Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

003.jpg

005.jpg

I agree, maybe in the anime we will see in detail what happened that day, maybe we will see Yamagishi-san, Megumi and the kitten, i think it will be awesome.

I saw that some people are worried about the pace of the story for the anime. I'm not worried with this because i know that anime is a completely different medium than the games.

In the anime we will probably not see Ryo buying soda every episode, we will probably not see Ryo buying capsule toys for 5 minutes every episode, i think we will see some scenes like this but not all the time, to me the anime will focus more on the story, this to me is one of the reasons why we can see that the anime is expanding the story and lore, many aspects of gameplay and how the story progress in the game will not be the same in the anime, it is a different medium so i think 13 episodes are okay to tell the story of Shenmue I and II.

For example... 6 episodes for Yokosuka is more than enough in my opinion to tell the story of the first game, would be cool a season per game but i think the way they are doing it will be really beautiful.

i need to watch the anime first to have a full opinion about all of this but i think i will enjoy the anime a lot.
Agreed; seeying those parts of the story that we have never seen in the game will be a wonderfull thing for us fans and will wonderfully fill in the gaps between the story moments of the games giving much more depth to the series overhaul.

I've watched both versions of the second trailers at least 2 times since last night. What a epic time we're in for everybody. I'm so fascinated by what new lore/scenes they add maybe we'll get the car speeding away splashing mud on Nozomi perhaps and maybe a scene at the school in the beginning, always been intrigued by what weather and time of day they'll use for the scenes from the games too.

I'm so excited.

It's been great seeing a lot of positive feedback on external sites (Push Square especially) and not as much snarkiness other than some mildly acceptable memes.

I truly do feel bad for Corey and Eric, but I can understand why a lot the voices are with professionals (for lack of a better word). The love they have for the community and the series cannot be understated. I think they would still support the show as best they can as I like to think they are fans of the series themselves. That said, i'm surprised Brianna wasn't brought back for Shenhua seeing as she does a lot of anime work.

Corey has posted the trailer on his trailer, but hasn't said anything about it.

It's got me thinking though; would Shenmue IV be more likely having the new guy to do the voice of Ryo? If you're new to the anime, perhaps Corey's voice might be jarring...that said, if you played the games, you'd have no choice unless you go native Japanese.

I desperately want to see what merch is going to come; surely blu-rays and soundtrack CD's are a bare minimum?!

EDIT: I did a dirty laugh reading this...

1642707171816.png

Last edited:
Definitely feel bad. I do get the sense they'd retcon the Ryo VA if the anime takes off. There'd be more to lose from using Corey than the other guy, unfortunately, but I guess they need to let business sense guide them.

Agreed; seeying those parts of the story that we have never seen in the game will be a wonderfull thing for us fans and will wonderfully fill in the gaps between the story moments of the games giving much more depth to the series overhaul.

In the game we know that Tom argued with Lan Di and the others, we know about the splashing mud on Nozomi, we know that Yamagishi-san almost got hit by the black car, we know that the kitten's mother died because of the car.

We didn't see the scenes in the game, we just know these things because the characters talked for Ryo what happened.

Now with the anime maybe we will see all of this scenes. I think it will be epic if in the anime appear Lan Di arriving in Dobuita and we see in detail everything that happened in the day when the snow turned to rain.

I really feel that this adaptation will add so much to the Shenmue series

Now for this to get even better i just need a confirmation about the game Shenmue IV. 😊

I desperately want to see what merch is going to come; surely blu-rays and soundtrack CD's are a bare minimum?!

I imagine soundtrack, Blu-rays, action figures, maybe t-shirts and much more.

I'm hyped beyond immagination! Gonna get a Crunchyroll membership this weekend and if the end result turns out to be anywhere nearly as good as the trailers, count me in for a Bluray release, soundtrack on CD and vynil, T-shirts, a Shenmue The Animation perfume or whatever they've got coming. YEEEEEES!!!

One thing I don't understand is why other big youtubers that are Shenmue fans aren't helping promoting the Anime Series.
Per example Happy Console Gamer is a big Shenmue and Anime Fan and almost certainly he must know by now that the Shenmue Anime is coming out but I haven't heard him mention anything or even make a video about it.
Makes me feel a bit sad because he is one of my favourite youtubers and he still hasn't mentioned anything about the Anime.

Happy Console Gamer.jpg

Corey Marshall tweeted the trailer pretty quick while news was breaking alongside the rest of the community--in addition to hyping the project a fe months ago, IIRC. Have a feeling there's no resentment and perhaps they'll be a cameo in a smaller role? Also hope Bill Butts returns as Tom!

Honestly, I think even if you’re not going to buy the subscription for crunchyroll to watch the anime I still think we should give this the Shenmue 3 treatment where we just shill, shill, shill.
I think the anime’s success is really tangent on if we’re ever going to continue the series through the video games.
So even if you aren’t going to watch it through crunchyroll I would still just buy the subscription anyways to show our support, also let’s not forget to stream this show like crazy so that the ratings go up!!

Now i'm looking forward to seeing how Xiuying, Fangmei, Tom and so many other characters will look like in the anime.

The anime is even better than i thought it would be, i'm talking about the presentation of everything we saw in the new arts and trailers, i agree with code I name, amazing stuff.

I do feel bad for Corey. I hope if they cast him in Shenmue 4, they tell him to just use his regular voice and don't put on a stoic persona. That and give him some good direction on how he should deliver his lines, and make him record his lines with other actors at the same time so it comes across more natural.

I understand fully why the anime didn't cast him and to be honest i support the decision to give Ryo a new VA. They want the product to be viewed seriously and have it maintain a high standard, especially for the companies involved. The last thing we need, are memes about the voice acting in the Shenmue anime. With the last two trailers, you literally can't complain about hardly anything. It all looks top quality. Still, I know it must sting Corey to see the Japanese Voice Actor recasted and him left out. Hopefully, he doesn't take it personally.

I'm even cool with Lan Di's new voice. One thing i do think is that it would be incredibly hard for someone like Paul Lucas to speak like Lan Di continuously in normal conversation with that menacing tone. For short busts, it seems fine, but long dialogue, it seems to fall apart a bit. You can see this with the voice mod in shenmue 3 with paul lucas. I think the anime is a nice balance for Lan Di's voice. Plus we know Lan Di has extra dialogue and scenes in the anime. In Shenmue 3, his new VA sounded like liquid snake on coke from Metal Gear Solid.

Ine san sounds awesome. Guizhang sounds awesome even though im used to his old voice. Charlie sounds cool. Shenhua sounds excellent, chai sounds really good. Great job all around on the anime

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been said or not but thought I'd post it here:
SHENCRUNCH.jpg
I noticed that on the XBOX GAME PASS PERKS you can get a 75 day trial for CrunchyRoll Premium! It expires on the 8th Feb - But I assume you can start your trial on the 5th and it will last the 75 days beyond... I'm actually using a GAME PASS Ultimate trial too, so hope I can keep the CR trial after that runs out - anyways thought it may be of interest to some Xboxers here.

Side note, has there been any news on if the episodes are going to be released weekly or all readily available on the 5th?

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHH this is amazing!!
And I'm late!
Wow. Just wow. That Japanese trailer! :O
It's more Shenmue than I ever could have imagined. I simply can't believe how many plot parts and even everyday things they've managed to keep in there! All the characters, even minor ones from battles, the telephone, the mirror, the BACKGROUNDS! Sakuragaoka looks like they've fused the game world and real Japanese suburbia! And it looks like we're getting Shenmue II in there too, with a beautiful urban skyline in that final Lan Di shot. My heart skipped a beat when we glimsed Nozomi on the motorcycle! And Shenua's there all cute waiting in the Chinese forest too!

It sounds like the original voice actor for Japanese Ryo! I must admit when I saw the English trailer I still thought cringe, even though it's an improvement on the games (I'm sorry for Cory, but it did need to be taken up a notch for the anime to have wider appeal!). It could be just that I'm used to seeing anime in Japanese though and I'm more used to the Japanese version of the games at this point. The Japanese sounds excellent!

The style! it totally exudes Shenmue but has somehow made it into an even more expressive anime form while still retaining its essence! With snapshots of Suka High it seems we're going to have all kinds of little bits of story filling in the gaps - the transition from school to training to the Dojo scene being just one example we see!

I have to watch this again, and again, but I couldn't be more excited from first impressions! More than anything, my first immediate thought was "I can share this with people I know who love anime, but who would never have played the original games!" Maybe we can dare to dream of this taking the series to a whole new audience after all and springboarding the fourth game we yearn for after all :O

And it's coming on 5th February?? In... two weeks? Huh! Whoa! I'm in shock - thought we'd be waiting until autumn at the earliest. Gotta watch this again! Guess I won't be sleeping tonight! :D Apologies for the hyper post but I'm not even sorry!

Back