Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

If the 110 rumors keep on happening do you think 4 gets announced this year?

It’s really hard to tell. Has anyone tried to count how many people work at Ys Net? I saw some repetition in the credits of their two games. We did see some evidence they apparently grew in size, if the new office shows that.

I don't how Yu Suzuki could be working on Shenmue 4 and this apple arcade game simultaneously with the same dev team, unless he's got more manpower now.
They definitely expanded office space in the last year to 18 months. So it's plausible they could have 2 teams working on things.

Yes. Basically the above, plus the credits for Air Twister. Unlikely they decided to pay for a whole extra floor of office space with a slimmed down staff compared to Shenmue III, so it only stands to reason they've got two projects on the go in some capacity.

Air Twister also notable for promoting more junior staff on S3 into larger roles and being the debut of some new names to YsNet. At a guess this is to give them some extra experience in a relatively low-stakes project, whereas more senior staff are working on... something else.

Here i am thinking about Shenmue IV again.

In Shenmue II we had the awesome and intense Yellow Head building part, a part where Ryo and Ren go up every floor of the building to find Yuanda Zhu, this part has lots of action.

I had a thought now, what if something similar will happen in Shenmue IV? Ryo, Shenhua and Ren trying to enter the places that belong to The Chiyoumen, maybe Ryo will meet Ziming this way and fight with him and much more, maybe this way Ryo will meet the other leaders, this can be so intense and with a lot of action, just like in Shenmue II we had a lot of action/fights in the Yellow Head building part.

I really hope we can see something like this in Shenmue IV, this can be really amazing.

A few things that i hope remain for Shenmue IV, things that to me are part of the essence and identity of Shenmue.

1. Ryo having to ask the NPCs for more informations and clues.

2. The notebook that Ryo writes all the clues and sometimes even his feelings.

3. The mystical elements like Shenhua’s powers, the mirrors and the Shenmue tree.

If i remember other things i will edit my post.

Yu Suzuki will probably try to do new and different things for Shenmue IV and i’m okay with that, trying different and new things is a good thing, but i hope these things that i said continue in all Shenmue games.

No way in hell Air Twister took almost 3 years to make. Ysnet are up to something else. This smells like garlic to me..
It's probably unfeasible, but I wonder if they could slyly develop S4 on the side while playing with funds from Air Twister and any remaining S3 funds. Upfront payments (if that's how the air twister deal went) would surely help that kind of thing. Furthermore, if that's true, maybe they would take on more upfront payment projects (like amassing another stellar collection of SEGA-esque arcade games but for Apple) to further pay for S4 on the side.

Last edited:
Here i am thinking about Shenmue IV again.
I froze at this starting line. Its very poetic. It also seems a song title.
I also hope for keeping supernatural into the series but sincerily prefer more ambiguity in the approach. There seems to be a necessity to explain everything, fill all and each plot holes... That's fatal imo and ultimately kills all the mistery aura.
Why is that oil blob eating those kids at the lake? Its oil or what?
Why the birds suddenly went rampage on Tippi Hedren? Well, go figure. I miss that creative attitude. Its my personal belief that overexplaining and overexpanding lore kills series, and to me it played as factor of Silent Hill decline i.e. The first two games were open almost to every player interpretation while the last chapters stablished a too strict universe. So new horror games with new mistery aura untouched gets the pole.
Im sorry because Im noting being more disperse than normally but this heat wave got me fried. Im also like grumpy because couldn't sleep well.

I really hope we can see something like this in Shenmue few things that i hope remain for Shenmue IV, things that to me are part of the essence and identity of Shenmue.

1. Ryo having to ask the NPCs for more informations and clues.

2. The notebook that Ryo writes all the clues and sometimes even his feelings.

3. The mystical elements like Shenhua’s powers, the mirrors and the Shenmue tree.

If i remember other things i will edit my post
1. Regarding the costs of dubbing those npc lines, I vouch for getting the same amount of detective part that we had already but certainly expanding those sections do really sounds me good. It would be awesome to get deeper social simulación in terms of npc affinity so getting certain info. Or, I know I always end into LA Noire, but this game interrogatories even rushed and I complete implemente remains ahead of its time and even today in terms of the "layers of truth, confidence, affinity". It lacked more substance beyond being what it ended, a bland minigame. But applied in Shenmue, with the events, weather triggers an such it could play a major role.

2. Absolutely please, do. Its Shenmue quintaessence and I'll confess underlooking it at my initial playthroughs when I was younger. It wasn't until some years ago that I went for a notebook's entry completion playthrough that it gaves me a deeper (and the correct) approach to Ryo and the whole story.
When it comes at costs, this feature doesn't represents a problem to keep or even expand but... Is the appeal to new audiences what troubles me. I hope it makes the cut.
3. I believe we can be at ease with this at least. Yu-san already started that he loves this supernatural elements and his lifetime willing of making a fantasy game (partially accomplished with Air Twister but I hope he really can make what he desires and tell me us fantasy tale) and for one thing its safe betting money its the continuity of magic in Shenmue.
I'll be happy if it develops the way it has been but my taste is more aligned with ambiguity, leaving not clear if we are in presence of "real powers". The Deacon in Batman: The Cult could be a nice example of what I mean. You can think both: the guy has powers or he is tricking "you".

Please, do. Update your post when you come with more because to many of us your care, devotion, love to the series serves as inspiration and draws a smile in bitter mornings.

Ps: kanjis look good but I prefer much Hiki. Because it sounds like Kontiki. Aayaya!

All respect to Yakuza but SEGA can make another Yakuza game but can't fund 2 more Shenmue games to finish the story because it doesn't sell. $$$ I just saw that Yakuza 8 leak
Dont post under the influence of alcohol!

Edit: sorry savesup, I forgot we are not face to face at some podcast recording and that came rude. I meant I couldn't understand the post. Maybe Im the one under alcohol influence :p

Last edited:
All respect to Yakuza but SEGA can make another Yakuza game but can't fund 2 more Shenmue games to finish the story because it doesn't sell. $$$ I just saw that Yakuza 8 leak

ive seen several documentaries and new articles and to me, it seems like in japanese business culture, once something fails, they don't give it a second chance.

the big wigs at sega even turned down a jet set radio sequel and i think that would of been a hit.

Imagine if this place was an area you could explore in Shenmue IV

Wow, that looks amazing.

Before clicking on this thread, I was thinking about an idea Yu mentioned of confining the events of a whole Shenmue game to a single place. Like a train, for example.

I agree with such an idea. I'm a big fan of worlds that are more intimate because the NPC's feel richer, more vibrant. Dobuita and the harbor are prime examples of this. I would like to see quality over quantity, for sure.

Back