Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

It's amazing how they seem to be keeping the Shenmue story to the letter. My assumption was that the anime would take Shenmue as a rough framework of ideas but that they'd go off and do their own thing with it; instead we have Heartbeats bar, the sword handguard, Master Chen, the same playful/adversarial relationship with Guizhang, hints of the mystery of the mirrors, Terry, Chai, the whole lot! Not bad for a clip lasting barely a minute! I can't wait to see how Ren will have turned out. I love that in the section where Ryo is walking through town (0:38) saying Ore no mokuteki wa... – My goal... – We almost get a sense of that feeling we have in the games where Ryo is going from place to place in search of clues. Incredible they managed to capture that (or a case of me massively projecting my own memories onto this perhaps! 😆)
Either way I just can't WAIT to see this. As a fan it's going to be fascinating seeing how the story is fleshed out and how it may even take us beyond what we know! I'll be posting this to all my anime fan friends far and wide! 😀

Dakara ore wa... TSUYOKU NARU!! 😃🤣
Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!.jpg
They've clearly made Ryo a bit more bad-ass but I'm kinda ok with that as far as turning it into an anime goes :relaxed: Hopefully we'll get plenty of quieter story-filled and character-building parts too – I'm hopeful!

So hyped for this 😊

Hey we have a third trailer here! Linked to from the Movie section of the Japanese site:

They kept the poem!! And from those clips it definitely looks like we're getting a lot more story and, spoiler,
even taking us to the Guilin cave in Disc 4!
I'm blown away... Shenhua looks fantastic. I wonder whether they kept Haruka Terui from Shenmue 3 – the whole Japanese cast doesn't seem to be announced yet.
Couldn't be more intrigued!

It seems we are in very good hands in terms of screen writting with Kento Shimoyama.
He seems to have vast experience in anime's and tv series.
It seems he has also been in charge in the composition of the Bleach series since 2008 wich is very well known.

If it works out really well I would really want him to work on the story for Shenmue IV.

This guy’s got 3.5 million followers? WHY ISNT HE TELLING THEM TO BACK SHENMUE IV

Anyway, you can already see the value here. The anime was a brilliant move. Now, to many younger folks around the world, it’s not just some weird old game. It’s the new ANIME ON ADULT SWIM.

The good scenario that i imagine for the future of Shenmue would be this way...

Release of the anime... the anime is a success with the critics and Shenmue fans, the anime brought more fans to the Shenmue community.

In the last episode of the anime or a few weeks after the ending we will have the confirmation that Shenmue IV is in development.

Release of Shenmue IV maybe in 2024... after Shenmue IV release we will have the announcement of the second season of the anime that will tell the story of Shenmue III and Shenmue IV, adding new things to the story and lore like the first season did,

second season will have 13 episodes as well.

After that Yu Suzuki will announce Shenmue V, the game that will finish this epic and beautiful saga, and after that the last season of the anime, the season that will tell the story of Shenmue V, the end of this wonderful saga. Shenmue will have a beautiful conclusion in the games and in the anime, it will be an emotional moment for us and for Yu Suzuki.

I know... i know is just me dreaming... please let me dream, thank you. 😊

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how great this looks overall! I know cartoon/anime/video game movies often seem to move so far away from the source material, but this looks on point. I don't enjoy anime whatsoever, but I can't wait to see the Shenmue anime! The music in the trailer was AWFUL though, that doesn't fit the Shenmue vibe at all, but certainly sounds like almost any other anime music.

Do we know how many episodes and/or seasons the Shenmue Animation will get?

I believe that a colaboration between the Anime team and Ys Net for the development of Shenmue 4 would be a wonderfull thing specially in terms of story telling and character development.
I absolutely love Shenmue 3 in so many ways; but it would have been great if it's story and character development could have benefited from such a collaboration as this one back when it was still being developed.
Really hope both teams join together for the future development of Shenmue 4; because the series has a wonderfull story that deserves being told in the best possible way.

This one of my favourite parts from Shenmue 3 that really shows its potential of telling a great Story.

Do we know how many episodes and/or seasons the Shenmue Animation will get?
13 episodes. Season 2 not confirmed, but it does well enough... fingers crossed?

On that subject, gonna plug this again. The anime's ranking on MyAnimeList has been shooting up, but it needs to go higher to break into the Top 50 upcoming anime and potentially draw a larger audience.

Im really happy about the consensus here, and on other places, twitter, YT Fb...
Even though the idea of a Shenmue anime threw some people off in the past, today that's not the case.
Everyone I know that likes Shenmue is actually excited for the anime now, an they all love the way it looks!!

Even ppl who never played the games seem excited by the way that the anime looks. (judging by YT comments and twitter feeds)

The fandom seems united !

Great stuff

Now I might be stoking a fire here but I am of the impression crunchyroll are only showing the subtitled version:

This is from their press release on the anime:

The series is set to kick off on Crunchyroll and Adult Swim on Saturday, February 5 at 9:30pm Pacific Time, with Crunchyroll streaming the subtitled version worldwide outside of Japan and Adult Swim airing the English dub.

That says to me they won't have the English dub. I will see if we can get any clarity on this going forward.

If anyone knows how we can watch this in English, then do let me know and I will do a video for it.

Last edited:
I am going to watch it on crunchyroll because I only have a account there and I am glad we get the japanese version and not the English version. The japanese version sounds way better. Japanese dub for the win.
not to mock any of the enlish voice actors, i'm sure they did a good job but no thanks!

The real experience is with the native language.

After the horrible Eng Shenmue 2 dub on the xbox, i became a jap dub enthusiast :ROFLMAO:

13 episodes. Season 2 not confirmed, but it does well enough... fingers crossed?

On that subject, gonna plug this again. The anime's ranking on MyAnimeList has been shooting up, but it needs to go higher to break into the Top 50 upcoming anime and potentially draw a larger audience.

Thanks!! Does anyone know how often each episode will release? I don't have any cartoon/anime streaming services so I want to get an idea on how long I may have to be subscribed. Also, is Crunchyroll or Adult Swim streaming services a lot like Netflix where you can just watch old episodes as much as you like on demand? Or is it like live tv at a scheduled time only?

Does anyone know if Shenmue Animation is getting a digital purchase option to own it outright digitally outside of streaming? Or even....wait for it....gasp....a bluray/dvd?

not to mock any of the enlish voice actors, i'm sure they did a good job but no thanks!

The real experience is with the native language.

After the horrible Eng Shenmue 2 dub on the xbox, i became a jap dub enthusiast :ROFLMAO:

It is too early to judge the dub just based on the trailer. But so far the English dub does not sound that bad. It just lacks the Shenmue vibe the Japanese version has.

The english dub of Shenmue 2 is indeed on the bad side though. I got introduced to Shenmue 2 in Japanese with the Pal Dreamcast version and i did not got into the English version until the hd remaster on the ps4. And while the dub of Shenmue 1 is not award worthy it still has certain charm that makes the game enjoyable. The dub of Shenmue 2 on the other hand is just bad.

It is too early to judge the dub just based on the trailer. But so far the English dub does not sound that bad. It just lacks the Shenmue vibe the Japanese version has.

The english dub of Shenmue 2 is indeed on the bad side though. I got introduced to Shenmue 2 in Japanese with the Pal Dreamcast version and i did not got into the English version until the hd remaster on the ps4. And while the dub of Shenmue 1 is not award worthy it still has certain charm that makes the game enjoyable. The dub of Shenmue 2 on the other hand is just bad.
exactly my thoughts.
Shenmue1 eng dub is actually very nice. I do enjoy it a lot.
On the other hand, I don't know what happened between Shenmue 1 and 2 cause the later one is just so underwhelming.
Outside of some cutscenes, corey sounds plain bad as well as some other characters

Back