Predorder Numbers Speculation

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
Resident Evil 5 (PS4), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
So we know that Sega has stated that if the series rejuvenation does well enough that we could perhaps see more. We also know that Shenmue 1 & 2 have been doing really well with preorders globally on sites such as Amazon. I don't know of many other sites that track their preorder numbers but it has been doing well.

What can we guesstimate Shenmue 1 & 2 have done so far for preorders? A few hundred thousand? Maybe even the million preorder mark? Maybe not.

Then we have to consider what is the magical number for Sega that constitutes success for these remasters?

As per Adam Koralik, Sega has already considered this a huge success. It will sell very well. So many fans are buying multiple copies. (Doing so will falsely inflate the household install base, but who cares, Sega is still going to be rolling in the cash)

Does buying 1 physical copy,and also buying it digitally on ps store count as 2 copies?

I don't have a clue how much you have to sell in order to be at the top of the charts on Amazon in various countries against diverse other games but I have a way to good feeling so I'll just go ahead and guess 550.000 preoders so far.

As per Adam Koralik, Sega has already considered this a huge success. It will sell very well. So many fans are buying multiple copies. (Doing so will falsely inflate the household install base, but who cares, Sega is still going to be rolling in the cash)

I think there's a genuine mass audience at work here. The number of people buying multiple copies is relatively few - it just seems to be a lot in a forum like this because naturally the most hardcore congregate here. I think the vast majority of sales are actually just 'regular' folks buying one copy.

I think there's a genuine mass audience at work here. The number of people buying multiple copies is relatively few - it just seems to be a lot in a forum like this because naturally the most hardcore congregate here. I think the vast majority of sales are actually just 'regular' folks buying one copy.
I agree that the vast majority will be single purchase buys, but the hardcore fans will be inflating the numbers. I will be buying at least 7 copies of the HD collection and it will be glorious lol

Back