Poll: Have you purchased the DLC for Shenmue 3?

Have you purchased the DLC for Shenmue 3?

• Yes and I have played it.

Votes: 84 51.2%
  • Yes, but I haven’t played it yet.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No, but I plan to buy it in the future.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No and I have no intention of buying it.

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • No, but I might buy it in the future.

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
But is the DLC really anything the fans actually wanted though? I'd like to see modding become a big thing with tools given to the community to be able to mod successfully. That was one of the biggest reasons Half Life 1 and 2 in general has lasted so long even to this day. Give the fans and the amateur developers something to work with and keep the love alive for Shenmue. All sorts of things could be created with the right tools. I'd hate to see it as DLC, but at least it would be something.

We as fans who prefer Steam should not have to wait even longer for the game. How in any way was that supporting the fans? Whether that was from Yu himself or Deep Silver it makes no difference. How can you expect the fans to support such practices? And to be quite honest, I am not even sure Shenmue is even shaping up to anything I am even looking forward to play. I am not keen on these newer graphics nor where the story was heading at the end of Shenmue 2. I much preferred Shenmue 1 as a whole.

And what is this Season Pass thing you speak? You telling me Shenmue 3 has it now too? Do they have loot crates as well!?

But is the DLC really anything the fans actually wanted though? I'd like to see modding become a big thing with tools given to the community to be able to mod successfully. That was one of the biggest reasons Half Life 1 and 2 in general has lasted so long even to this day. Give the fans and the amateur developers something to work with and keep the love alive for Shenmue. All sorts of things could be created with the right tools. I'd hate to see it as DLC, but at least it would be something.

We as fans who prefer Steam should not have to wait even longer for the game. How in any way was that supporting the fans? Whether that was from Yu himself or Deep Silver it makes no difference. How can you expect the fans to support such practices? And to be quite honest, I am not even sure Shenmue is even shaping up to anything I am even looking forward to play. I am not keen on these newer graphics nor where the story was heading at the end of Shenmue 2. I much preferred Shenmue 1 as a whole.

And what is this Season Pass thing you speak? You telling me Shenmue 3 has it now too? Do they have loot crates as well!?
I think you're being over dramatic.

Loot crates, not a chance.

Modding. Totally agree with. Lots has been done already.

I think you're being over dramatic.

Loot crates, not a chance.

Modding. Totally agree with. Lots has been done already.

Over dramatic? And what is "lots"? Lots is Half Life 1 and 2 where not only weapon skins were swapped, but whole new weapons created, NPCs, maps and even game types were made. Everything I am hearing for Shenmue modding is just making it work on modern hardware which should of been from the start and by the devs themselves and putting things back as they were which for copy right reasons is understandable they themselves could not. But until some actual new content is produced, or even able to be produced by the community, I would not call it modding.

And what about loot capsule machines? ^^!

Season pass is essentially just paying for the DLC in advance. Nothing to do with loot crates and the like.

Is that so... I thought it was more sinister than that...

Over dramatic? And what is "lots"? Lots is Half Life 1 and 2 where not only weapon skins were swapped, but whole new weapons created, NPCs, maps and even game types were made. Everything I am hearing for Shenmue modding is just making it work on modern hardware which should of been from the start and by the devs themselves and putting things back as they were which for copy right reasons is understandable they themselves could not. But until some actual new content is produced, or even able to be produced by the community, I would not call it modding.

And what about loot capsule machines? ^^!

Is that so... I thought it was more sinister than that...
I think you do the modders in this community a massive discredit. The new(old) camera mod, the old music/ sounds, the random model swaps, the FOV mod. The most prevalent mod being the Eric Kelso voice swap in the telephone calls. They had to be recorded and implemented.

The Shenmue 1 and 2 texture mods for PC, audio restoration etc. I could go on.

Ok Half life has more but that game was a PC original. It's only been the last few years since the originals hit PC that things have really taken off again for Shenmue mods. Hell they even got the passport working again amongst other model swaps

Loot box capsule toys... FML. It might be because its text but I hope you're not being serious.

That was one of the biggest reasons Half Life 1 and 2 in general has lasted so long even to this day. Give the fans and the amateur developers something to work with and keep the love alive for Shenmue. All sorts of things could be created with the right tools.

Right, but Shenmue I and Shenmue II, did not provide tools to aid modding, but was still very much popular and still played, even on native hardware due to poor emulation, at the time.. so I'm unsure how this has much to do with Shenmue.

We as fans who prefer Steam should not have to wait even longer for the game. How in any way was that supporting the fans? Whether that was from Yu himself or Deep Silver it makes no difference. How can you expect the fans to support such practices?

If you're truly waiting for the game to come out on Steam, I think you're missing out, regardless of whether or not you eventually like or dislike Shenmue III, surely as a fan of the series you're missing out over something like this.

There is nothing fundamentally different between a Steam release and an EGS release.

Everything I am hearing for Shenmue modding is just making it work on modern hardware which should of been from the start and by the devs themselves and putting things back as they were which for copy right reasons is understandable they themselves could not.

What do you mean by this, exactly? Could you provide an example? Being one of the most active (on these forums at least) modders I struggle to understand what you mean. If you're talking about the NPC fixes I made, that has nothing to do with 'modern hardware'.

But until some actual new content is produced, or even able to be produced by the community, I would not call it modding.

Ah, I assume you mean a mod like this:

No, it doesn't look good to me. Maybe one day I'll buy the merry cruise dlc on Steam but there's no rush.

Got it . Loved it. Dream come true for the true Shenmue fan. Beat the top score in a couple BR courses and got free Kungfu Uniform. The story DLC adds at least 4 wandering NPCs for you to talk to in Niaowu, and the ship adds several vendors and a few pedestrians you can talk to as well. Lol when you talk to the principals of the second Merry Cruise mission. Yu Suzuki really has a great sense of humor.

Back