Random Shenmue Thoughts

The second character looks like Hisaka Sawano to me, right? The other almost looks like a beta model of Terry but I am sure someone more informed can chime in.
I think you’re correct on both counts

I tried for hours and hours and hours to get that particular scroll. In the end, I had a moment of clarity and realised the impending aneurysm just wasn't worth the hassle and accepted defeat. I'm not bitter, I swear.
The extensions on that move look so cool. Demon's triangle makes me really bitter, probably in the top 3 most badass moves in the game and you can't use it in the story. I spammed it on Baihu in the VS mode, though...

The second character looks like Hisaka Sawano to me, right? The other almost looks like a beta model of Terry but I am sure someone more informed can chime in.
Yes I thought so too.

And thanks for sharing the video btw. It was very nice to wach. I really love these old footage about Shenmue in the pre release days.

I really love these old footage about Shenmue in the pre release days.

Yes, I absolutely love a lot of the early footage of Shenmue where they try to ground and immerse you in the space and environments. So there are a lot of panning shots just around different rooms and spaces, showing off the technology.

Probably why my favourite trailer of Shenmue 3, the spirit of the land follows a similar template and idea-

Last edited:
The more that time passes I realize that Sega has no plans to further the Shenmue IP. The only thing they'll do for us is release and license merchandise. The Shenmue anime performed beyond expectations according to our inside man and still all we get from Sega is the silent treatment. Only franchises Sega cares about are Sonic and Yakuza. Damn shame😓

The more that time passes I realize that Sega has no plans to further the Shenmue IP. The only thing they'll do for us is release and license merchandise. The Shenmue anime performed beyond expectations according to our inside man and still all we get from Sega is the silent treatment. Only franchises Sega cares about are Sonic and Yakuza. Damn shame😓
Their biggest sin was never doing a 3D Streets of Rage

Not sure if this was posted yet, but the latest Game Sack's episode of "Games that Push Hardware Limits" mentions Shenmue I & II (and even Passport) in its final segment:

Not one mention of the notebook. Now, that pushed the Dreamcast close to breaking point. Anyone remember that?

- Game: "Ding!"

- *presses X*

- Dreamcast: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Shenmue 1, Hazuki Residence.
Have anyone of you people ever been jumpscared by barefoot Ine-san?😰

Se reminds me the Butler in Tomb Raider 2 training level, who used to freak me out.

Upon unpacking for the new house, i've been reacquiented with some old gaming magazines. I've flicked through some like 'Arcade' magazine and they've had some Shenmue articles not on this site. I'm technologically feeble, so can only provide screenshots from a phone, but would you like them to add to the media gallery? Two i've seen so far is a preview soon after the Japanese release (where they bring a random Japanese lady off the street to help understand what's going on) and another of Yu Suzuki among the 50 most influential people in video gaming (circa '99). If I see more, i'll be glad to share them!

Upon unpacking for the new house, i've been reacquiented with some old gaming magazines. I've flicked through some like 'Arcade' magazine and they've had some Shenmue articles not on this site. I'm technologically feeble, so can only provide screenshots from a phone, but would you like them to add to the media gallery? Two i've seen so far is a preview soon after the Japanese release (where they bring a random Japanese lady off the street to help understand what's going on) and another of Yu Suzuki among the 50 most influential people in video gaming (circa '99). If I see more, i'll be glad to share them!
Yes please!

Here you go! I don't have every issue, but I've found what I believe to be every reference of Shenmue in 'Arcade' magazine. It was a pretty decent read, but didn't last too long. Interestingly, I noticed Dean Mortlock contributed to this magazine; of course he is now the editor of Sega Powered! Paul Rose (Mr Biffo of Digitiser) was another name I saw!

20221105_192522.jpg

20221105_193644.jpg20221105_195119.jpg20221105_195213.jpg20221105_195836.jpg20221105_195908.jpg
20221105_200458.jpg
20221105_201340.jpg20221105_201446.jpg20221105_201456.jpg20221105_201509.jpg

Attachments

• 20221105_193118.jpg
    20221105_193118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Here you go! I don't have every issue, but I've found what I believe to be every reference of Shenmue in 'Arcade' magazine. It was a pretty decent read, but didn't last too long. Interestingly, I noticed Dean Mortlock contributed to this magazine; of course he is now the editor of Sega Powered! Paul Rose (Mr Biffo of Digitiser) was another name I saw!

View attachment 17159

View attachment 17162View attachment 17163View attachment 17164View attachment 17165View attachment 17166
View attachment 17167
View attachment 17168View attachment 17169View attachment 17170View attachment 17171
Lengendary. Thank you so much. I will get these uploaded tomorrow.

Back