Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Okay, I know this is gonna get some reaction...but just hear me out.

Would you rather Shenmue IV become another generic open world game to try and appease the masses...or would you rather the series die on the hill it lives by being Shenmue tried and true?

Keep in mind. I DON'T want Shenmue to die at all and if it needs to change with the times then so be it. But apart of me really doesn't want Shenmue to become like every other generic open world game out there. I like that Shenmue is its own weird thing. I feel like that's what makes Shenmue for me. Is that it is its own brand of open world that doesn't play by the same rules as every other generic open world game. And I think if IV happens and if it becomes like every other open world game, it will lose its identity.

I'm aware there are ways they could appease both audiences. Maybe give a traditional Shenmue mode for the hardcore and a casual mode featuring mini maps, quest identifiers and all that other junk for those who want a more modern approach.

But yeah, if push ever came to shove, would you rather Shenmue die on the sword or lose its identity and become something unrecognizable to us?

Just a question...like I said, I don't want Shenmue to die at all. I want it to keep going, but just a question.
The thing is, the masses don't seem to like those generic open world games anymore.

I said a few months back that now is the best time for a more Shenmue like Shenmue game to exist than ever before. When it comes to single player games, story focused games with smaller worlds have been a major selling point, they just need to be made well and marketed right. Just look at the Yakuza series now, it's bigger than ever.

Shenmue can be a success in the hands of talented people.

Wait do u think that’s all the areas we’re going to get in a Shenmue IV like more likely or in reality? (at least where we are now we don’t know the future)
I was just thinking out loud, a random Shenmue 4 thought I had and nothing more really. I’d envisage the journey to Baisha and bit between the Cliff Temple event and the train just being small connecting areas though. As obviously a tonne of big places in one game is never gonna happen.

I’d probably say something different if I thought about it more just now though.

Will we get Shenmue IV before 2029 ends basically before 2030? or hypothetically the Shenmue 0 before 2029 or 2030?
In my view, yes. YS talks about it in nearly every interview, he obviously wants to do it and must be trying to do it. He wouldn’t keep at it if it was clearly off the cards.

In my view, yes. YS talks about it in nearly every interview, he obviously wants to do it and must be trying to do it. He wouldn’t keep at it if it was clearly off the cards.
The issue is that the longer this takes, the less likely it becomes. A large piece of the fanbase has already waited 25 years to find out what the hell happens. If we don’t get a 4th game until 2030 or whatever, that still doesn’t finish the story, who is going to care? In my view, we are already there for some or many. Who is going to fund a grand scale game (assuming that is what Yu is waiting for) for a story that started that long ago? Seems like a trillion to one, unfortunately. He should release the story somehow in a way to make some money and perhaps if the story is good enough, it will generate some interest to make it into more games.

The issue is that the longer this takes, the less likely it becomes. A large piece of the fanbase has already waited 25 years to find out what the hell happens. If we don’t get a 4th game until 2030 or whatever, that still doesn’t finish the story, who is going to care? In my view, we are already there for some or many. Who is going to fund a grand scale game (assuming that is what Yu is waiting for) for a story that started that long ago? Seems like a trillion to one, unfortunately. He should release the story somehow in a way to make some money and perhaps if the story is good enough, it will generate some interest to make it into more games.
Completely agree with your points here. I do hold onto optimism that it’ll happen in game form, but also acutely aware that’s based on little other than blind hope at this point - as has been said a million times by now, none of us really know exactly state the series is in, unfortunately.

I wouldn’t say it’s been abandoned, the last we heard from YS - IGN interview in November, I believe? - he was talking about what he’d do with it, also think this is the only time he’s mentioned a possible reboot?

Maybe nothing is happening at the moment but I don’t think it’s been binned entirely. If the creator is thinking about it and the fans are talking about it, it’s still possible I think.

Some kind of update as to the situation would be welcome… although I don’t think it’ll be forthcoming until anything is definite one way or the other.

I think he actually left LRG not too long ago, but yeah it's cool to see.

Someone checked his Linkedin this morning and he's still at LRG according to that. Get that hype train going haha

James Mielke already has YS signature on Game Works and Shenmue amongst others, I believe. Usually posts about them each time they have a visit.

James Mielke already has YS signature on Game Works and Shenmue amongst others, I believe. Usually posts about them each time they have a visit.
What do you mean lol for some reason I didn’t understand what you said if you can paraphrase pls or add context?

I’m starting to get really worried that shenmue 4 looks like it’s not going to happen or it might happen & be the last one maybe come out in around 2029, best case scenario a $40-60M budget yu suzuki pitches it as one big final game if we get extremely lucky or a miracle happens it gets a noise of goodwill from gamers & sega sees something and does like a shenmue 0 or bank off of something like shenmue 1-3 complete edition it adds new shit like story bits & context to make shenmue 4 even more understandable i guess. I’m a newcomer played for the first time when the HD launched & i’m really starting to get worried it won’t come out I already starting to feel sadness in my heart but i am keeping the faith.

Back