Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I was talking about Battle Rally. I know all about her birthday scenario in Shenmue 2. If that's what all this is about. I have no idea lol.

I was talking about Battle Rally. I know all about her birthday scenario in Shenmue 2. If that's what all this is about. I have no idea lol.
Oh sorry, sometimes I assume everyone gets into my head. Explanation: I read the same post and thought same scenario, Fang Mei with frying pan, and looking at the replies there it was posted word by word in your post.
So I was wow, but me muting because sounded weird has made it worst lol
no, no, no, wait! damn...

Last edited:
I see people talk about how Niao left Lan Di for dead and stole the organization from underneath him. but honestly what's stopping Lan Di emerging from the flames and killing Niao Sun if not outright beating her up and taking the mirror by force sometime in the aftermath of 3? Granted I don't think the storyline is going that route but just a thought experiment.

I see people talk about how Niao left Lan Di for dead and stole the organization from underneath him. but honestly what's stopping Lan Di emerging from the flames and killing Niao Sun if not outright beating her up and taking the mirror by force sometime in the aftermath of 3? Granted I don't think the storyline is going that route but just a thought experiment.
I'm in agreement that I think the series needs some more death, but I think it would have to be the death of a super important character for it not to feel out of place, plus it needs to fit the tone of the game, which as of late has gotten campier.

For awkward use of death, please see the inclusion of Chunyan (one of the three underground street fighters Ryo fights) pushing a guy down that hole in the Black Heaven building in S2. Yes, it gives that underground scene gravitas, but in my mind it made her worse than even Lan Di, as at least he was getting revenge for his father, Chunyan just flat out murders a guy on a whim and is gone in a split second, and no one else in the entire series does anything even remotely as bad (that we see). It even took the anime to make Dou Niu more heinous than just the suggestively evil/always angry gorilla that the game makes him out to be.

The way it's been going, the worst thing that's going to happen in S4 is that someone is going to be kidnapped. Nozomi, Xiaomei Ding, Joy, Wong, Ryo and Ren, Zhang, Yuanda Zhu, Shenhua's dad, Shenhua - they probably even kidnapped Fuku-san, but he just didn't realize it. The tamest mafia group should just legitimize and open a hotel chain. :LOL:

Last edited:
The new 'Dynamic Mode' in Street Fighter 6 looks like it may have taken some inspiration from the Shenmue 3 fighting system. It's designed for players with little experience w fighters and uses AI elements to string together moves with simple button presses.

Screenshot_20221110-155022~2.png

Yu Suzuki: "Weโ€™re using some A.I. elements so even if youโ€™re just randomly pushing buttons something meaningful will happen.โ€

Just another interesting comparison after Nakayama credited Shenmue for inspiring aspects of the World Tour mode.

I'm in agreement that I think the series needs some more death, but I think it would have to be the death of a super important character for it not to feel out of place, plus it needs to fit the tone of the game, which as of late has gotten campier.

For awkward use of death, please see the inclusion of Chunyan (one of the three underground street fighters Ryo fights) pushing a guy down that hole in the Black Heaven building in S2. Yes, it gives that underground scene gravitas, but in my mind it made her worse than even Lan Di, as at least he was getting revenge for his father, Chunyan just flat out murders a guy on a whim and is gone in a split second, and no one else in the entire series does anything even remotely as bad (that we see). It even took the anime to make Dou Niu more heinous than just the suggestively evil/always angry gorilla that the game makes him out to be.

The way it's been going, the worst thing that's going to happen in S4 is that someone is going to be kidnapped. Nozomi, Xiaomei Ding, Joy, Wong, Ryo and Ren, Zhang, Yuanda Zhu, Shenhua's dad, Shenhua - they probably even kidnapped Fuku-san, but he just didn't realize it. The tamest mafia group should just legitimize and open a hotel chain. :LOL:
How do you think Fuku-san ended up at the Hazuki dojo in the first place? Hazuki-sensei even dressed him in clothes bearing the family name for his own sick amusement. And after Hazuki-senseiโ€™s death, the Hazuki heir continued beating him up and taking all his money in the name of family tradition. His Virtua Fighter posters are his only escape.

I remember when Shenmue 3 was in the early stages of production, one of the guards in Bailu village replaced Chai during the scene where he creeped up on Ryo with the bat.

I remember when Shenmue 3 was in the early stages of production, one of the guards in Bailu village replaced Chai during the scene where he creeped up on Ryo with the bat.

Yeah the Magic Monaco early trailer is kind of fascinating. As you said you can see Datong Liu as either placeholder or model at that time of the thugs in Hermit Nest QTE and another as Chai stand-in.

In addition, you have the older model of Master Bei and it's hard to tell but different QTE UI? I would love to know more about games development and changes.

I just got a email from Gamesplanet about the start of their holiday sales, and randomly saw Shenhua included as the first character in their banner. If you're wondering the heck a Gamesplanet is, it's a Steam key selling business that partners directly with the publisher's themselves to get cheap keys.

Not huge news I suppose, but I thought it was kinda funny. They're selling Shenmue 3 for $3.33 if you were wondering. None of the other games have a cutesy price like that.

1669131337415.png

Shenmue III is the Comic Sans of the series.
Well yeah, the title screen uses Comic Sans
Edit: Nevermind, I though it did for some reason lol

Shenmue III is the Comic Sans of the series.
No. Shenmue III has good aspects and also some bad aspects, some of which are down to limits in resources and time that were unfortunately insurmountable. Even what I consider to have been poor decisions regarding the game were made with good intentions.

By contrast, Comic Sans is irredeemably awful in every way and has remained so for decades by design.

No. Shenmue III has good aspects and also some bad aspects, some of which are down to limits in resources and time that were unfortunately insurmountable. Even what I consider to have been poor decisions regarding the game were made with good intentions.

By contrast, Comic Sans is irredeemably awful in every way and has remained so for decades by design.
Comic Sans MS (the ACTUAL name) is an awesome font; looks cool and is pleasing to the eyes, but it only should be used in proper applications.

People hating on it is just, "the cool thing to do," like RGG memes, people hating on Limp Bizkit and baking bread at the onset of the pandemic.

Fred does NOT have a voice even remotely-close to being reminiscent of Yogi Bear.

God forbid someone swipes Fred's picnic basket, because word on the grapevine is that he's liable to break stuff and give someone a fat lip :sneaky:

Back