Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

Does anybody know what the budget was for the anime? @spud1897 does Demarco know? I believe it's been stated that anime budgets are alot less than video game budgets. If its cheap enough lets petition Sega to fund it. They won't give us a game maybe they'll give us the anime.

Does anybody know what the budget was for the anime? @spud1897 does Demarco know? I believe it's been stated that anime budgets are alot less than video game budgets. If its cheap enough lets petition Sega to fund it. They won't give us a game maybe they'll give us the anime.
He does but I expect he's not allowed to share it.

Pretty sure it's not a funding issue, I mean wasn't the parent company doing the anime already owned by sega? It's more of a contract and licensing thing, where the company just said fuck you, no more shenmue.

It really really sucks but...I never ever considered getting an Shenmue anime, let alone of this quality. I'll get so much joy (pun intended) out of this that I can kind of live with it.

Shenmue IV needs to happen though.

You think if season 2 of the anime didn't get cancelled and started covering new story material not yet introduced in the games it would take the wind out of Yu Suzuki's sails and make him less motivated to push hard for more Shenmue games?

You think if season 2 of the anime didn't get cancelled and started covering new story material not yet introduced in the games it would take the wind out of Yu Suzuki's sails and make him less motivated to push hard for more Shenmue games?
A valid point and one I'm not sure of the answer.

We do know Ryo's journey is planned out so I expect there would be excitement in simply getting that done and seeing how the side stuff is filled out.

A good opportunity to ask for the possibility of a Shenmue blu-ray!

(I don't have a TV licence, so can't watch live things, even if it's YouTube!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121-231345_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-231345_Instagram.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 12
Beating Demon Slayer is pretty impressive. Let’s hope somebody with the power to commission a second season is paying attention!
I should add the caveat that there was no tie breaker so I've listed it the way above.

In pure listing order Shenmue would be 5th (Demon Slayer would be 7th) which is still impressive all the same.

I should add the caveat that there was no tie breaker so I've listed it the way above.

In pure listing order Shenmue would be 5th (Demon Slayer would be 7th) which is still impressive all the same.
For sure. It’s up against some of the biggest and most well established anime of the era, so to even come close after just a solitary season is an incredibly impressive achievement.

For sure. It’s up against some of the biggest and most well established anime of the era, so to even come close after just a solitary season is an incredibly impressive achievement.
As you say, hopefully someone is watching and listening to all of this.

Great to see the community come together on this though!

I voted this morning so just in the nick of time it seems ! Happy with the result :)

What I can't fathom is that if the average series of anime costs around 2 million then surely that's an absolute no brainer?

If i was in YSNet accounting, I would make sure it was funded ! Could easily make that cost back by selling merchandise / tv rights alone? Makes me wonder if Crunchyroll have first refusal because this seems like such an easily achieveable open goal there must surely be some behind the scenes nonsense stopping them?

At this point I feel that Shenmue IV is on very thin ice but the Animation was a sure fire winner across all metrics so i wonder just WHAT is the problem?

I voted this morning so just in the nick of time it seems ! Happy with the result :)

What I can't fathom is that if the average series of anime costs around 2 million then surely that's an absolute no brainer?

If i was in YSNet accounting, I would make sure it was funded ! Could easily make that cost back by selling merchandise / tv rights alone? Makes me wonder if Crunchyroll have first refusal because this seems like such an easily achieveable open goal there must surely be some behind the scenes nonsense stopping them?

At this point I feel that Shenmue IV is on very thin ice but the Animation was a sure fire winner across all metrics so i wonder just WHAT is the problem?
It’s definitely a little strange. A Kickstarter for Shenmue 4 probably wouldn’t come close to earning enough money, but a Shenmue the Animation Season 2 Kickstarter could absolutely make two mil. In that respect, it really does seem like the obvious solution if Yu really does want to finish off the story before he retires.

Part of me wonders whether 110 Industries might end up funding a second season of the anime rather than a new game. They’ve already dipped their toes into the anime waters while creating promotional material for Wanted: Dead and have expressed an interest in branching out into other mediums in the past. More importantly, perhaps, and as you rightly point out, Shenmue the Animation seems like a much safer bet (assuming, that is, that they’re able to negotiate a share of the merchandising rights).

Back