Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

You've got to be kidding me. Can we assume this is literally all SEGA's fault? Didn't he say that all merchandise was at their discretion? Unless the Crunchyroll numbers were outright horrendous and rained on the success of the Adult Swim numbers that much, it just doesn't make any sense. SEGA is one of the most ridiculous video game companies...

Honestly man Sega treats Shenmue like that kid that disappointed them and brought shame to the family. Everytime Shenmue does something good the industry is still unwilling to acknowledge it. Not gonna accept Shenmue as a failure this franchise and fan base has done and accomplished to much. Good on everyone for all the efforts we've done and continue to do. We were given life again and we pulled out all the stops. The industry just doesn't want us.

Honestly man Sega treats Shenmue like that kid that disappointed them and brought shame to the family. Everytime Shenmue does something good the industry is still unwilling to acknowledge it. Not gonna accept Shenmue as a failure this franchise and fan base has done and accomplished to much. Good on everyone for all the efforts we've done and continue to do. We were given life again and we pulled out all the stops. The industry just doesn't want us.
Which is why we keep.pushing.

Fuck what the industry thinks haha.

Paramount have done the same thing with Star Trek Prodigy. Not just cancel it but remove it from streaming as a tax write-off. They're not even going to air the completed second season.

Absolutely fucking criminal.

Frankly, I believe rampant bootlegging is fair game with this now. It's not an option I usually support, but to delete something that so many people have worked so hard on due to the incompetence of others is galling.

A pox on these people.

I still haven't found a blu-ray authoring software that lets me customize things the way I want, or I would have already made a bootleg blu-ray (even if only for myself). Sadly, all the ones I tested only allowed me to use cheesy templates that look like they were made in 2001. 😫

I already have the series in both japanese and english, and all the images I need to create a cool menu, I just lack the right tools to do it (yet). But at the same time, even if I manage to create the blu-ray, I don't know how the community could make use of it. I could, for example, share an ISO file, but I know that not many people have a blu-ray recorder, or even software on the computer to play it. So it's not a very practical thing to do, a DVD would be much simpler, but I think it's a crime to compress this series to DVD quality...

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I really want to help preserve this great series for current and future Shenmue fans. Even if the capitalists don't want to make more, this one they can't take away from us!

I still haven't found a blu-ray authoring software that lets me customize things the way I want, or I would have already made a bootleg blu-ray (even if only for myself). Sadly, all the ones I tested only allowed me to use cheesy templates that look like they were made in 2001. 😫

I already have the series in both japanese and english, and all the images I need to create a cool menu, I just lack the right tools to do it (yet). But at the same time, even if I manage to create the blu-ray, I don't know how the community could make use of it. I could, for example, share an ISO file, but I know that not many people have a blu-ray recorder, or even software on the computer to play it. So it's not a very practical thing to do, a DVD would be much simpler, but I think it's a crime to compress this series to DVD quality...

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I really want to help preserve this great series for current and future Shenmue fans. Even if the capitalists don't want to make more, this one they can't take away from us!

Question, what is the native resolution of the show? I watched it on Crunchyroll platform but I assume it doesn’t display in 4K thus it’s not really blu-ray quality is it?

Question, what is the native resolution of the show? I watched it on Crunchyroll platform but I assume it doesn’t display in 4K thus it’s not really blu-ray quality is it?

The show is 1080p, which is the default resolution of any "regular" Blu-ray. Only "Ultra HD Blu-ray" supports 4K resolution (2160p), and it's a different disc format that only the most recent players can read (current gen consoles, for example).

Looking at the thickness of the lines, I believe that the series was made with 1080p resolution in mind. If hypothetically a 4K version was released, I think it would have to be via upscaling, and it would never look very good due to the lack of detail of the characters in the background.

@spud1897 @BruceWayne911 Wishful thinking here but i think the anime got cancelled in favor of finishing the story in video game form like a shenmue 4 or 5 what do you think?
Unfortunately not. It was confirmed it got axed due to the WBD merger in 2022.

That came from the executive producer Jason Demarco himself.

Back