Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

User was warned for this post: Ignoring staff
what a gentleman
and this is the current yakuza fanbase for you.

farewell, you'll not be missed.

User was permanently banned for this post
what a gentleman
and this is the current yakuza fanbase for you.

farewell, you'll not be missed.
It's what you deserve. I've never acted like this before. Motherfucker. I hope you die just like your franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys had just used the ignore button like Spud said on the last page we could have avoided all this.

Warnings and bans issued. It's done.

As Jibby said had you both used some bloody common sense and followed my advice none of this need have happened.

I'm also sick to the back-teeth of these Shenmue v Yakuza comparisions. Both are excellent franchises and so very very different. We're not here to trash Yakuza and all this has done is make Shenmue fans look like they hate Yakuza and vicaversa which isn't the case and not what I want to foster on these forums.

Going forwards any sort of Shenmue/Yakuza comparisions will be monitored closely and dealt with swiftly if escalating like the previous posts. We're not here to shit on Yakuza. That series is one that until recently knows the struggles the Shenmue series has been through. If someone shits on Shenmue then rise above it.

I want this place to be welcoming to people who discover Shenmue, be it via Yakuza or other games.

You people still ignore my previous discovery on Shenmue Dojo dynamics, called "Tuesday to Wednesday Deflagrations & Moon Phases, Vol. 1". Go, go and check you moonatics losing grip in a pattern.

Edit: Thankfully all sets up and gets gets less overpassionate. I've only read those jokes from Dietsoap, _JP, Banenes, etc. btw, rest of derail has been necessarily skipped. The cousins shall get along.

@spud1897 I can't avoid to share a quote of responsability here. I recurrently make use of this Shenmue-Yakuza trope in a way like recalling old days, similar to Sega-Nintendo jokes. I believe this has contributed to set a mood which made this burst happen.
So given this has costed two pages here, I'm quitting the VS. anything joking from now on.

It just looked like giving a Teddy bear to a bunch of adults and watch them ripping it apart, pouring foam everywhere.

Last edited:
Here's a random thought that can perhaps get us back on topic (dunno if it's already been discussed, so apologies if so):

We know Baisha was supposed to have an infiltration aspect, and that was most likely the blueprint for the Old Castle. If we get S4, do we expect Baisha to appear, or do we expect the trio to be moving elsewhere? In the same way that I wonder if the train section will eventually appear (maybe it makes more sense on the mainland?), I wonder if Baisha will appear in a modified form.

One thing that does interest me about the ending of S3β€” regardless of what we feel about the pacing/narration of its endingβ€” is not knowing where the hell they're going next! Even if it's ambiguous by accident, it has my attention.

Here's a random thought that can perhaps get us back on topic (dunno if it's already been discussed, so apologies if so):

We know Baisha was supposed to have an infiltration aspect, and that was most likely the blueprint for the Old Castle. If we get S4, do we expect Baisha to appear, or do we expect the trio to be moving elsewhere? In the same way that I wonder if the train section will eventually appear (maybe it makes more sense on the mainland?), I wonder if Baisha will appear in a modified form.

One thing that does interest me about the ending of S3β€” regardless of what we feel about the pacing/narration of its endingβ€” is not knowing where the hell they're going next! Even if it's ambiguous by accident, it has my attention.

There seems to be a cliff (possibly even a temple) on the left of the final image at the end of the game, where it says "The story goes on...". I don't know if it's too early in the story for them to reach the temple, but it got me thinking it may be a possibility. There again, it could just be a part of the great wall and nothing to do with the temple at all.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's possible they could even meet Ge on the way there as an early boss (aka Mr Muscles) as we saw him "hidden" on this path during a development image.

As for Baisha, I'd like to think we'll still see it appear in S4. Yu is known for shifting things around as he sees fit and if good progress was already made on it before being cut for 3, we may yet see it return. Fingers crossed!

Don't discard very quickly the chance of Yu Suzuki deciding to bring back Baisha right after researching on AI, and maybe coming with a relationships/suspicions magic system. Because the common line for YS works is building a virtual slice of life, more than racing or fighting.

User was temporarily banned for this post: Continued thread derailment
As Jibby said had you both used some bloody common sense and followed my advice none of this need have happened.

I'm also sick to the back-teeth of these Shenmue v Yakuza comparisions. Both are excellent franchises and so very very different. We're not here to trash Yakuza and all this has done is make Shenmue fans look like they hate Yakuza and vicaversa which isn't the case and not what I want to foster on these forums.

Going forwards any sort of Shenmue/Yakuza comparisions will be monitored closely and dealt with swiftly if escalating like the previous posts. We're not here to shit on Yakuza. That series is one that until recently knows the struggles the Shenmue series has been through. If someone shits on Shenmue then rise above it.

I want this place to be welcoming to people who discover Shenmue, be it via Yakuza or other games.

Discovering shenmue via yakuza is great.
But in this case it wasn't genuine, he used our yakuza discussion as a chance to troll us and the shenmue series, and then to throw the rest...
Unfortunately the yakuza community is full ot these awful people now, they see the shenmue community as the enemy or the ones to be bullied, despite they were in the same situation just some years ago...

In my opinion the "shenmue vs yakuza" shouldn't be a taboo, and I don't think this sad episode changes much, if anything it will help some to realize that other communities aren't just as nice as this, also it could work as a deterrent for some outsiders who want to try the same stunt in future.

Last edited:
Don't discard very quickly the chance of Yu Suzuki deciding to bring back Baisha right after researching on AI, and maybe coming with a relationships/suspicions magic system. Because the common line for YS works is building a virtual slice of life, more than racing or fighting.

Like the "Magic Maze" system in S3? I know the stretch goal was never reached, but I assumed the MM was a kind of AI thing...

We know the original plan was to have the character perspective system, allowing you to play as both Ren and Shenhua. One thing I've wondered since the ending of Shenmue 3 is how the game is going to juggle you having two companions. I assume at some stage you will be split up/captured or be divided.

I personally don't want to play as anyone else but Ryo but it will be interesting to see how they tackle this.

Like the "Magic Maze" system in S3? I know the stretch goal was never reached, but I assumed the MM was a kind of AI thing...
The way I picture it is like an enhanced and expanded Abbey section from Kingdom Come Deliverance and Hitman series (also the lesser known The Thing game had interesting trust system, sadly also crippled at release). It should be playthrough restrictive, following a determinate path/route enables branches but block others. So in order to complete all routes, multiple playthroughs are required. Disaster Report series work similar in plot unfolding, and its quite fun (specially the girl playthrough in DR3 going for the conquer the partner heart route).
I realize this is costly to make but yet, dreaming stills free.

We know the original plan was to have the character perspective system, allowing you to play as both Ren and Shenhua. One thing I've wondered since the ending of Shenmue 3 is how the game is going to juggle you having two companions. I assume at some stage you will be split up/captured or be divided.

I personally don't want to play as anyone else but Ryo but it will be interesting to see how they tackle this.
Maybe they could have you choose who comes on small missions with you and they are then approached in different ways.

Ren more head on and Shenhua more intricate/magical.

If memory serves (maybe someone like @Spaghetti recalls), wasn't it stated in some interview that the "magic maze" was more about the effects of the environment being randomly generated? I recall some example of the S2 Guilin QTE running scenes being given as an example of the same feature.

I'm of the same mind, but I admit that the battle rally softened my resistance. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a repurposed use of Ren's fighting capacities in Baisha, though it could just be some reskinning with different moves.

Maybe they could have you choose who comes on small missions with you and they are then approached in different ways.

Ren more head on and Shenhua more intricate/magical.
Akin to the previous point, I'd welcome this sort of thing if the budget could be managed for it. As with the quality of S3's Guilin vs. Naowu, I'd welcome a smaller area with this sort of intricacy.

If Baisha was in the GDC cards, then I don't see it not making it in (IIRC, it is on card... 7? The one with the fighting monk? *EDIT, just posted the image now. It is 7), if even as a pass-through location or as a cinematic spot, etc. The only location cut so far has been the train, right? Yeah, card 4 could have been cut as well, location-wise, but not sure it was an actual location (was it? can't remember that).

chapters.jpg

The itch for the series to continue, just so we can see these cards play out, is monumental.

The infiltration gameplay, I have no opinion or anything on that, so I cannot comment.
You've already been warned to give it a rest. Have a 48 hour timeout.
Should be permanent, IMO, but I'm mum on this guy going forward. It's the constant defiance and terrible attitude, with no attempt at understanding or compromise: they are indeed not representative of the fanbase as a whole, as we are quite tolerant and welcoming.

Again, I'll shut up now.

shenmue 1 had flashbacks with ryo and his father. i think future games should have them.. also to remind the player who they are fighting for. even dreams are established storytelling methods in shenmue (so even ryo learning something from his father in a dream would be interesting.)

i think ive said it before but i think flashback training would work really well in shenmue (ryo and his father).. jedi fallen order did this really well.

here is an example of flashback training in jedi fallen order-

Last edited:
Back