Random Shenmue Thoughts

Until I switched to Japanese rap at work, as it helps the day go by faster, for almost 10 months or so, I was going through these soundtracks all day, every day.

Discovered my love for some tunes that were just in-passing during gameplay or that you miss altogether.

Until I switched to Japanese rap at work, as it helps the day go by faster, for almost 10 months or so, I was going through these soundtracks all day, every day.

Discovered my love for some tunes that were just in-passing during gameplay or that you miss altogether.
Hell yeah I love Japanese rap. What are you into, Scha Dara Parr?

Hell yeah I love Japanese rap. What are you into, Scha Dara Parr?

Not a huge fan of them, but that era: King Giddra (I first started giving Japanese music a chance because of Bushido by Zeebra on Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!, so Zeebra is king for me lol), Buddha Brand, Lamp Eye (I've listened to a good 200+ J-Rap songs over the past decade and Shogen is still the best J-Rap song, IMO), Twigy, Muro, a bit of Soul Scream, a bit of Microphone Pager, TAK the Rhyme, all of those guys that came just after SDP lol.

I don't know how Dev Large was as a person, but he is such an underrated player in rap, on the entire scene all over the world. The guy wrote fantastic stuff and his flow on EVERY song is just phenomenal, it's a shame he passed away. After Zeebra, he'd be my favourite rapper (and I mean anything he does, be it Buddha Brand, solo, guesting, etc.).

Wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means (and a lot of stuff from the last decade is derivative shit like how it has been in the west {on the whole} for the past 2 decades), but what I'm into, I'm REALLY into lol.

Who do you listen to mainly? :)

Not a huge fan of them, but that era: King Giddra (I first started giving Japanese music a chance because of Bushido by Zeebra on Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!, so Zeebra is king for me lol), Buddha Brand, Lamp Eye (I've listened to a good 200+ J-Rap songs over the past decade and Shogen is still the best J-Rap song, IMO), Twigy, Muro, a bit of Soul Scream, a bit of Microphone Pager, TAK the Rhyme, all of those guys that came just after SDP lol.

I don't know how Dev Large was as a person, but he is such an underrated player in rap, on the entire scene all over the world. The guy wrote fantastic stuff and his flow on EVERY song is just phenomenal, it's a shame he passed away. After Zeebra, he'd be my favourite rapper (and I mean anything he does, be it Buddha Brand, solo, guesting, etc.).

Wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means (and a lot of stuff from the last decade is derivative shit like how it has been in the west {on the whole} for the past 2 decades), but what I'm into, I'm REALLY into lol.

Who do you listen to mainly? :)
You just named most of them! :ROFLMAO: Do you like Rhymester? They're another early group like SDP, but they're well worth checking out. Gaki Ranger are great and still going strong too! Oh and Shakkazombie! If you like Microphone Pager you've got to check them out! And Ozrosaurus!

Man, Japanese rap is such a rich genre I could spend my life listening to it and still not listen to all the great artists out there :ROFLMAO:
And that's before even getting into hip-hop inspired electronica and breakbeat etc!

When it comes to more modern stuff, I think Tamaki Roy and Ken the 390 are pretty awesome. I'm definitely more of an old-school hip hop guy in general, and those guys have that kind of feel to them.

Gaki Ranger is the only one I haven't heard, I'll look 'em up :)

悪趣味節 by Rhymester has a great opening to it, but once the song progresses, I'm not a fan :LOL: Area Area is one of my favourite rap songs ever, it's an incredible ear worm!

And I agree: I've discovered something new every week when I listen to the compilations and stuff on YT, it is a VERY complex and expansive genre and one would never guess that, normally.

For modern stuff, I only have a few tracks on my iPod, with Zeebra taking up most of the spots, but I have a couple of Simon Jap songs (the same song actually, just 2 different versions lol), I don't mind Anarchy (who can be considered an old school guy as well, actually) and with my favourite Japanese group of any genre being RIZE, anything or anyone Jesse collaborates with, I'll generally be into :)

Yeah just found it to be random. What is the oddest or random dialouge you have had with a NPC in the Shenmue games.
Misquoting Shenmue is one of my favourite things. There's Wan Chai and there's Chawan, but usually I will put very convinced "Chai Wan". The chai/tea thing makes the shortcircuit.

Odd and random: recently searching for Gao Ding at Shenmue 2, Fortune Pier, Gambling warehouse.
- Excuse me, uuh...
- Ah, play one game first, then I'll answer.
(Ryo makes one bet on 'Roll It On Top' in the crowded room, filled with noise and cigaratte smoke and proceeds to re-question)
- Is this a gambling house?
- Yes.

Last edited:
Misquoting Shenmue is one of my favourite things. There's Wan Chai and there's Chawan, but usually I will put very convinced "Chai Wan". The chai/tea thing makes the shortcircuit.

Odd and random: recently searching for Gao Ding at Shenmue 2, Fortune Pier, Gambling warehouse.
- Excuse me, uuh...
- Ah, play one game first, then I'll answer.
(Ryo makes one bet on 'Roll It On Top' in the crowded room, filled with noise and cigaratte smoke and proceeds to re-question)
- Is this a gambling house?
- Yes.
Im sorry but i have been very tired recently

Back