Question about China's demography

Seaman

ネットやろうぜ
I've been reading info about China's flora and fauna lately. That led me to look for small rural and coast villages for sea fauna and when looked to demographics I couldn't believe my eyes. I couldn't find any place under a population of 100k. My hometown was a very small fishing town with 5k in 80s, doubled in 90s and doubled again in the 2000s to the actual +20k. So I was looking something like that or even smaller surviving location with just a few or 100 pop. at max as we still have here in Canary Islands. I know there are users here with lot of knowledge about China and I will be grateful if I can get some places names. I want to use it for drawing some landscapes, thank you.

Sorry for bumping my own thread, just this once and no more. But its coming hard this research, as I'm combining Baidu maps and few databases.

There're few issues like my absence of chinese language knowledge, many databases requiring registering and I prefer not to and I also lack the trained eye to tell the difference between a true small village and a made for tourists one.

For now I decided to limit the area in search of very small villages with low density of population in the Shandong province. It seems predominantly rural, with a hilly landscape and a coast which is a great addition to inspiration for drawing. But small fisherman communities seems to be gone and replaced by low to medium industrial areas (?) I don't know...

Please, if some can lend a hand with this it will very helpul to blank page syndrome.

About 10 years ago, I once went on a raft ride near Yangshuo, Guangxi and ended up in some small village of maybe a few hundred people, but I can't remember its name.

Appearently it was pretty rare for tourists to go there and so a group of 3 elderly men Walker up to me when I was sitting in their village diner place, writing post cards. They asked me why I had come to the village and why I was writing post cards, so I explained to them that I'd go to the village post office and post them to my family and friends back home later. It was hillarious.

About 10 years ago, I once went on a raft ride near Yangshuo, Guangxi and ended up in some small village of maybe a few hundred people, but I can't remember its name.

Appearently it was pretty rare for tourists to go there and so a group of 3 elderly men Walker up to me when I was sitting in their village diner place, writing post cards. They asked me why I had come to the village and why I was writing post cards, so I explained to them that I'd go to the village post office and post them to my family and friends back home later. It was hillarious.
They thought you were some spy! Omg... Sure is hillarious now but probably you also thought that further misunderstood, wrong gesture... Could've lead to ugly situation. Glad it ended well.
Very offtopic now, but you reminded me a song from Coldplay when they were cool, Postcards from Faraway.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me and I will try to locate that small village later. I hope to find it and draw it, with my brand new bag of crayons, in SNKesque background style.

I think it was on Yulong river or a side arm of it. A motorcycle taxi guy took me to the raft per there in the early morning and when I got off the raft, I hiked through the mountains there and ended up in that village which also had some kind of dock.

I never thought about that situation as menacing. It seemed to me like they were a bunch of grandpas, just baffled to see a "Laowai", (white) foreigner in their village. Would they/could they have reported me if I had said or done something wrong? Never thought about it, they seemed so innocent.

If I find the name of that village in my photo album or something, I'll let you know. It's not coastal though, it was inland.

Back