spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Here's a question. I'm running both Shenmue games on my laptop. Shenmue 2 runs fine, no slowdown or anything.

With Shenmue 1 the laptop struggles (as I thought it would) with Dobuita. Lots of slow down. Anyone hazard a guess as to why?

Is it because the assets in 1 are more detailed so that its asking more of the laptop and thus making performance become inconsistent?

It's an integrated graphics laptop and rather old so I wouldn't be shocked if I couldn't sort it until my new PC comes.

This was the case without mods and with the 16:9 fix and audio restoration.

Specs here:261026112612

IIRC, AMD systems have had issues with the re-releases. Try migrating the install to an SSD to compensate for the asset loading issue in Dobuita. Dobuita has this issue because it is split up into portions which comprise the full map.

Ah ok makes sense. Only issue is I've not got an SSD. Cheers for the advice. If I can get hold of one I'll give it a go.

I get pretty poor frame pacing in Dobuita in Shenmue I on a pretty decent laptop (i7-6700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM). I still haven't played II to compare, hopefully it's smoother.

Yeah, I believe SII is a little bit more optimized. You could use something like MSI Afterburner. It allows you to display an OSD with your CPU, GPU and RAM usage, so you can watch what is being maxed out when you have frame drops.

I don't know if this will be a very good solution, but this is the best that I have right now, unfortunately, NPCs can be bugged by using the 'Stabilize' option in Shenmue I, but in Shenmue II, only the cutscenes are affected.

The MiscTools DLL that I posted here will allow you to run Shenmue I & II at 60fps - or unlocked at ~200fps.

The stabilize option is a new one, so there's a new download for this one, which I've attached to this post. It essentially ensures all of the timings are correct for things like Ryo's running animation etc and doesn't appear to run at 200x. This, for me at least on my hardware allows me to run through Dobuita pretty much unaffected from any weird framepacing. There are a few hitches, but other than that it's pretty solid, especially if you don't mind turning it off before you know a cutscene will start.

There is also another downside, you need to disable your patches before you enter a loading screen as there's the potential that the game will get stuck in the loading screen as these patches stop the game from setting the unlocked framerates, which is used during loading sequences to free up other threads.

To use it just follow the original guide, here.

Attachments

• Shenmue_MiscTools_v2.01.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back