Random Shenmue Thoughts

Every time I look at the Shenmue soundtrack on Spotify, it seems as if it were designed meticulously to annoy me. Let's upload a collection of Shenmue music, except the FREE tracks, most of Hong Kong & Guilin. If those tracks were there, I'd stream them enough times to create revenue to fund Shenmue 4 myself, I want to have a big ol vibe while walking through town, but nooooo, they cried.

Every time I look at the Shenmue soundtrack on Spotify, it seems as if it were designed meticulously to annoy me. Let's upload a collection of Shenmue music, except the FREE tracks, most of Hong Kong & Guilin. If those tracks were there, I'd stream them enough times to create revenue to fund Shenmue 4 myself, I want to have a big ol vibe while walking through town, but nooooo, they cried.

Funy you mention this, I was looking to stream some Shenmue music off Spotify today and was shocked how few official and unofficial playlists there are for the great amount of Shenmue music available.

Yeah, it's pretty clever changing the words to make it sound so similar yet also making it have new meaning. But do we have official lyrics to the Tomato Mart jingle? Listening to the vocals in isolation, (will upload in time) it does kinda sound like it's saying あなたとコンビに、トマトマート rather than あなたのコンビニ、トマトマート unless I'm hearing things.
I had the same thought and went back to check after hearing the Family Mart one! Hm I don't think any "official" lyrics have ever been released for the Tomato Mart one but on re-listening I hear a の there rather than a と... I think :D

That's why there is 1 cardinal rule: if you are a music afficionado, stay TF away from Spotify and keep chugging with a personal music player (or your phone, if you can't be arsed).

Spotify is terrible, always has been, always will be and the quality will never beat FLAC/lossless that you can get out of a device.

Sometimes, change is a bad thing and that especially rings true when the change isn't an evolution.

That's why there is 1 cardinal rule: if you are a music afficionado, stay TF away from Spotify and keep chugging with a personal music player (or your phone, if you can't be arsed).

Spotify is terrible, always has been, always will be and the quality will never beat FLAC/lossless that you can get out of a device.

Sometimes, change is a bad thing and that especially rings true when the change isn't an evolution.
I have never understood Spotify’s appeal, pretty much for the reasons you describe.

Nearly 4 years since I last played 1&2. I think that is my personal record!

I'm going to be stubborn and hold out until Shenmue 4 has a release date to play them again.

good idea, it keeps it fresh for the next time you play.

i still need to do a full english play through 1-3, which i plan to do this year. ( ive played s1 in english many times but for some reason i couldn't bring myself to play s2 in english - original xbox ).

Is it just me, or is this bird trying to contact Yuanda Zhu? :unsure:

View attachment 17741
Well everybody knows that bird is the word.

Btw, I'm the only one who loves when Fang Mei wonders about Yuanda Zhu? We ask her and she gets nailed to the floor like a squirrel and starts very cute voice actress "hmmm.. Yuanda Zhu (what a zhu sound oh buoy), Yuanda Zhu..." Loops a few more "Yuanda Zhu" and merrily adds "nah, not a clue Ryo. Aya! Did you saw a crow with my pantis?" That's Fang Mei

And the ominous bgm at Man Mo Temple just adds more weirdness to it.

I work in an buddhist cultural center as a media manager. And always before events I have to prepare the red hall (sounds very shenmueish). So for quiet a while I put on FREE 15 extended on speaker and let the magic happen. :blush:

Many people come to me afterwards and say something like: "This music makes the place so peaceful, what is it?" When I tell them, they are e absolutely delighted and a bit shocked 🙃 Its one of my favorite parts of the day.

Hey beloved Dojo,

here is a short clip that I made in regards of the last story. Hope you love it as much as I do/did while making the video. Lets get Shenmue IV!
https://youtube.com/shorts/ltuuS0-PluA?feature=share

All the best,
Jank

p.s Different music for the specific purpose. Who knows which track and why? :giggle::coffee:

Hey beloved Dojo,

here is a short clip that I made in regards of the last story. Hope you love it as much as I do/did while making the video. Lets get Shenmue IV!

All the best,
Jank

p.s Different music for the specific purpose. Who knows which track and why? :giggle::coffee:
It’s the SaveShenmue shrine night music, because you… want to save Shenmue?

Hey beloved Dojo,

All the best,
Jank

I like it very much! You nailed the FREE feeling. Supposed you we're using a headcamera but the turning at the end just confused me: same spot than starting, no visible guide marks, swift precission... Like a kata. Do you karate, mate? I bet you do/did.

I like it very much! You nailed the FREE feeling. Supposed you we're using a headcamera but the turning at the end just confused me: same spot than starting, no visible guide marks, swift precission... Like a kata. Do you karate, mate? I bet you do/did.
Thanks man, really appreciate it. No Headcamera, just waving around with the phone and at the end putting it back in the pocket, I think :-D ( Could have been a kata, my boss was nearby :-D)

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere (I've been away at a stag do), but one of Shenmue's biggest supporters has left Eurogamer and used Shenmue as his farewell message.

FEyUwejWQAYktrE.jpg

I think about this man literally anytime I wish my colleagues a good morning over Teams. I wish it wasn't the case but it is what it is.

FEyUwejWQAYktrE.jpg

I think about this man literally anytime I wish my colleagues a good morning over Teams. I wish it wasn't the case but it is what it is.
Tell them all that it’s time for their daily warmup race, to all do their best now, and that same as always, it’s three laps to the finish. Then ask if everybody’s ready, tell them to be on their marks and that it’s almost time to go. Then count down from three, two, one, go! Afterwards pick five of them at random and send each of them a picture of one of the forklift capsule toy prizes.

“Not bad for a rookie!”

Seriously, I know exactly the feeling you are having and it sucks. It’s bad enough having to work with these people in this job without having to pretend I like them too.

Back