Random Shenmue III Thoughts

just cause its a problem in the first game doesn't mean its excusable for a sequel to do it, and terrible localization that likely has led to harsher review scores and caused a plothole is far from a nitpick. The game's translation was very bad and if it werent for the occasional machine translated game we get every now and again, id say its the worst in recent years.
I'm not talking about translation or localization errors that cause plotholes. Those bother me as well and I've already posted several criticisms of such errors. I'm talking about Ryo asking a question about a thing, person, or place that he's already encountered. It's happened in every Shenmue game and yes, it is nitpicky and unimportant.

I'm not talking about translation or localization errors that cause plotholes. Those bother me as well and I've already posted several criticisms of such errors. I'm talking about Ryo asking a question about a thing, person, or place that he's already encountered. It's happened in every Shenmue game and yes, it is nitpicky and unimportant.
I’d argue that in a game that strives for realism, it’s pretty important. Having Ryo act like he’s hearing something for the first time when learning about it for the third time really breaks the immersion. It doesn’t bother me enough to complain about it and I’m very much used to it as it’s a common theme in the series, but dismissing other peoples’ valid criticism as ‘nitpicking’ seems a little fanboyish.

Question for people here. Should I sell my physical copy of Shenmue? I own a digital copy, already sold my slacker backer copy for £30 and currently have the limited Day 1 Edition sitting on a shelf. I was thinking of keeping it as a collectors item but thinking now I may just sell it. I never kept copies of the original games and had no real desire prior the HD versions of buying a Dreamcast again to play it. The mirror I got is on display, the light box is a little cheap looking but it's in my son's room so the only thing really I have in that big box are the patches and stickers. I'll probably keep the box somewhere but the actual game I don't need.

Question for people here. Should I sell my physical copy of Shenmue? I own a digital copy, already sold my slacker backer copy for £30 and currently have the limited Day 1 Edition sitting on a shelf. I was thinking of keeping it as a collectors item but thinking now I may just sell it. I never kept copies of the original games and had no real desire prior the HD versions of buying a Dreamcast again to play it. The mirror I got is on display, the light box is a little cheap looking but it's in my son's room so the only thing really I have in that big box are the patches and stickers. I'll probably keep the box somewhere but the actual game I don't need.
Every second hand copy on the market is potentially one less retail sale. That said, I don’t see the value going up over time, so if you plan to sell it you’ll get more now than you will later.

Fair enough, but I hope you also find it funny that Ryo can still ask for directions from Aberdeen to Wan Chai the day before he leaves for Kowloon or any of the other countless times that something similar happens in the first two games. Because at this point, it just feels like people are dogpiling Shenmue III with criticisms that it doesn't even deserve.

Fair enough, but I hope you also find it funny that Ryo can still ask for directions from Aberdeen to Wan Chai the day before he leaves for Kowloon or any of the other countless times that something similar happens in the first two games. Because at this point, it just feels like people are dogpiling Shenmue III with criticisms that it doesn't even deserve.

Damn, relax.

Last edited:

Those mirrors from the CE are fetching £25-£35 on ebay alone and the light box around £25-£30. They aren't making any more so keep it complete and this time next year it'll be worth a lot more than it is now.

Also I put my patches in an A4 frame and they look really cool ^_^

How did you display your mirror in the end?

Last edited:

It happens in most games...

After a 5 billion year gap due to stupid real life stuff, I'm finally able to get back to Shenmue 3 today! :love: Storywise, I think I left off right after guessing the animal kung-fu at a bunch of martial art shops. I don't think that really qualifies as a spoiler, at all, but just in case.

Anyone try testing if a lucky color fortune helps with getting rare capsule toys? I noticed that the capsule machines appear to be red, green, blue etc and wondered, but I was nearing the end of the game and never tested it.

Other question! What was with the forklift you find early on Bailu in one of the stonemasons houses? I never found the owner.
Alright, so I tried this out with two different color fortunes, and I don't think it did anything. I could definitely be wrong, but I wasn't feeling any difference. The first time I got a blue fortune, and it didn't seem to help me out at all on a blue machine. I did this after winning a turtle race on blue, though, and I have a suspicion that fortune rates only last until either
  • The day ends
  • Your first win on that color
whichever comes first. No proof, just a hunch. So I went back the next day, got a red fortune, and went straight to a red capsule toy machine. Still no luck. :unsure:

First time in my life I'm playing a game where the pre-recorded cutscenes are in 60fps, (e.g. the intro of the second location).

Bless Suzuki for remaining faithful to his Arcade origins.

Those mirrors from the CE are fetching £25-£35 on ebay alone and the light box around £25-£30. They aren't making any more so keep it complete and this time next year it'll be worth a lot more than it is now.

Also I put my patches in an A4 frame and they look really cool ^_^

How did you display your mirror in the end?
20191215_093250.jpg

Proudly displayed in my living room using a plastic challenger coin stand. Always was a fan of gaming memorabilia and had a few pieces when I was living in my mums house, including a Master Cheif head bust and an Xbox 360 faceplate signed by Jade Raymond.

My favourite is probably the Big Daddy figurine but since moving in with my now wife and then us getting a place together, I've never displayed it and it's been in a random location in my room. Now, it's front and centre of my living room and I don't care what the wife has to say, it's staying!

Back