each of which apparently contains numerous samples, but again no obvious correspondance to the names above.

Any advice on going from sound log -> sound asset?

UPDATE: Oh I think I understand, those filenames correspond to assets inside audio_eng,tac, not disk.tac. Any chance of support for printing the latter in sound log? I'm interested in learning about which ambient sounds are being played in particular scenes.

Last edited:
You can open Shenmue.exe with a hex editor, go to offset 24B57A and replace 4A with 4C. From my limited testing, the game should now run at 60fps at all times (framerate doesn't need to be unlocked, being above 30 is enough), and you can cap it to 30 with RivaTuner or whatever.

For Shenmue2.exe, go to 33E10A and replace 901E with 5626.

To be clear, these are the same patches I wrote for MiscMods:
1668284993297.png
This patch is not enough, though.. because the rest of the game still operates under the assumption that the frametime is exactly 30fps.

However, the user posted in regard to the side effect of enabling these performance codepaths, whereby the loading screen can become frozen while the patch is enabled, which is the reason why I provided the toggles in the tool itself.

Any chance of support for printing the latter in sound log? I'm interested in learning about which ambient sounds are being played in particular scenes.
I already wrote that into MiscTools, yes. Maybe it's not in the released version, not sure.

To be clear, these are the same patches I wrote for MiscMods:
View attachment 17191
This patch is not enough, though.. because the rest of the game still operates under the assumption that the frametime is exactly 30fps.

However, the user posted in regard to the side effect of enabling these performance codepaths, whereby the loading screen can become frozen while the patch is enabled, which is the reason why I provided the toggles in the tool itself.
Why not enough? The goal is just to remove the game's 30fps cap to avoid it causing improper frame pacing. The game is still being capped at 30 by an external tool.

The loading screen becoming frozen side effect is caused by the "Enable Patch" toggle in Misc Tools, not by running the game at 60fps per se. It's entirely possible to do it without that side effect, but in Misc Tools you have to enable that toggle first to be able to use the 60fps one.

Why not enough? The goal is just to remove the game's 30fps cap to avoid it causing improper frame pacing. The game is still being capped at 30 by an external tool.
Because the game will still have bad framepacing. You're only covering up half of the issue by capping with an "external tool".
The loading screen becoming frozen side effect is caused by the "Enable Patch" toggle in Misc Tools, not by running the game at 60fps per se. It's entirely possible to do it without that side effect, but in Misc Tools you have to enable that toggle first to be able to use the 60fps one.
I reversed and wrote the patches you're describing. The game uses both the "60fps" and "200+fps" offsets that I found 3 years ago during loading sequences. The 200FPS patch specifically uncaps all components of the engine and thus loading happens a lot quicker. You can certainly force the game to run in the way you describe, but again you are ignoring the countless issues that arise simply by doing so, or that the patches exacerbate which already existed (but were just not that visible before patching).

Also, I can assure you, if you patch the 200FPS offset and then load into a new area, you will be stuck at a loading screen. I have done hundreds of hours of reverse engineering work on both of these games to be able to say this with certainty.

The 60fps codepath is more stable in this regard, but you still have issues.

In the below GIF, you'll see that the 200FPS offset in this example is set to 1 during loading (also occurs during area changes when already in-game, not just from the main menu) and then set back to 0 when loading has finished. The reason I decided to implement the "Toggle Patches" requirement for the performance patches was for this reason. In MiscTools, I force the value to be set only if "Toggle Patches" is set, which should let the game do its own thing. The reason it freezes is because MiscTools is trying to set the value to 1, but the loading screen logic tries to set it to 0 when it completes loading and is unable to do so because of the patch in MiscTools, so naturally the option to allow the game to manage this itself seemed sensible.

Last edited:
Because the game will still have bad framepacing. You're only covering up half of the issue by capping with an "external tool".
In my experience, with something like half vsync or RivaTuner scanline sync the frame pacing is fine. I mostly played the game on Linux, and it's completely fine using the 60fps patch and dxvk's "dxgi.syncInterval" to cap to 30. Without this, it stutters frequently. It also works fine with gamescope capping the fps. And I've never run into any issue for running the game like that. You have to keep in mind that the arcade games need to run at 60 if you want to play them, but other than that...

I can't seem to get this dll injected. I used CheatEngine and followed directions in first post, but it errors out with: "Failed to inject the dll loader". I also used ExremeInjector and it says successful but my shenmue.exe crashes so doesn't work. I'm just trying to have Forklift and MiscTools running at the same time, so I can use both. What am I doing wrong, or is there a better approach?

Anyone else run into that above. It would be cool to run this, but I don't want to loose my mods using forklift :/. Any help would be appreciated :).

I'm having issues loading the mod. I have the Cheat Engine app and everything and loaded everything and stated. But I cannot get the menu to show up. I pressed all the F buttons from F1 to F12 and still nothing. Any tips?

Back