Project berkely akira in his traditional virtual fighter outfit

They might have done so much better placing him in that uniform on the same streets with that heavy lean toward free battles I'm playing now in judgement. You can still have conversations, exploration, detective work. Of course even Judgment will never show you things in his palm, or change the weather. Or show you him eating or drinking that stuff he buys. Tiny things, but they greatly added to immersion. It's a huge step back as I thought when Yakuza one came out and I played it. Well now with Judgment I still think it's more that style S3 should have gone. You've this kid good at martial arts, it makes sense to showcase it often in a video game. Just my opinion. Suzuki said if he does do RPG it'll be like none before. I think he went way overboard on what that might mean in a video game. Waiting a day, but having little to do during that day that's tied to the game. Training, but alone, and for way too long till your thumbs hurt. And for what in the end? Too few free battles. He sort of fixed it in S3, but I think it's a shame 1 and 2 weren't heavy into it. It would have made them way more popular. Just some thoughts.

They might have done so much better placing him in that uniform on the same streets with that heavy lean toward free battles I'm playing now in judgement. You can still have conversations, exploration, detective work. Of course even Judgment will never show you things in his palm, or change the weather. Or show you him eating or drinking that stuff he buys. Tiny things, but they greatly added to immersion. It's a huge step back as I thought when Yakuza one came out and I played it. Well now with Judgment I still think it's more that style S3 should have gone. You've this kid good at martial arts, it makes sense to showcase it often in a video game. Just my opinion. Suzuki said if he does do RPG it'll be like none before. I think he went way overboard on what that might mean in a video game. Waiting a day, but having little to do during that day that's tied to the game. Training, but alone, and for way too long till your thumbs hurt. And for what in the end? Too few free battles. He sort of fixed it in S3, but I think it's a shame 1 and 2 weren't heavy into it. It would have made them way more popular. Just some thoughts.
Pardon?

Akira was always intended to start Shenm-erm, Akira's Story in a non-gi. The fact he's wearing one in that trailer suggests either A. This part of the story (Kowloon?) was when he would don it, or B. The animators just felt like using that model instead of the white shirt one for whatever reason.

I can't help but wonder how it would've been introduced, story-wise. Maybe Ryo will end up having a version of the outfit by the end of Shenmue?

Something not talked about a lot, What's Shenmue has an unused animation for Ryo that happens to be Akira's classic win pose...what is up with that? Surely, there wouldn't be win poses for the victor after every single fight? But then again, perhaps so. Was he gonna pose whenever he beat up a bunch of dudes at the same time, or literally every fight? Or any time something good happened in-game? (I.E. Not getting that stupid super ball from the Capsule Machines?) Seems pretty Chunni to me, ngl. Maybe Ryo/Akira's original personality was a little different from what we finally got. (But only a little. I suspect that all Suzuki did when it stopped being VF was to go through the script and replace all mentions of "Akira" with "Ryo", and little else.)

Last edited:
Akira was always intended to start Shenm-erm, Akira's Story in a non-gi. The fact he's wearing one in that trailer suggests either A. This part of the story (Kowloon?) was when he would don it, or B. The animators just felt like using that model instead of the white shirt one for whatever reason.

I can't help but wonder how it would've been introduced, story-wise. Maybe Ryo will end up having a version of the outfit by the end of Shenmue?

Something not talked about a lot, What's Shenmue has an unused animation for Ryo that happens to be Akira's classic win pose...what is up with that? Surely, there wouldn't be win poses for the victor after every single fight? But then again, perhaps so. Was he gonna pose whenever he beat up a bunch of dudes at the same time, or literally every fight? Or any time something good happened in-game? (I.E. Not getting that stupid super ball from the Capsule Machines?) Seems pretty Chunni to me, ngl. Maybe Ryo/Akira's original personality was a little different from what we finally got. (But only a little. I suspect that all Suzuki did when it stopped being VF was to go through the script and replace all mentions of "Akira" with "Ryo", and little else.)
Interesting I never saw this before. Most animations for Ryo in particular are very slow and meticulous so it’s even more jarring to see that animation pose.

There is a chapter card that was shown that showed a akira wearing his virtual fighter 2 outfit and carrying a dead ren who doesn't have a bandanna.... My guess is the white bandanna ren wears was originally how akira obtained his signature white bandanna. the last chapter card shown was of akira wearing his white bandanna.

Slight tangent: Ugh...killing off Ren for shock value would be such an awful idea IMO (especially given Iwao's "Keep friends close to you" in the first game).

I hope if that is indeed him in that concept art that Yu-san has since rewritten things.

Slight tangent: Ugh...killing off Ren for shock value would be such an awful idea IMO (especially given Iwao's "Keep friends close to you" in the first game).

I hope if that is indeed him in that concept art that Yu-san has since rewritten things.

I don't think is an awful idea, some people learn the lesson only in the hard way and maybe this is how Ryo will learn the lessons.

In my opinion there are 2 lessons Ryo will learn, i don't know how he will fully learn this lessons but him learning this lessons is important in my opinion.

1. Keep friends, those you love, close to you. - Iwao

2. Martial Arts are used to protect people's lifes, if you use your fists otherwise you will walk on the path of evil, too... -Xiuying

When i first saw that concept art i thought it was Lan Di, i saw green in the outfit of that character, some people even said that it is Ren or younger Ryo, Younger Ryo (Akira) to show that he changed and learned a lot.

It will be very sad if Ren dies, I love Ren but I don't think it will ruin Shenmue's story if it happens, I think it will have a big meaning and impact on Ryo's character if this happens, a big development for Ryo's character, if this happen it will be really emotional and intense in my opinion.

@FahimAbdul235 I don't remember if i saw this detail before in the video, interesting. I saw that you are new here, welcome to the forums. 😊

Revenge can carry the death of dear people, it's a cycle. I think that Ren will be the one that die protecting Ryo, also, I think that Yu-san did say that we will know about his past. Surely how he did end in that kind of life.

how do you imagine Ryo with gi? Another different from Akira's, right?

I don't think is an awful idea, some people learn the lesson only in the hard way and maybe this is how Ryo will learn the lessons.

In my opinion there are 2 lessons Ryo will learn, i don't know how he will fully learn this lessons but him learning this lessons is important in my opinion.

1. Keep friends, those you love, close to you. - Iwao

2. Martial Arts are used to protect people's lifes, if you use your fists otherwise you will walk on the path of evil, too... -Xiuying

When i first saw that concept art i thought it was Lan Di, i saw green in the outfit of that character, some people even said that it is Ren or younger Ryo, Younger Ryo (Akira) to show that he changed and learned a lot.

It will be very sad if Ren dies, I love Ren but I don't think it will ruin Shenmue's story if it happens, I think it will have a big meaning and impact on Ryo's character if this happens, a big development for Ryo's character, if this happen it will be really emotional and intense in my opinion.

@FahimAbdul235 I don't remember if i saw this detail before in the video, interesting. I saw that you are new here, welcome to the forums. 😊
Thanks!

If we look at the sleeves of rens "new outfit" we can pin point the similaritys and see that it is definitely ren dead in the chapter card beside the left one.Screenshots_2021-09-26-10-29-55.png

I didn't think that was Ren, I did think that he was a master or something, but looks like that he wear the bandana!
Still, is strange look Ren with more oriental and serious clothes.

Back