Phantom River Stone Blog

New Shenmue III Official T-Shirt (Ryo & Shenhua)

This one's not easy for people outside of Japan to order, unfortunately. Has anyone seen it offered outside of Japan?

1573531425353.png

@Switch this is probably a much larger undertaking but do you think you will eventually provide subtitles for this 3 hour video? Curious if Suzuki talks ,ugh about development of Shenmue 3 in particular.

@Switch this is probably a much larger undertaking but do you think you will eventually provide subtitles for this 3 hour video? Curious if Suzuki talks ,ugh about development of Shenmue 3 in particular.
Yes, I'd definitely like to caption it (or at least a good portion of it) although I can't be sure of the timing for getting it done yet.

Mini-Interview with Yu Suzuki at MAGIC Kyoto 2019

PRS: Regarding the music, how did you go about selecting the music tracks in the game? For example, based on time progression, Ryo's feelings, location and so on. What was your approach this time?

YS
: In general, I selected a song to fit each scene or location. For example, battle music for a battle scene. However, there are a lot of songs, so they're divided into types: Battle music, Exploration music, Flashback music, Sorrowful music, Calm music and so on. Then I would basically choose a song from within one of those categories.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/11/mini-interview-with-yu-suzuki-at-magic.html

1574409107803.png

MAGIC Kyoto 2019 Travel Report

Held on November 6th, the MAGIC Kyoto event that took place in the Kansai region of Japan is one of the last major events to feature Shenmue 3 prior to its release on the 19th. I traveled down to Kyoto to attend the Shenmue 3 conference live (would there perhaps be a new trailer?) and meet with a number of other Shenmue fans both from within Japan and overseas.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/11/magic-kyoto-2019-travel-report.html

1577260825771.png

(I'm behind again on keeping this thread updated with postings!)

Nice work as always @Switch what this shows very quickly is just how much the game improved from 2017-release. The 1st teaser trailer seems light years away to what we've ended up with, which is full of colour and character.

"Ryo and Shenhua Running Toward Each Other"

So it's not that Ryo was too shy like you initially guessed, they just didn't want to collide lolz

Farewell, Kawasaki Warehouse Arcade | A Slice of Kowloon Walled City

A tribute to the arcade building in Kawasaki that some Shenmue fans will have been lucky enough to have visited, which sadly shut down in November of last year, by @paddyj. It realistically recreated a magical slice of the once-existing Kowloon Walled City that Ryo explores in Shenmue II.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/11/farewell-kawasaki-warehouse-arcade.html

1578404689945.png

Farewell, Kawasaki Warehouse Arcade | A Slice of Kowloon Walled City

A tribute to the arcade building in Kawasaki that some Shenmue fans will have been lucky enough to have visited, which sadly shut down in November of last year, by @paddyj. It realistically recreated a magical slice of the once-existing Kowloon Walled City that Ryo explores in Shenmue II.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/11/farewell-kawasaki-warehouse-arcade.html

View attachment 6786

Amazing update, I’ve never heard of this place. Such a shame this place closed down. I lived in Hong Kong and China as a kid for few years in early 90’s and if there’s one thing both original games nailed was the lived in, run down aesthetics of towns and cities. Sadly Shenmue 3 with new engine looked too clean and sanitized unlike first two games which I think the arcade captured nicely.

I lived in Hong Kong and China as a kid for few years in early 90’s and if there’s one thing both original games nailed was the lived in, run down aesthetics of towns and cities. Sadly Shenmue 3 with new engine looked too clean and sanitized unlike first two games which I think the arcade captured nicely.
In an interview I once read the Shenmue developers on Shenmue 2 were talking about how Yu Suzuki kept wanting them to "add more dirt" to everything to make the environment feel realistic. Perhaps with S3 he decided to go for a more idealized look, as he has talked about wanting to make the scenery look like a painting. By the way, when you were living in Hong Kong did you ever see the walled city (even from afar)?

By the way, when you were living in Hong Kong did you ever see the walled city (even from afar)?

Yes while I never visited it I did see Kowloon from descending into the old Kai Tak airport. Still probably my favourite flight experience skimming by high rise buildings, getting so close you could see people’s laundry hanging from their balcony or even seeing TV sets inside tight quarter apartments.

You can find more info here on the old airport.

Yes while I never visited it I did see Kowloon from descending into the old Kai Tak airport. Still probably my favourite flight experience skimming by high rise buildings, getting so close you could see people’s laundry hanging from their balcony or even seeing TV sets inside tight quarter apartments.
Sounds like an amazing sight to see in person! And a nice nod to it in the game with Ryo seeing a jetliner passing close by overhead.

Back