Random Shenmue Thoughts

I can understand everything being said. I even agree with a lot of it. I certainly don’t expect Yu to communicate that no one is willing to fund it, but there are ways to communicate the status without this (still scoping project, working new ideas, etc.). I have been invested in this series for over 20 years now. We witnessed a miracle with Shenmue 3. I will continue to hope that we get a conclusion.

I think the reality is if we don’t get an announcement that Shenmue 4 is in production soon, I don’t see it happening. We waited 15 years for the third game. We were lucky to get remasters of the first 2 games prior to the third. We are now over 3 years with no news of a 4th. I hope COVID and all the crap that came with it is the reason for the delay. Who will be left waiting for a 4th game if we are waiting another 3-5 years? Fewer and fewer people. At that point the only way it becomes more attractive to investors is if they remake the whole saga so people can experience the full story. If there is no funding for just a sequel, I don’t see someone funding a complete revamp.

If this is the reality, then I would like some other format to conclude the story. The anime would be perfect but I’ll take a manga/book also.

Oof, imagine the clickbait bullshit negativity rehashing "sHeNmUe dEaD" if they were to officially announce no work has been done or currently progressing--regardless if there's still a chance.
The internet and particularly social media is a cesspool of hate and people will use it to slam anything. Companies and people can’t live in fear of these haters.

There is no scenario available from no comments to a full blown reveal and gorgeous remake of the entire series that won’t generate hate and negativity.

The internet and particularly social media is a cesspool of hate and people will use it to slam anything. Companies and people can’t live in fear of these haters.

There is no scenario available from no comments to a full blown reveal and gorgeous remake of the entire series that won’t generate hate and negativity.
I miss the days where you would have to buy a gaming magazine to keep up to date with upcoming projects. It's hard to consume any kind of news on a new game nowadays without having to read someone's negative opinion(s), even if you try to avoid doing so. At least when you bought a magazine, you could read the article, look at the screenshots and decide for yourself if it's your thing or not.

On that topic, I still remember reading about Shenmue 2 in an old gaming magazine. I say reading but I was mostly looking at the pictures and imagining myself playing the game :LOL:. For whatever reason, I can still remember the first screenshots of the wise man's quarter...

Not sure if anyone follows this travel channel but I was taken aback by how accurate Shenmue II still feels to modern-day Hong Kong, just in terms of atmosphere. Watch this and tell me you don't see Wan Chai with the steep stairs and planter boxes...most of the buildings are still the same '60/'70s concrete and tile monstrosities.

*Also, the staircase in the apartment he's staying in...looks like every apartment in S2 :cool:

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone follows this travel channel but I was taken aback by how accurate Shenmue II still feels to modern-day Hong Kong, just in terms of atmosphere. Watch this and tell me you don't see Wan Chai with the steep stairs and planter boxes...most of the buildings are still the same '60/'70s concrete and tile monstrosities.

*Also, the staircase in the apartment he's staying in...looks like every apartment in S2 :cool:
I have been there a few times and when im on Nathan Road i always have the Golden Qr theme in my head

I could pass those unmelted cheese blocks at 8 & 11 but adding children tongues to pizzs is offlimits for me.
You again! Oh, wait... At last, something we agree on!

Unless you like pineapple on pizza, of course; in which case, back in the immurement box you go! Which reminds me: how did you get out in the first place?

Pineapple on Pizza is nice
JKKjS8zoZnyNRVLmL3g6ICK9PM3qUuhBy4YxuScONGRYmc7QCWQkO-ajo4XeYxs5k9IqpnRpUL1wwNQW8yqbInkk0g354t7Z_xuwUujoNdVkzbE6-XDmgexmpb6lhxfe2mCZqaY_

I've been thinking recently with the cancelation of the Shenmue anime maybe there just isn't enough meat on the bone for Shenmue projects. The anime did well according to our inside source but it still was dropped. Shenmue definitely has a market but it just might not be enough for the corporate world to entertain. Nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: red
Back