Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I can understand that, but I think the anime, like many other industries involves multiple different factors. Some things might be on schedule, but others may not. I think of it like making a house; you've got everything you need, but the one thing keeping the house together. Without it, it all falls down.

I agree on the no crunch thing. I want the anime yesterday as much as anyone, but it would leave a bitter taste if I knew that people were cracking the whip to get it done.

Was the anime announced too early? Hard to say; at the time we were overjoyed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. On the other hand, wasn't there leaks at the time suggesting that the anime was in production anyway?

The real kicker is we live in an age of leaks. I'm of two minds about this. I want to know everything, but on the other hand, having the surprise ruined for me is no fun at all and is tountamount to a form of pathetic dick waving.

Trolling Namedroppers for any news I can find. This just popped up today (registered 9-13):

Possibly the official site? It's in Japanese at least for once, not just some random domain registered in China. These are also registered, but have been for a while and don't seem as legit based on the generic landing pages:

shenmuetheanimation.com
shenmuetheanime.com

--
* ALL URLS COULD BE NONSENSE AND DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING, POSTING FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY BUT IF YOU HAVE NO LIFE, LIKE ME, IT"S FUN TO CHECK INTO THESE THINGS SOMETIMES*

Last edited:
Just a thought - I think it would be cool if the anime opened with a shot for shot recreation of the opening cinematic of Shenmue, leading into the opening credits. No doubt they will make their own directoral choices with the story but come on...that opening scene is just stunning, iconic and beautifully cinematic. On the other hand, I'd be interested in seeing a new take on it as well but I think taking the approach of opening the series in some continuity with the classic cinematic could be amazing and give the fans some warm fuzzies too.

Just a thought - I think it would be cool if the anime opened with a shot for shot recreation of the opening cinematic of Shenmue, leading into the opening credits. No doubt they will make their own directoral choices with the story but come on...that opening scene is just stunning, iconic and beautifully cinematic.
I hadn't really thought about it, but now you mention that, it sounds perfect! I really hope they do it.

Just a thought - I think it would be cool if the anime opened with a shot for shot recreation of the opening cinematic of Shenmue, leading into the opening credits. No doubt they will make their own directoral choices with the story but come on...that opening scene is just stunning, iconic and beautifully cinematic. On the other hand, I'd be interested in seeing a new take on it as well but I think taking the approach of opening the series in some continuity with the classic cinematic could be amazing and give the fans some warm fuzzies too.

If the first scene of the anime is a recreation of the opening scene of the game will be really good, the opening scene in the game is really iconic and beautiful, i will enjoy but at the same time i feel that they can create new moments for the series, the anime is a nice opportunity to do this, a nice opportunity to add even more things to the Shenmue story.

I think it will be interesting if the anime starts before that, if the opening scene show Ryo a little more happy having moments with his friends, with Iwao, with Ine-san, with Fuku-san.

1632372611299.png

After that it can be the scene we all know from the game, the opening scene of the game, after that we can even have new scenes, new moments that will show only in the anime, the characters going to Iwao's funeral, Ryo sad about what happened, other characters with more scenes in the anime and much more.

So many possibilities to add even more to the Shenmue Story, i'm really excited for the anime.

The anime could start at the martial arts tournament where Ryo gets injured and the legendary plaster gets applied 😀 then he returns home to find the dojo trashed and the opening of the game ensues
This is almost exactly how I want it to be done. I think they should start the anime on the morning of the incident right when Ryo wakes up. That way, it can establish the relationship between Ryo and his father as well as emphasise that (in this point in time) Ryo's just a normal kid living a normal life.

The anime could start at the martial arts tournament where Ryo gets injured and the legendary plaster gets applied 😀 then he returns home to find the dojo trashed and the opening of the game ensues
This this this!!!!!!! Though I would like to add on that after the tournament we see how Ryo’s life is like before his fathers death and what his relationship with his father is like then after that we get the big lan di reveal and the death of Iwao which then ends episode 1!

That would be great. An early draft of Shenmue (VFRPG) was originally supposed to begin with Iwao imparting a life lesson to Ryo at the Hazuki dojo (https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/the-legend-of-akira-scripts-two-pages.html). So perhaps they could even repurpose this cut material after Ryo gets injured at the tournament. It would make Iwao's death a bit more impactful once we see some of their relationship beforehand.

Then maybe after showing how Ryo's life used to be (school, friends, tournament, etc) the first episode could end with Iwao's death and Ryo swearing vengeance.

Oh, i completely forgot about the martial arts tournament, i hope we can see this part in the anime but i agree with Jibby, i think the anime should start in the morning of the incident or the day before, then we can see moments of Ryo's life in school, with his friends, with his father, with Ine-san and Fuku-san, the tournament part and much more, the ending of the first episode could be Ryo saying he will avenge his father, i think is a nice way to end the first episode.

Yu Suzuki is the executive producer of the anime, Yu Suzuki can try to put things in the anime that he had to cut out of the games, he can even try to put the boat part in the anime, things of the VF RPG days, they can even put a scene showing how Ryo got his jacket, this things and much more, so many possibilities to add more things in the Shenmue Story

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but putting it out there.

It's unlikely we can show actual footage of the event as it's behind a paywall and I don't fancy falling foul of various copyright law.

However James and I were going to watch live and stream our commentary so if you've got a ticket it could be a cool discussion as things unfold.

Would that be of interest?

I'd definitely watch that; you guys are legit and know what the rest of us would key on/pay attention to/want, so it would be like you're our vessel for the show.

Down.

I am starting to believe Embracer when they stated that Shenmue III sold "Fine for a niche product." After all, an anime is usually made for two reasons:

I). It is a vehicle for the artist to realize their artistic vision.

II). It is to promote a product or service.

Most of the time, it is the latter reason more than the former. Then there is the fact that product lines are often produced during the initial development of said anime. This is why I would not be surprised if we see various forms of merchandise released either alongside the release or after. So I strongly suggest people here watch the anime legally on a streaming service and buy all the merchandise along with it.

That is our best shot at getting Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Back