Ports / HD Remasters -- What do you want to see?

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
FF7 Rebirth (PS5), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
Over the last decade, we've seen the trend of porting previous gen titles to the newer ecosystems increase. I've very nearly gotten a majority of my favorites onto the PS4/5 ecosystem but there's still more I wish I could revisit at all, let alone in HD without emulation.

What are some of your top picks from the systems of the past you'd like to see brought back? I list a few of mine:

Dino Crisis 1 & 2:

dc_1.jpg

If you haven't gotten the chance to play Dino Crisis, I'd recommend getting around to it. It's Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park. With this one, what I'd like to see is a full remake treatment like RE2 and 3 got in recent years. Mesh the first two games together in one epic adventure.

Warhawk:

warhawk-ps4-playstation-4-ps3-sony-2.large.jpg

Warhawk was one of the only games to get motion controls right. Flying with motion was incredibly well done but they had the option to turn off motion controls for ground vehicles such as jeeps and tanks. The overall game was really fun to play; especially with people you knew on your team. The only thing lacking was a single player mode.

Bionic Commando Rearmed:

1405545467000-bcr-screenshot-ign-08.jpg

Sure, it's a remake of an NES game, but they did an incredible job on it. Unfortunately, it's stuck in the PS3 ecosystem, locked away from people like me that bought it. This would be an easy one for Capcom to port but for some reason they haven't.

Army of Two:
912c+uc70UL.jpg

This is one of the more fun co-op shooter experience I've had. The gaming community needs to bring back more games that are co-op action like this.

Tomb Raider PS1 and PS2 collections:
MV5BZDAzNmJjOGUtNzVlNi00ODRmLWI5ZWQtZWMzYzczM2Q0ZWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI3NzE4MTM@._V1_.jpg

Even if we got separated collections (A PS1 collection of TR 1-5 and a PS2 collection of TRL-TRU) I would be happy. With as popular a series as it is, I'm really surprised that Square opted to ignore the series for its 25th anniversary. Most people within the fan base were expecting some kind of port announcement but instead we got the three newer games as a single collection... all three of which were already on the newer systems (obviously). While still great games, the fans wanted to revisit the earlier entries in HD. Hopefully we'll get this with Amazon taking the helm of the series for publishing.

What are your top picks?

Resident Evil 1-3
Dino Crisis 1,2

Extermation

a real nice not so much known horror game of the ps2 area

Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are also some nice games that should come back.

Another game I could think would be that one

I really had fun with Oni on my Ps2 back then. The controls were not that great and the gameplay was quite repetitive but the mixture of Gun play and melee action was very entertaining. I would buy a hd remaster that is based on the better pc version asap.

Last edited:
i regret not playing dino crisis 1/2 when they first came out on the ps1, i played the demo disc of dino crisis 1 and it was really good and i remember, i got a jump scare when the t-rex showed up lol.

i keep meaning to play it but the price of the ps1 game keeps going up. maybe i'll get lucky and find a copy at a flea market/carboot. lol

--

most of the games which i would love to see a remaster of are ps1 era games, like ape escape 1, tenchu, fear effect, syphon filter. ...fear effect was getting a true fixed camera remake at one point but they stopped working on it, now its going to be some sort of standard 3d shooting game. :crying:

and 3 pc games i would love to see remastered are return to castle Wolfenstein, messiah (2000) and battlefield 2. if it was tthe same as the original but with nicer graphics, battlefield 2 would make a great free xbox/ps5 online game. (bf2 was a lot more enjoyable than modern online shooters)

Although I have patched repro of the first Sakura Wars for the Saturn I would buy a remaster of the game without a second thought. Sakura Wars 2 und the Dreamcast Sakura Wars Games remastered also would be a must buy for me.

A lot of my favorites do tend to get remasters or ports already, but for those that haven’t there’s Metal Gear Solid 4 and God Hand. Then there’s some I’ve either not had a chance to play yet or barely any, like Chulip or the earlier Fatal Frame games, 3D Dot Game Heroes, probably some that aren’t coming to mind right now.

One of the best main character introduction and first line ever. Its obvious that Mikami needed working at refreshing things after a long time into RE. It looks to me like a spiritual sequel of ps1's Rising Zan, another trippy western with clunky slashing gameplay but strangely addictive.
Then there’s some I’ve either not had a chance to play yet or barely any, like Chulip or the earlier Fatal Frame games, 3D Dot Game Heroes, probably some that aren’t coming to mind right now.
The first Fatal Frame title is cursed and is dangerous, should be avoided. You don't believe me then get it, pause the game for a while and don't say I tried to save your soul.
Its a game that oozes evil and nope, to a point that was downplayed in sequels until 4th and I didn't found in atmosphere until Outlast.
There's big flaws though, like some absurd hard puzzles, extreme bactracking only surpassed by Rule of Rose and worst of all, game breaking glitches/save corrupting. Its cursed.

Kameo for Xbox 360 its a game that could be ported almost untouched. Still the best water effect that I remember. And very fun.

• Phantasy Star 1 through 4 "Pixel Remasters", and might as well finish the Sega CD version of Phantasy Star IV ;)
    • I'm picturing voice acting and animated cutscenes for the latter. And imagine if the fight with Zio had animated clouds/backgrounds?
  • Another shot at MGS 1 - enough time has passed where the tech can go much further than the Twin Snakes
  • Shining Force III - I haven't played this personally, but 32-bit games have a lot of room to benefit from a remaster, if done correctly. I loved Shining Force 1, 2, and CD.
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga - Same as above
  • Skies of Arcadia
(I haven't played Dino Crisis, but sign me up for that!)

Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Kenka Bancho (PS2/PSP)
Disaster Report 1-3 (" ")
Mad World (Wii)
Kameo (X360)
Condemned 2 (" ")
Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald (MegaDrive)
Disney's Hercules (PSX)
Discworld II (PC, PSX & Saturn)

A remaster of the original clock tower game might happen

would buy it asap if it is true. Have never played the game .
Lets hope it doesnt get a lazy 2x SAL filter treatment, avaliable in emulators for every existing port and looks like this proof of concept by Chris Darril (Remothered).
Clock_tower_prototype_little_sewing_machine.jpg

What I don't like:
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a great horror game, with notable sense of dread and replay value for a 1994 title. It used SNES cartridge space really well.

@Seaman Yeas i also hope that the remaster will be as close the original as possible. I want to owe the original game with as little modifications as possible.

@Seaman Yeas i also hope that the remaster will be as close the original as possible. I want to owe the original game with as little modifications as possible.
Probably I explained wrong. I would like the original graphics and gameplay as a retro feature but I wish they revamp graphics in 2D. Many other fans want the RE Remake treatment, but that feel off to me in this series where every later 3D sequel plays worst than the original imo.
Also expanding Barrows Mansion would be good, as lots of rooms are almost duplicates. Hopefully they don't take the rom disassembled, ported to modern system as barebones as it is.
Trivia: after the opening cutscene, the first line of script is about how big the mansion is, same as a later title by Capcom and pronounced by Wesker.

Off the top of my head...

Anything Nintendo. They're great porting, but not at remastering or upscaling. I'd love to see the DKC trilogy remastered, cleaned up, and with some extra content. DKC3 in particular is in desperate need of that, as the GBA port had a bunch of new stuff and replaced some of the more questionable music tracks with stuff by David Wise. A version of DKC3 combining the best of both versions would be a much better game.

RE: Code Veronica. This needs at least an HD port to modern systems (beyond just Xbox 360), if not a full-on RE 2/3/4 remake.

Shadow of Destiny. Another unique title that I like to recommend for people who like the Shenmue vibe (it's not like Shenmue, but it has a similar... feel?).

• Shining Force III - I haven't played this personally, but 32-bit games have a lot of room to benefit from a remaster, if done correctly. I loved Shining Force 1, 2, and CD.
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga - Same as above
  • Skies of Arcadia
All three of these are top of my list. I played the English SFIII and LOVED IT, far more than the others of the time (and that's noting I quite like SF I and II and some of the spinoffs). I have the JP versions of the other scenarios and the Premium Disc, but it's just not the same.

SoA is one of my all-time favorite RPGs and I wanna replay it all nice and fancy, and get friends to play it.

And I just never played PDS and I wanna try it.

I had a lot of fun with the Army of Two games so a modern compilation release or something would be great.

Skies of Arcadia is always top of my list for these questions though!

Shadow of Destiny. Another unique title that I like to recommend for people who like the Shenmue vibe (it's not like Shenmue, but it has a similar... feel?).
Agreed. Anything with Twin Peaks vibes will, by force, have Shenmue 1 vibes.
But the correct title is Shadow of Memories, sir. Not Destiny : p

While Capcom is busy remaking every mainline Resident Evil game, I can't believe they haven't put out a collection of the original PS1 games.

1689720184633.png

While Capcom is busy remaking every mainline Resident Evil game, I can't believe they haven't put out a collection of the original PS1 games.

View attachment 18509
Specially when those pieces of their history, which made them to appear in public unattached from fighting games like a punch in a table, defying Quake ruling and so on, are falling in rottenware due incompatibility with modern hardware. The best ports in terms of features and modding are imo the japanese Sourcenext editions, and boldly praise the efforts of one person by the nickname Peixoto for solving most of the compatibility issues.
RE1 internartional cover illustration, what a blast to the past. Did anyone else here covered half Chris face and thought "he's angry" and then swap to the other side "now he's shitting his pants".
It was one of those games that at first sight on magazines it was unbelievable it looked like that. The combination of prerendered backgrounds, with those models was such a breakthrough.
I fondly recall playing the RE2 10min. demo in front of my father and he commenting it in amaze, mocking me for dying just there in the starting accident point and ordering me powering down the PSX when blowed a zombie head off with the shotgun (which he called "rabbit killer" ☺️)

My simple answer to this is... EVERYTHING! I know that comes across as very entitiled but t he indutry does a poor job in mainiting it's history. I have 2 storage boxes of PS2 games I can't play because I don't have an ideal set-up for them.

I saw a quote about the 83% of games which are are unavailable on modern systems which stated - "You wouldn't want to rerly on VHS to watch old movies, yet the gaming industry expect the same." I'm paraphrasing but the sentiment is still valid, the gaming industry is terrible for making old games accessible on modern systems!

Like what was mentioned about Resident Evil above, I appreciate good Remakes but I want the original experiences Upscaled & fitted for widescreen! (No, I still haven't forgiven the console Port for Shenmue 1&2 on it's 4:3 cutscenes) A Remake shoyld be treated as an indulgence not a replacement for the original experience. At least with the MGS3 Remake I can experience the original game on the upcoming HD Collection.

Take Silent Hill 2's Remake, I believe it will be a very competent game, yet I still want to experience the original game - of course we had the botched HD Collection but at the moment the best way to play SH2 is using the poorly handled mess on an Xbo Bakcwards Compatible System.

Sony have their PS+ Scheme to where they drip 1 or 2 games per month. They look and perform just has I hoped. But to keep the hyp on their PS+ subscriptions they have to hold back, otherwise excitement will fade. Mind you, they haven't been re-releasing new PS2 games, jsut the few which appeared on PS4 over 5 years ago...

In many ways I feel my need is very simple, so when I see these full-budget Remakes I can't help but sigh.

Agreed. Anything with Twin Peaks vibes will, by force, have Shenmue 1 vibes.
But the correct title is Shadow of Memories, sir. Not Destiny : p
I had a brain cramp and was like, wait, am I totally misremembering the name? Forgot it was Memories everywhere but in the US. :ROFLMAO:

It really is strange how vibes can unite games. I feel silly sometimes trying to explain to people how Shadow of De-er, Memories and Deadly Premonition feel like Shenmue. "Okay, so these two are supernatural semi-comedic stories, one about time travel, another about zombies, and Shenmue is this grounded, real-world martial arts epic, but really, try one if you liked the other!"

I can't think of many cases where I'd do such wildly opposing cross-genre recommendations like that with books or movies and have it still be an accurate comparison!

Back