Real life branded bottles

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I have discovered this years ago and I briefly mentioned it on the old Dojo, where it didn't quite get a lot of attention.
As I was thinking about Shenmue I & II recently, this came back to me and I think that it is of even more interest now.

I made a whole blog post about this and I'd be glad if you check that out. I haven't been posting on there for something like 10 weeks and it might take this long again for something to surface there, so I'm taking this chance to only promote it here and not in some dedicated topic again.

http://bluemue.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-unknown-product-placement.html

In case you just want a quick read here, I'll briefly sum up the situation.
In Shenmue there is a texture for a bottle that unmistakeably has the brand logo of Glenfiddich whiskey on it.
glenshens.jpg
This is not a brand that was featured officially and it seems that no one ever took note of this. It is a very obscure little detail but still, if the wrong person had noticed this, who knows what stupid actions they would've taken. I hope this won't ever be the case and somehow hurt Shenmue and that is where I & II comes into play. With the increased resolution it will be much easier to spot this. And with the newly edited assets to get rid of the original licenses and other small changes that apparently happened here and there, I really wonder if someone at Sega or d3t noticed this and it was also something that had to be changed.

Am I right in thinking there were bottles of Jack Daniels in the game too?

I remember you mentioning that before but I never bothered to look for it myself. Aside from the legal issues it's just a nice and fitting little detail, like so many other things in Shenmue.

It does make you wonder if they looked at every texture or just used a program to convert them all to higher resolution and never bothered "fixing" the ones people did not know about. Maybe they can just rename it to Shenfiddich.

No Jack Daniels, every other bottle label seems to be made up and there is nothing that looks rather like that.
Been checking around a bit more, just to be sure. Bob's Pizzeria has some unique ones and some more things on the beer dispensers.

It was worth it because I also checken Shenmue II again and the textures are almost completely reused there.
However, the main interest of this topic/blogpost/research was in fact changed!
gldn.jpg
Interestingly the texture for the shelves behind the bartenders are still showing the original logo. But there it's so blurry and out of the way that it is really barely recognizable. And "Shenfiddich" would've been a much better name!

I wonder if this one will sneak through the cracks of the HD ports. Sega confirmed the real life brands will be gone but since this ones never been acknowledged maybe it will go unnoticed.

Back