Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

Depending on when the series airs that could be a great season finale announcement. I would think late 2021/early 2022 is a realistic debut for the anime. Probably depends on how high quality it is.

The Uzumaki anime adaptation which is produced by Adult Swim(Jason DeMarco serves as the creative director for both Uzumaki and Shenmue) was announced in August 2019 and debuts sometime this year. Uzumaki had been scheduled for a 2020 release but was recently delayed to 2021.

So if I had to put money on it I would bet Shenmue will release in 2022.

Then again some adaptations like Pluto have been in development for years.

To increase the hype for Shenmue 4 they should announce Shenmue 4 development at the end of last episode of the Shenmue anime. Especially if this anime turns out to be popular this could put the Shenmue brand in a different spotlight.🌞
Thats a great idea; completely agree with you on this one.

I hope having the same joy I had when I discovered Sonic X on national TV. The anime had some flaws but the technique blew me away and seeing a straight adaptation of a Dreamcast game was something I could't believe possible.
Shenmue the animation is another level of the impossible things I believed not possible.

When the anime releases, we just need to find a VHS filter:

Last edited:
I hope having the same joy I had when I discovered Sonic X on national TV. The anime had some flaws but the technique blew me away and seeing a straight adaptation of a Dreamcast game was something I could't believe possible.
Shenmue the animation is another level of the impossible things I believed not possible.

When the anime releases, we just need to find a VHS filter:
If the Shenmue Anime ends up having the same quality as "Ninja Scroll" I will be more than happy. By the way this is an amazing video; got to check it out with more attention because there are mangas that I haven't seen yet.

While I love the ambience and mundanity of Shenmue and I hope the anime can capture this, I would love to see the anime presented in more of a action packed presentation. Im very interested to see what content was cut from the game. Maybe we might find out more info on Mark's brother or there might be some content that involves Nagai Industries(I hope so🙏🤞).

In my opinion this is the perfect opportunity for Yu-san to do his original vision of the story, and i think he will do that, it is confirmed that we will see things that was cut in the games, right? i think we will see the boat chapter and maybe the train chapter, maybe we will even see some scenes days before Iwao's death. Ryo hanging out with his friends, more closer to Nozomi, this Ryo is a little more happy. In my opinion will be really interesting to watch this scenes in the first episode.

I think we will have some scenes after Iwao's death, scenes that are not in the game, people going to Iwao's funeral, maybe we will even see Ryo crying, imagine Ryo alone, he is sad and angry, he is in the rain, and in one part he says "Lan di, i will find you and kill you, i will avenge my father" something like that and with a sad song, i think it could be really interesting, maybe the first episode will end like this.

It looks like the anime will have a more mature tone, i think it will have a mature tone but we will see too funny and cute scenes, maybe in the anime we will even see Ryo and Nozomi kissing, who knows? haha. Maybe in the anime we will see more about Mark's brother. Maybe the plot in Yokosuka will expand, maybe the story of the first game will be 5 or 6 episodes.

So many possibilities. All i know is that i'm really excited for the anime.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of if Shenmue IV had anime cutscenes like Persona 5 instead of in game ones !?
Also does anyone know if it would be cheaper to create the Anime cutscenes !?

What do you guys think of if Shenmue IV had anime cutscenes like Persona 5 instead of in game ones !?
Also does anyone know if it would be cheaper to create the Anime cutscenes !?

As someone who’s in love with anime, I would personally not like this. Shenmue’s cutscenes should stay the way they are (with added improvements of course)

To those who have never watched anime before the Shenmue anime might get you hooked on anime. Being a kid at the time the mature content is what made me interested.

The only anime I've seen was Death Note. Thoroughly enjoyed the first half of it before it became a bit too drawn-out, but man this bitch was annoying...

1599562792323.png

To get a general feel of "Martial Arts" anime here are some I'd recc you can binge/stream in the mean-time if you kinda wanna get a feel about what some of mature "anime martial arts" themes/style you'll find in anime. Ranges between flashy extreme to tamed and/or philosophical.

1.) Afro Samurai:

2.) Moribito:

3.) Samurai Champloo:

4.) Shigurui:

5.) Basilisk(Personally, a fav):

I believe that because of covid-19 that we'll see a trailer for late next year for a 2022 release. Also hopefully by that time or not long afterwards we'll get a Shenmue IV announcement to go along with it to celebrate.

I'm fascinated to see what this anime will look like in motion, what day in the game that the anime chooses to end on. What scenes will have what kind of weather (example and my favorite is the Ryo & Nozomi picture with the snow in the background.) What characters get more fleshed out or more airtime. What parts they choose to omit, what scenes they add not in the game or expand upon. Truly a intriguing fascinating times to be a Shenmue fan. We got III last year and now a Shenmue anime on the horizon. The anime I never saw coming in a million years. I'll gladly take it and I'm stoked for it's eventual release.

Adult Swim made some deal with Crunchyroll to get the Shenmue anime made, and now Crunchyroll appears to be making some deal with Xbox. COINCIDENCE?? yeah probably, but the CR guy said to stay tuned for thursday

most likely just for anime game adaptations

Back