Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

-Esp. given this somewhat surprisingly early release date, I'm anticipating no S4 announcement at the end (given development in relation to COVID). I say that not out of pessimism, but to keep the very Stoicism Shenmue taught this former idealistic teen ;). I want to be proven wrong, of course!
Well, what I would realistically expect (and want!) at the end is an announcement of a second season of the Shenmue Anime, with Shenmue 3 story and beyond.

Well, what I would realistically expect (and want!) at the end is an announcement of a second season of the Shenmue Anime, with Shenmue 3 story and beyond.
I'd wonder if that announcement would also be premature-- it's likely hard for higher-ups to determine that before viewership is recorded-- but I'm complete agreement with you in shared desire and modest hope.
I'll take any Shenmue content I can; I merely hope we're not all gearing up for big news due to mere scraps of positivity, however promising those scraps.

Do your part and inform the anime community about it, why they should be interested, etc. It’s the least/most I can do… and others. Plus lots of Shenmue fans probably still don’t know about it.

What's the actual importance of this btw? Might put the call out on the Dojo's social media if it's super vital.
They're the largest anime fan site with millions of users. People use the site to catalog what anime they've watched or plan to watch. It then gives anime a ranking in certain genres, and ongoing anime is ranked among what else is currently airing in the season. If it gets a high rank, the site usually gives more exposure to the series by reccomending it to others and it can increase the user base by a lot for people overseas. So basically, the more people that add it to their "plan to watch" list and then later to their "watching" list the more the site is going to promote it in the current anime season.

It really sucks that they didn't approve the anime until today because now users only have 2 weeks to find out about it and add it to their watch list, and they might already have a lot on their plate now. Other anime get their page approved the second a new season is announced. Shenmue is cursed sometimes I swear lol

I noticed one thing in the japanese trailer.

In this part of the trailer Chai attacked Ryo, here we can see that Ryo is with the bandage but Chai removed the Bandage from Ryo's face in this scene.

1642697736095.png

1642697844955.png

Maybe Ryo will get the scar because of Lan Di like i said in my other post, but it is interesting to remember that Yu Suzuki said that the scar is from the last battle of the tournament. We will see this tournament? after i saw the english trailer i think we will see this tournament.

This to me is part of the Tournament, one character said "1 point" and then Ryo's friends commemorate like this.

1642698523211.png

The scar part will happen in the tournament like Yu Suzuki said a long time ago? it is possible that will happen in the tournament and maybe after that Lan Di will open even more, after that Ryo will probably decide to put the bandage.

The first game Ryo already have the bandage but in my opinion is important to remember that the anime is an adaptation, this adaptation will not be 100% the same as the games, i feel that with the anime Yu Suzuki got a beautiful opportunity to put a lot of things from the original material/the scripts so i really enjoy the new take the anime will bring to the story.

I love to see that they add so much details and lore to the story with Yu Suzuki as executive producer. We will see how Ryo got the scar, we will probably see the tournament, we will probably see Suka High, maybe they will expand the story with Mark and his brother, maybe we will see where Nozomi live and much more, looks like we will see some different parts of Yokosuka as well like Suka High for example, i love this new take with the Shenmue anime, it is beautiful.

I'm really looking forward to next month, I believe this anime is going to be amazing and a success and will bring new fans to the community, beautiful moment for the Shenmue Community.

Last edited:
They're the largest anime fan site with millions of users. People use the site to catalog what anime they've watched or plan to watch. It then gives anime a ranking in certain genres, and ongoing anime is ranked among what else is currently airing in the season. If it gets a high rank, the site usually gives more exposure to the series by reccomending it to others and it can increase the user base by a lot for people overseas. So basically, the more people that add it to their "plan to watch" list and then later to their "watching" list the more the site is going to promote it in the current anime season.

It really sucks that they didn't approve the anime until today because now users only have 2 weeks to find out about it and add it to their watch list, and they might already have a lot on their plate now. Other anime get their page approved the second a new season is announced. Shenmue is cursed sometimes I swear lol
In light of this:

Get sharing, gang!

All this scar thing make me think more about the parallelism about Ryo and Lan-di and perhaps that Iwao did the scar on him when he tried to defend his father.

Also, the scar can represent the revenge, and only will dissapear when revenge is overcome.
The same though came across my mind after rewatching the trailer so many times and I also think you are right and that's what must have happened.

Another thing about this new take on the story about the anime... we can see that Lan Di will have so many scenes in the anime that are not in the games, will be awesome if we get more scenes with Lan Di.

Maybe with the anime we will learn more what type of character Lan Di is in the story. Lan Di to me is not the real villain of the story, Lan Di was probably manipulated by The Chi You Men and probably one day Ryo and Lan Di will understand each other. Yu Suzuki said that the feeling of revenge will disappear so this is possible.

Can you all imagine flashbacks telling some things about Lan Di's past? not everything of course because of Shenmue IV but i know one thing... more scenes with Lan Di, pleeeaaase.

1642700652397.png
1642700724054.png

Last edited:
I think that this part is the one the black car comes across Tom's Hot Dog Truck.
index.php

I think that this part is the one the black car comes across Tom's Hot Dog Truck.
index.php

I agree, maybe in the anime we will see in detail what happened that day, maybe we will see Yamagishi-san, Megumi and the kitten, i think it will be awesome.

I saw that some people are worried about the pace of the story for the anime. I'm not worried with this because i know that anime is a completely different medium than the games.

In the anime we will probably not see Ryo buying soda every episode, we will probably not see Ryo buying capsule toys for 5 minutes every episode, i think we will see some scenes like this but not all the time, to me the anime will focus more on the story, this to me is one of the reasons why we can see that the anime is expanding the story and lore, many aspects of gameplay and how the story progress in the game will not be the same in the anime, it is a different medium so i think 13 episodes are okay to tell the story of Shenmue I and II.

For example... 6 episodes for Yokosuka is more than enough in my opinion to tell the story of the first game, would be cool a season per game but i think the way they are doing it will be really beautiful.

i need to watch the anime first to have a full opinion about all of this but i think i will enjoy the anime a lot.

Back