Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

It’s definitely a little strange. A Kickstarter for Shenmue 4 probably wouldn’t come close to earning enough money, but a Shenmue the Animation Season 2 Kickstarter could absolutely make two mil. In that respect, it really does seem like the obvious solution if Yu really does want to finish off the story before he retires.

Part of me wonders whether 110 Industries might end up funding a second season of the anime rather than a new game. They’ve already dipped their toes into the anime waters while creating promotional material for Wanted: Dead and have expressed an interest in branching out into other mediums in the past. More importantly, perhaps, and as you rightly point out, Shenmue the Animation seems like a much safer bet (assuming, that is, that they’re able to negotiate a share of the merchandising rights).

Hopefully either Cedric, 110, or YSnet themselves are working behind the scenes to sort this mess out that the WB merger created because if the Shenmue Anime performed better than the Blade Runner IP then leaving it to flounder is a massive, massive mistake.

Lets say the budget for Shenmue III when all is said and done was around 20 million then creating a second anime season with 10% of that budget that appealed to both game and anime fans seems like such a risk free proposition I still can't get my head around it.

Naturally I would like another game, I really would but I also want to see the series finished before I keel over at the same time :D

I honestly don't mind if they finish story in. Anime, but still make games, please. Much more of a Shenmue mechanics fan than the story.

Love the story, for sure; im invested in hearing about Zhao and Iwao and Yuanda Zu. Mirrors are cool coupled with Shenhua's mystics/prophecy, but not my biggest concern--especially after hearing they were bit of an afterthought (personal interpretation) during the Krabbe Yokosuka tour video PRS recently subtitled.

Cedric has manga experience, so maybe anime not too far a streth, espeically if partnered with 110 as suggested earlier?

Everything just keeps proving that canceling the anime was a huge mistake. It's unbelievable.

It breaks my heart that so many people have now been introduced to Shenmue, only to end up sharing the same pain fans have experienced over the years. We've always wanted to bring Shenmue to a wider audience, but not this part... :hmm:

I really hope we get some kind of good news this year. Even if it's just the blu-ray. Anything! I think we deserve it. 🤞

What if the manga gets cancelled too😨
No one gonna invest in the cursed series never again. But I guess this is a matter of jump of faith.
Honestly since the nomination back stab, I moved from totally opposing towards this or a novelization, to an open position. Of course, under YS own terms and times. No rushes, no petition campaigns for me. Even if he take +10 years to decide.
Very interesting article, red.

Reactions: red
Reactions: red
Sooner than you think, my friends. You're gonna laugh about this uneasy period.
Not in a release form though, but an advance teaser that will give us enough to be sated.

So... at this point is there still any hope for a blu-ray release or streaming/download of the dubbed version?

I didn't want to give up hope, but at this point I'm starting to think the chances are very slim... 😑

I still have this version I downloaded and re-synced last May and, as far as I know, there's still nothing better around.

Should I share it with interested dojo members? Or is it irresponsible?

I'm starting to feel selfish for keeping it to myself, when so many people haven't even had a chance to watch the dubbed version yet (which is my favorite version).

So... at this point is there still any hope for a blu-ray release or streaming/download of the dubbed version?

I didn't want to give up hope, but at this point I'm starting to think the chances are very slim... 😑

I still have this version I downloaded and re-synced last May and, as far as I know, there's still nothing better around.

Should I share it with interested dojo members? Or is it irresponsible?

I'm starting to feel selfish for keeping it to myself, when so many people haven't even had a chance to watch the dubbed version yet (which is my favorite version).

It looks like classic Sega form as in they seem to have completely forgot it ever existed.

I cannot get excited about the anime. I didn't like the visual style or the changes. It feels low quality to me. Not looking for a fight, just stating that not all Shenmue fans may have enjoyed it.

I cannot get excited about the anime. I didn't like the visual style or the changes. It feels low quality to me. Not looking for a fight, just stating that not all Shenmue fans may have enjoyed it.
Yeah i see what you mean and i just wanted the anime to tie the story up as the games wont.

Yeah i see what you mean and i just wanted the anime to tie the story up as the games wont.
Exactly, same here. I give the proper credit to the required skills for making an almost or totally frame-by-frame adaptation to other media (Watchmen, 300, Psycho...) But I cannot avoid feeling bored along the watching if there's no changes with source material. I like to be surprised with respectful twists.
We touched the subject here a couple of times talking about RE1 remake, Twin Snakes or even Shattered Memories. There's a nice rewarding feeling for many of us at finding a familiar story with re-arranged elements. Its like Sam Raimi remaking himself with Evil Dead 2

To be honest they can just tie it up with a graphic novel but all i want is an ending. I thought the anime was supposed to do this and i cant bring myself to play S3 (really left a foul taste in my mouth). Why didnt the anime get a second series btw?

To be honest they can just tie it up with a graphic novel but all i want is an ending.
I want ending too but not at any cost.
I thought the anime was supposed to do this and i cant bring myself to play S3 (really left a foul taste in my mouth). Why didnt the anime get a second series btw?
Apparently the series weren't renewed for a second season due a company merge. But there might be more than meet the eye.
It did well btw as you may already know, no groundbreaking but still getting nice reviews and everything.

Back