Random Shenmue Thoughts

Possible dumb question that I may have known the answer to at some point.

Why do some characters have multiple "names"? Such as "Lishao Tao -> Xiuying Hong" and "Lan Di -> Longsun Zhao". Is the first set of names more of a title? Is the idea to keep someone's identity a secret?

Possible dumb question that I may have known the answer to at some point.

Why do some characters have multiple "names"? Such as "Lishao Tao -> Xiuying Hong" and "Lan Di -> Longsun Zhao". Is the first set of names more of a title? Is the idea to keep someone's identity a secret?

"Lishao Tao" is a formal, "master," name, like how certain master had a name of something like, "Breezy Wind," or, "Crouching Tiger;" it's a name that is reminiscent of their style, background, etc.

"Lan Di," is just a cartel, "underworld," name. It probably means that Niao Sun isn't her real name either.

Has it been revealed the relevance of the fortune tellers in the games? I notice in Shenmue 2 they are even more prominent than in the first game. I wonder why they are in the game, if Suzuki had an interest in them, if they're there because of some kind of cultural thing, or if they have a mysticism connection to the rest of the game....

It's amazing that whatever point of the story you're in, you can go to a fortune teller and they have relevant and useful advice or guidance for Ryo. To have written, acted, animated all of this is so unusual. Is it just for fun?

Ryo had a quick cameo in the latest Sparks video at about 1:49

Last year's documentary "The Sparks Brothers" was absolutely brilliant and has got me into the band a lot more. Quite amusing of them to cover this song; it works really well!

Also, i'd love to think they love Shenmue....they probably don't, but still a great find!

While playing Shenmue II for the hunredth time, I noticed that with the XBOX port, it has a closer color scheme for the shoulder buttons that was shown in Shenmue II's prototype build on DC.

Dreamcast release:
Screenshot_20220502-172758_redream.png

Dreamcast proto:
4.jpg

XBOX release:
20220502_173755.jpg

The Xbox port seems brighter, but that's because taking a picture makes it brighter it's slightly darker in person.

Yakuza X Shenmue game makes sense more and more each day. Yakuza is a proven series that sells well on its own, why not add some Shenmue character models, use the Yakuza assets and laugh straight to the bank. Every Yakuza and Shenmue fanboy is gonna buy that game its a license to print money. Let's put the Yakuza vs Shenmue bickering aside and make some incredible games.

Yakuza X Shenmue game makes sense more and more each day. Yakuza is a proven series that sells well on its own, why not add some Shenmue character models, use the Yakuza assets and laugh straight to the bank. Every Yakuza and Shenmue fanboy is gonna buy that game its a license to print money. Let's put the Yakuza vs Shenmue bickering aside and make some incredible games.

I remember about what Yu Suzuki said in the interview 64 Rapid-Fire Questions with Shenmue III's Yu Suzuki.

Interviewer: Would ever want to see Shenmue x Yakuza?
Yu Suzuki: No

In my opinion Shenmue x Yakuza will not happen. Shenmue x Yakuza will only happen if SEGA decide to do this without caring about how Yu Suzuki feels, but i don't think SEGA will do this.

It would have to be something completely original and more of a fanservice game.

All the more reason to do a mascot brawler with Sega IPs, I'll just leave this here...

Finished my playthrough of Shenmue 2 today. Great game.

Going through the ending again, it's so much fun to see the mystical and magical elements in the cave and I'm really curious if the series will go back to that stuff in the future. The floating dagger, the bright red beam of light. Shenhua and Ryo being shocked from the sword. Ancient destiny.... It really opens the door to some wild stuff that didn't really make an appearance in S3.

The anime doesn't show the floating dagger either. It kind of shows the light flowing around the mirror, but not much else. We're really left in the dark on this stuff even after the 3rd game and now the anime.

Anyone knows Who is the japanese voice actor for the guard in Black clothes (I guess he is the only one Who speaks) when you are searching for the elevaror key on floor 18 of yellow head bldg?
The voice is so familiar but I just can't seem to connect to anyone

Anyone knows Who is the japanese voice actor for the guard in Black clothes (I guess he is the only one Who speaks) when you are searching for the elevaror key on floor 18 of yellow head bldg?
The voice is so familiar but I just can't seem to connect to anyone
I believe this is the guy you're referring to? https://shenmue.fandom.com/wiki/Shou_Chen

His voice actor isn't specifically credited unfortunately, however you may be able to figure it out by combing through the Japanese actors just listed as providing '(voice)' on the IMDB page? (listed under 'additional voices' in the game's credits I d imagine)

I believe this is the guy you're referring to? https://shenmue.fandom.com/wiki/Shou_Chen

His voice actor isn't specifically credited unfortunately, however you may be able to figure it out by combing through the Japanese actors just listed as providing '(voice)' on the IMDB page? (listed under 'additional voices' in the game's credits I d imagine)
Yes, thats the character. Its at 5h.46m obver here:

My new post is now in the blog of the Dojo, in this post I shared my thoughts and ideas about the theory if Ren will die sacrificing himself to protect Ryo.

This post have SPOILERS of the games and the anime.

1653370712317.png

Last edited:
Back