Poll: Have you purchased the DLC for Shenmue 3?

Have you purchased the DLC for Shenmue 3?

• Yes and I have played it.

Votes: 84 51.2%
  • Yes, but I haven’t played it yet.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No, but I plan to buy it in the future.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No and I have no intention of buying it.

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • No, but I might buy it in the future.

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Sorry for being an idiot, but what do you mean by "but not anything and everything"?
Well, this dlc is rather... Unrelated to the main game, if you get my meaning. I'm all for supporting story dlc, whether it be main or side story, but what is offered here is just fluff.

Well, this dlc is rather... Unrelated to the main game, if you get my meaning. I'm all for supporting story dlc, whether it be main or side story, but what is offered here is just fluff.

You do know 1 of the 3 DLC is story related right? This isn’t directed at you per se but if you want to see more Shenmue, best way to support franchise is buying game and DLC. It’s really that simple.

I think it's good to offer something different. It can be considered "fluff" but considering the generally good reception to it I'd say it's worth the risk.

Also think of it as supporting the wider series. Shenmue 4 won't come without our support.

We all have our own ideas as to what DLC should be but personally I'd try it. The season pass wasn't expensive, certainly isn't now and you will get some story DLC soon.

That said no one is required to buy anything of course.

I can see why the price may seem a bit steep (esp. for naysayers of 3), but the Battle Rally is a charming surprise. Like most of S3's new additions, it really is one of those gambles where you just have to try it to see if you like it.

I'm glad it was released with a slight delay: it got me back into the game, as I was admittedly getting bored with it.

You do know 1 of the 3 DLC is story related right? This isn’t directed at you per se but if you want to see more Shenmue, best way to support franchise is buying game and DLC. It’s really that simple.
Yes, I was referring to this specific piece of dlc. Will be interested in the story dlc, if it's any good.

We differ on your second point, though. As much as I want to see more Shenmue games, I won't support anything Yu releases. If he wants me to spend my money on his products, it has to be good, and relevant to the original game. It's as simple as that.

I think it's good to offer something different. It can be considered "fluff" but considering the generally good reception to it I'd say it's worth the risk.

Also think of it as supporting the wider series. Shenmue 4 won't come without our support.

We all have our own ideas as to what DLC should be but personally I'd try it. The season pass wasn't expensive, certainly isn't now and you will get some story DLC soon.

That said no one is required to buy anything of course.
There isn't that many people who bought the game to make a large fuss about the season pass. Again, you shouldn't buy something based on the hope of a sequel. It's like emotional blackmail. And, it's nothing to do with how much (or little) it costs to buy. It's the principle.

There isn't that many people who bought the game to make a large fuss about the season pass. Again, you shouldn't buy something based on the hope of a sequel. It's like emotional blackmail. And, it's nothing to do with how much (or little) it costs to buy. It's the principle.
People are able to make that judgement for themselves. The proof is in the pudding though. Sales = more games

I would gladly pay more money for Sega Arcade DLC. Sega has ported some of those games a million times already so they could make an easy extra buck by releasing them here as well.
I’m curious whether a standalone dlc (none season pass dlc) that added space harrier, outrun and hang on to the arcades in Niaowu would sell well. Personally I never cared much for having the Sega games included in the arcade (yeah, it was cool and I played them every now and again, but they weren’t even close to the reason why I loved S1 and S2 so much), but it seems that a lot of the fan base really loved the Sega arcade games and capsule toys.

Out of interest, how much would you be willing to pay for something like that?

Last edited:
Out of interest, how much would you be willing to pay for something like that?
Maybe around 5€ if it was just the games from previous titles. And more if they added new titles as well with maybe an extra 1 or 2 euros per title.

In that case, the dlc will make little difference. Shenmue 3 hasn't sold a great deal of units. Regardless, I really do hope that Shenmue 4 does get made. I love these games.
We still don't know units sold. Cedric has said himself he's happy with Shenmue III so far. Deep Silver etc are still pushing the marketing and they wouldn't try and flog a dead horse.

Time will tell but I defo want a 4th game.

No. Will buy it when the new story content arrives

Shenmue 3 hasn't sold a great deal of units.

Like spud says, we don’t really know what kind of units it’s shifted. Everything is conjecture at this point in time. I chose to buy the DLC first and foremost because I believe any little bit potentially helps towards making S4 a reality. Thankfully I’ve quite enjoyed the Battle Rally so far. Is it emotional blackmail, I certainly don’t see it that way, but I get what you’re saying.

Having said that, I completely respect your choice not to buy it for whatever reason you choose.

I Ordered the Season Pass as soon as it was available seperately on the PSN - £12.99 Was pretty generous in comparison to a lot of devs out there. If purchasing the Season Pass helps out for a Shenmue IV I'm all in... though I am secretly hoping for a Shenmue III Complete Edition when al lthe DLC is complete.

I played the Battle Rally DLC as it was a fun extra to dive back into but regarding the actual story DLC, I won't play that until I replay the game, which may be some time!

Will be buying the story DLC but not a fan of the battle system so no interest in Battle Rally. If the second DLC looks interesting, I’ll get the season pass.

I have not. I kinda burned myself out on Shenmue earlier this month after playing the games nonstop since III came out. Now I'm just playing DQXI. I will wait for everything to be released and probably before IV comes out before I dive right back into the third game.

Back