Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

shenmue 1 had flashbacks with ryo and his father. i think future games should have them.. also to remind the player who they are fighting for. even dreams are established storytelling methods in shenmue (so even ryo learning something from his father in a dream would be interesting.)
It's a great idea that still requires caution and measure for not breaking the rythm for the player. Maybe a set of special moves locked in your memories? I believe there's necessity of keeping the main training outside flashbacks and in a more seamless gameplay transition.
Also, the "presence" of Iwao getting blurrier at every chapter its narratively intentional.
Ryo: "Woa... Guilin...Wait, that's a dojo?"
Shenhua: "That's the Martial Arts Hall".
R: "Martial.. Arts... Hall"
S: "You can train there in order to avenge your father."
R: "Oh yeah! I was doing that, wasennt I?"

Reactions: red
Any guesses on who this future character could be from the PB trailer. Someone who trains Ryo perhaps or even Tentei
Screenshot_20230117-223346~3.png

I just thought of another possible future character I believe it was from the Shenmue Online trailer. If I'm not mistaken I could swear there's a Jacky Bryant looking guy though i may be misremembering.

I just thought of another possible future character I believe it was from the Shenmue Online trailer. If I'm not mistaken I could swear there's a Jacky Bryant looking guy though i may be misremembering.
I think that was supposed to represent an MMORPG player character but I could be wrong.

Today i remembered the day i asked my friend what she thinks Yu Suzuki will do about the future of Shenmue.

My friend think that instead of making Shenmue IV & V Yu-san will decide to combine the stories of 2 games in 1 big final Shenmue game.

Yu-san don't have many opportunities to finish Shenmue so it is an interesting idea.

I even had the idea about the name of the game... Shenmue ~ The End of the Journey ~
or something like that.

I don't know right now... something impactful

It is an interesting idea and is possible but i don't think Yu-san will make this decision, i think Yu-san will decide to make Shenmue IV and V as separate games, i feel that Yu-san will finish the series in Shenmue V but maybe he will decide to end in Shenmue IV, we don't know what is his plans for the future of Shenmue, only time will tell.

It is really hard for me to wait for news regarding how the future of Shenmue will be, it is my favorite game series and Shenmue really changed my life.

I have hope that we will have news this year, but if we don't have any news this year about how Shenmue will continue, then I'll start to get worried about the future of Shenmue in game format, but i have hope that Shenmue will continue.

I think it's time to put the hopium aside and accept the game shouldn't be made.

We had a small shot with S3. But it's plain to see now that even with the hype of the Kickstarter. Without the AAA budget the original games had it simply isn't a game that works on a shoestring.

Even if a miracle was to happen and 4 was greenlit. It won't have the budget and time needed to bring the je ne sai qoui of 1/2. And as much as I would like to see the saga finished in game form id rather no game over a rushed/poorly polished version with masses of canon missing.

I think a massive part of shenmue over the last 23 years for me has been the speculation and investigation this community has brought forward. Missing chapters explained out such as the boat chapter and the missing village in S2. Even some of the suggested endings written out by members of this forum have felt more authentic shenmue to me than the last game.

That said, I still yearn for closure. I think our best outcome would be a continuation of the anime. But we're struggling for the budget even on that.

Maybe time to cut our losses, accept defeat and put our efforts into a manga.

Even if it's a community funded one, signed off by yu. I feel like we probably have a better idea of how the story should end than maybe even him...

I think it's time to put the hopium aside and accept the game shouldn't be made.

We had a small shot with S3. But it's plain to see now that even with the hype of the Kickstarter. Without the AAA budget the original games had it simply isn't a game that works on a shoestring.

Even if a miracle was to happen and 4 was greenlit. It won't have the budget and time needed to bring the je ne sai qoui of 1/2. And as much as I would like to see the saga finished in game form id rather no game over a rushed/poorly polished version with masses of canon missing.

I think a massive part of shenmue over the last 23 years for me has been the speculation and investigation this community has brought forward. Missing chapters explained out such as the boat chapter and the missing village in S2. Even some of the suggested endings written out by members of this forum have felt more authentic shenmue to me than the last game.

That said, I still yearn for closure. I think our best outcome would be a continuation of the anime. But we're struggling for the budget even on that.

Even if it's a community funded one, signed off by yu. I feel like we probably have a better idea of how the story should end than maybe even him...
Er no.

I'd rather have absolutely no closure than accept a manga to end it. I'd have taken the Anime doing that but that seems off the table.

Also we've no idea what the journey is going to end like. The chapter tiles are one thing but actually making it is something else entirely.

Also why does 4 need the budget of the originals? Use the basis of the Shenmue 3 systems, get rid of the stamina system and improve the fighting. Then nail the story. They really don't need to reinvent the wheel.

If it was that simple it would have already been done
So why should the community give up? I'm at a loss.

Also how do you know that idea isn't on the table? YSNET is fully functional and expanded in the last 18 months. Shenmue Anime despite the WBD shit was a success.

If you want to cut your losses then that's your call and I respect it but the vast majority of the community won't be.

As I said before I'd rather we got closure in the intended way. Not a manga. Hell back in those dark days we were getting Shenmue news every 3 years or so and the franchise was more fucked now than it is now.

Don't take my words the wrong way spud, I've been here since day 1. Just talking out loud.

Would just rather the story go out with dignity and not tarnish the reputation of the originals

Don't take my words the wrong way spud, I've been here since day 1. Just talking out loud.

Would just rather the story go out with dignity and not tarnish the reputation of the originals
To be honest, I understand how you feel, as that's how I feel about new games for many other properties. I think it's a perfectly legitimate way to feel, so I respect your stance. My personal thought on the matter is this:
  • People were already determined to tarnish the reputation of the original games before 3 was even announced
  • S3 has already exhausted the possible extent of tarnishing the reputation of the originals among casual observers. I don't think S4 would make a meaningful difference in this regard
I'm not saying this is correct and objectively the only way anyone should see things, but it's how I see it. I don't think Spud or anyone else is saying getting S4 made is a simple matter, but ultimately I'm not willing to give up on it until Yu himself does.

More predictions

-Ryo goes to New York to meet Bruce Leroy to gain the power of the glow
-Ryo goes to Uganda to meet Ugandan Knuckles to learn de wae

lol, we're not given up until the very end

One thing I will say about the Shenmue community is that it does not have a defeatist mindset. If we thought like your post, we wouldn't have got shenmue 3, shenmue hd or shenmue the anime

You can give up, but the rest of us will fight on

I don't agree
If anything it's time to fight back even harder than before.

If there was a "defeat", is was when we let haters (both inside and outside the community) had their way during the kickstarter, that's what really damaged and tarnished shenmue reputation.

But shenmue fans won multiple times againts the world and the haters:

we won for kickstarter being one of the most successful one
we won for Shenmue 3 being made, we basically saved an entire franchise
we won for Shenmue 3 being a real Shenmue game experience and not something else
we won for Shenmue anime being a success

Why are you givin' up now?
There are more chance to make Shenmue 4 and 5 now compared to the past.

I am not giving up hope of more games. But given the radio silence of the past 3 plus years, even with all the momentum of the 1&2 HD remakes, kickstarter, anime, etc., the fact that we know nothing of the games future is worrisome. The fact is, the longer this goes without the story complete, our already small (yet vocal) fanbase continues to get smaller. That’s why I am more in the camp of completing the story as soon as possible and that would be through manga/book or anime.

If the story is good and well received, there can always be the chance to produce games later and it may be easier to get funding. Plus, as many people have mentioned, with the challenges of getting funding for the games, elements of the story are being cut. This seems less likely in cheaper mediums. Just like books first then movies can work well, it could work with the games also. Plus if they can’t fit everything in the game, at least we have more backstory first to fill-in and make the game more enjoyable.

Back