Random Shenmue III Thoughts

As much as it bums me out to see stuff like this being published, it’s perhaps more disappointing that YS Net seems content to do nothing about it.

With all this NFT business, it’s clear that they’re not overly bothered about the studio’s reputation, but this is straight up defamation. If they do ever decide to go down the crowdfunding route again, stuff like this will have a hugely negative impact - especially if it’s allowed to become the established narrative.

Anybody that can't spell Phoenix properly in an article, doesn't get my time or attention.

Aspects of this aren't exactly wrong...

The Epic Store exclusivity was a large controversy and a lot of PC backers were pissed. I remember it being a huge deal both inside and outside the Shenmue community.

The plot was poorly received.

"Right before its release, Shenmue 3 was declared an Epic store exclusive, which sparked a wave of discontent among Steam users. The myriad of issues at launch didn't help to improve its bad reputation either.

With more than $6 million of backing, avid fans of the Shenmue series were expecting a full title with better graphics and gameplay. While many may admire the charm of Shenmue 3, its plot was also poorly received by fans and newcomers to the series."

But they really should have stopped here ("While Shenmue 3 may not be officially a scam") and not gone with the clickbait headline. That headline is just a lawsuit begging to happen.

It's completely wrong that Shenmue 3 is included in an article with that headline. I assume it's a lazy article with no research done whatsoever (I only got as far as reading what they wrote about Shenmue 3) since they went the easy route of picking on Shenmue instead of going with many of the various projects that blew all its backers' money and then disappeared...

Aspects of this aren't exactly wrong...

The Epic Store exclusivity was a large controversy and a lot of PC backers were pissed. I remember it being a huge deal both inside and outside the Shenmue community.

The plot was poorly received.

"Right before its release, Shenmue 3 was declared an Epic store exclusive, which sparked a wave of discontent among Steam users. The myriad of issues at launch didn't help to improve its bad reputation either.

With more than $6 million of backing, avid fans of the Shenmue series were expecting a full title with better graphics and gameplay. While many may admire the charm of Shenmue 3, its plot was also poorly received by fans and newcomers to the series."

But they really should have stopped here ("While Shenmue 3 may not be officially a scam") and not gone with the clickbait headline. That headline is just a lawsuit begging to happen.

It's completely wrong that Shenmue 3 is included in an article with that headline. I assume it's a lazy article with no research done whatsoever (I only got as far as reading what they wrote about Shenmue 3) since they went the easy route of picking on Shenmue instead of going with many of the various projects that blew all its backers' money and then disappeared...
As I said elsewhere, not liking it or being disappointed is a matter of opinion. But “scam” is just straight-up wrong, offensive and, frankly, legally dicey.

As I said elsewhere, not liking it or being disappointed is a matter of opinion. But “scam” is just straight-up wrong, offensive and, frankly, legally dicey.

Exactly. I am surprised they went with the word "scam". I wouldn't think that's particularly wise, even in the case of "genuine" scams.

Even with the whole Epic situation, as a lot of us on our side of the debate said, all that was promised during the campaign was a physical release and a digital release. They delivered that, regardless of whether people like the method or not. Steam was never mentioned and the actual game being on the disc(s) wasn't mentioned at all. No one was deceived. Everything after that (when Steam was mentioned and a backer was informed the plan was for the game to be on the PC discs) is subject to change really.

Exactly. I am surprised they went with the word "scam". I wouldn't think that's particularly wise, even in the case of "genuine" scams.

The only good content on sportskeeda is the stuff that they steal from other sites and reword. This is just what happens when they try and generate their own content for a change.

Doing a Top 5 scam list and starting the #1 with "While not really a scam..." seems like pretty poor article writing... Doesn't make me want to read the rest, if you get my drift.

Yesterday i was looking at the design of the discs of Shenmue II and i had a idea, i thought it would be fun to imagine the discs of Shenmue III if Shenmue III were released for Dreamcast, i saw people doing the cases, but i never saw people doing the design of the discs so i decided to do the design of the discs for the Shenmue Community.

Shenmue III Disc 1 ~ Bailu Village ~

Shenmue III Disc 1.jpegShenmue III Disc 1..jpeg

Shenmue III Disc 2 ~ Bailu Village ~

Shenmue III Disc 2.jpegShenmue III Disc 2..jpegShenmue III Disc 2...jpeg

Shenmue III Disc 3 ~ Baillu Village and Niaowu ~ or maybe ~ Niaowu ~

Shenmue III Disc 3.jpegShenmue III Disc 3..jpegShenmue III Disc 3...jpegShenmue III Disc 3....jpegShenmue III Disc 3.....jpegShenmue III Disc 3......jpeg

Shenmue III Disc 4 ~ Baisha ~

Here i put Ryo and the Great Wall to show that the game would continue after Niaowu.Shenmue III Disc 4.jpeg

In this version i put Ryo and Baisha
Shenmue III Disc 4..jpeg

It was fun to imagine the discs of Shenmue III for Dreamcast, maybe i will do more someday. 💚

James did the cut for me and now is complete, feel free to use but if you post on social media please give the credit, thank you. 💚

Shenmue III Disc 1~ Bailu Village ~

Disc 1 - 1..pngDisc 1 - 2.png

Shenmue III Disc 2 ~ Bailu Village ~

Disc 2 - 1..pngDisc 2 - 2.pngDisc 2 - 3.png

Shenmue III Disc 3 ~ Bailu Village and Niaowu ~ or maybe just ~ Niaowu ~

Disc 3 - 1..pngDisc 3 - 2..pngDisc 3 - 3..pngDisc 3 - 4..pngDisc 3 - 5.pngDisc 3 - 6.png

Shenmue III Disc 4 ~ Baisha ~

Disc 4 - 1..pngDisc 4 - 2.png

Last edited:
I finished Shenmue 3 just once in 2019 because for me it doesn't have that magic that the previous ones had and the story it's too short and not that interesting.
I'm trying to replaying it again but I have to say one thing that bugs me a lot..

Among the lot of things I like from Shenmue, one of them was the music. Not only the most known like "Waves of morning haze" (it was brilliant) and so, but also the FREE that they used in Dobuita, Yamanose, etc. They chose wisely which music should play for each moment or place, the duration, etc.

Well, while the music of Shenmue 3 are nice and they even re-use many from Shenmue 1 and 2, I can say without a shadow of doubt that it's what I like the less from Shenmue 3. But it's not the music what fails in my opinion but the time they start to sound or the transitions between one and another.

While in Shenmue 1/2 you could feel the tension or the emotion of the moment emphasized by the superb soundtrack, in Shenmue 3 seems like there is something that is missing.

Having said that, I look forward to that moment that they announce the 4 part but they are taking so long that I'm losing hope to see it again. They should say something about this year.

I finished Shenmue 3 just once in 2019 because for me it doesn't have that magic that the previous ones had

If I had to choose one thing I thought S3 did have in common with the previous games, it would certainly be the magic and atmosphere that the originals had.

In my opinion, Shenmue 3 must be judged like it is: An indie game from a Kickstarter with what this entails:
Problems in its development, small budget and small team.
That does not mean that one cannot comment on what he/she like or what not, or that the game is bad.

To me is the best indie game ever created,
But I would never compare it to the other two, with such different developments.

Since the first day I ended S3, I have the impression (I don't know if it would be truth or not), that perhaps Yu-san and the team they voluntarily wanted not to introduce more history, because perhaps the kickstarter in practice was not the best way to make a game like this and they preferred to reserve it for future games with better development.

Kickstarter in theory sounds right, but in practice... It should be another thing.

But, Shenmue 3 revived the saga, and I'm grateful for that, just as I am grateful to all the members of this forum and to all the communities for keeping the dream alive.

We must continue supporting shenmue so that in the future Shenmue 4 and 5 come out as best as possible!

Last edited:
Since the first day I ended S3, I have the impression (I don't know if it would be truth or not), that perhaps Yu-san and the team they voluntarily wanted not to introduce more history, because perhaps the kickstarter in practice was not the best way to make a game like this and they preferred to reserve it for future games with better development.

I was thinking about this while I wrote my post, what about that scenes in which we could see a fight in the great wall? Or the one with that ship in the river at night? They could have saved them for the next installment or it's just discarded material like they did with the first previous two.

I think they did accomplish a great work in term of graphics and getting the atmosphere of the previous ones. I don't mind at all if they re-used the same engine and all the assets they made for this third part. They look really nice.

I'm wondering why they didn't implement the feature in Shenmue 3 to transfer game data (money, capsule toys etc) from S1/2 like in Shenmue 1 to 2 remaster ???

I'm wondering why they didn't implement the feature in Shenmue 3 to transfer game data (money, capsule toys etc) from S1/2 like in Shenmue 1 to 2 remaster ???
Simply put technical issues is the mostly likely reason.

Also the capsules from 1 and 2 were not licensed to be in Shenmue 3 so there's also that issue.

Simply put technical issues is the mostly likely reason.

Also the capsules from 1 and 2 were not licensed to be in Shenmue 3 so there's also that issue.
A way around this could have been to include an (optional) manual converter, where you could enter your Shenmue II inventory, money etc manually when making your save. I don’t think it would have been that hard to make something like that. Just a load of toggles etc and put a UI on top of it.

Yes, it could have been open to abuse by people adding silly amounts of money or whatever, but in my opinion if people want to play the game that way that’s up to them.

It’s also worth remembering that the remasters weren’t announced until several years into development. By that point, retroactively adding a feature that would serve very little purpose (as Spud mentioned, the capsule toys couldn’t carry over and a lot of the moves from 1 and 2 were scrapped, so it would have just been things like start date, notebook completion, and money), would have been a huge waste of Dev time.

Indeed anything, players being able to start the game with more money would have gone against Yu’s vision for Shenmue 3 (he seemingly wanted players to have to grind for money - either as an exercise of patience or to pad out the length of the game), so in his eyes, at least, adding in the ability to transfer over save files would have presumably made the game worse.

Back