Random Shenmue Thoughts

Whenever I see 100 greatest video games of all time list and Shenmue not on there I just shake my head. So many games are copying Shenmue elements even to this day. There no way there's 100 games better than Shenmue. Top 10 top 25 I get it but top 100 no way. Yakuza as well.

Are there articles of the version differences between the Japanese and the Western/Overseas version of the first two Shenmue games for the dreamcast?
I remember a big thread at classic dusty dojo, comparing DC and Xbox Shenmue 2, lots of textures changes rangin from small edits to full changes. But for the first chapter I can't remember anything besides individuals pointing out just a few differences.
TCRF has some regional differences, wide known already, probably you have it bookmarked since long but just in case
https://tcrf.net/Category:Shenmue_series
So anybody with knowledge can submit the info.

Just like the Coke machines in the original japanese version, the Timex watch was there to ground the world in realism and to immerse the player. There was also more brands in the game but I don't remember them off the top of my head, I belive some achool bottles and lighters are real brands. All of the original brand deals had ended by the time the rerelease was coming out so they had to be switched with generic names.

Just like the Coke machines in the original japanese version, the Timex watch was there to ground the world in realism and to immerse the player. There was also more brands in the game but I don't remember them off the top of my head, I belive some achool bottles and lighters are real brands. All of the original brand deals had ended by the time the rerelease was coming out so they had to be switched with generic names.
What's an achool bottle? Is that in the game?

Ryo Statue.jpg

The anime has filled the gaps and confirmed that the Chens were active members of the underworld but why do you think the games merely implied such a role?

As a kid, I always found it weird how antique sellers were rivals with a criminal gang. I thought: 'how the hell is stopping the long zha going to be beneficial to their trade?' :LOL:

I was watching my oldest boy play The Last Of Us and there was a loading-bay-type area that included a forklift he ran past.

Me: So you mean you don’t drive the forklift in this game?

Him: No

Me: I’m afraid it’s a 0/10 from me.

Shenmue pin confirmed

Shenmue pin confirmed

What. Shut up? No way. Mine!! Omg
... Wait a minute there, what do this means SEGA? Are we getting teased?

Back