Patch 7 for PC - Release Notes

Well, how long d3t supports the game post-launch is ultimately SEGA's decision.

It's fairly common for patches to slow down dramatically once a game is in a solid state. Up until the JP launch d3t had been working full time squashing massive amounts of bugs across multiple platforms. For the average player the remaining bugs are relatively minor so it wouldn't surprise me if SEGA scaled back the support efforts to prioritise other things.

Most definitely winding down because it is in a pretty solid state. Never notice any of the nitpicky things like silent footsteps or obnoxious notebook. If only the hitbox major bug is the last fix, and those other tiny things still bug you (no pun intended) then evidently these games simply aren't for you and nothing will satisfy such unreasonable melodrama.

Perhaps Sega are now handling fixes for the Japanese release. Could then handover their solutions to be ported for XBOX and PC by D3T?

^ There is no melodrama at this point; people just want these games to be on par with the originals. I’m sure it hasn’t escaped you that the events leading up to, and following, the release of these ports have been messy at best.

Thankfully, Sega/D3T seem(ed) committed to fixing the final product; let’s just hope they see things through until the bitter end, as opposed to pulling the plug just when things start getting good.

I'm of the assumption that we may get one more patch, following the recent JP launch of the game.

Outside of the hitboxes, the rest of the stuff is pretty minor. I booted up the PS4 version last night, not having played since the last major version update hit.

I didn't really see a great deal of issues(on S1), though I did notice the footsteps compared to the DC version. Still, relatively minor and didn't detract severely.

We need to be realistic and assume they could be done. It is easy to knee-jerk and be upset, but considering the inside story of what the team actually went through to simply MAKE the games a reality, I'm content with their post efforts.

Am I literally the only one who has noticed how awful the audio for Shenmue I on PS4 is compared to the other platforms? I feel like I'm going crazy here.

On PS4 Shenmue I, the volume levels are all out of whack to the point that some of the music is barely audible. The voices are also way too loud and some of the music still isn't being played correctly (for example, the title screen music and FREE 2).

I've watched streams of the PC and Xbox One versions literally from launch, when the game was still on the original day one patch, and they don't have any of these problems. Most of the music sounds correct, the volume levels are balanced well, etc.

It blows my mind that months later, the PS4 version is still the only one suffering from these issues, especially since that's the only platform the game was released for in Japan. I can't play Shenmue this way. The music is too important to me. I absolutely hate exiting the Hazuki Residence for the first time and barely being able to hear the background music (FREE 1). Totally ruins the experience for me.

If they would just make the audio on par with the other two versions and fix the hitboxes, I would be mostly satisfied with the port. As it stands right now, however, I still need to use my Dreamcast to play the game since I don't have a gaming PC or Xbox One.

The patch from a month ago did seem to fix the Master Chen/Warehouse #8 music and the randomly missing sound effects but everything else (audio-wise) is still just as terrible as it was in August.

No condescension intended whatsoever:

Go back to the first rule of computer repair; is it properly connected? Watching a stream doesn't really prove you correct. Most of the nitpicked minor bugs I've never, ever noticed. Otherwise, perhaps your audio setup or settings are misconfigured? Speakers dying...?

I can vouch for B-man on the audio. I've played all versions and the Xbox and PC version do sound more accurate to the dreamcast version than the PS4 for some bizzare reason. Certain sound issues like the lower volume footsteps, QTE on the alley(missing the high pitch tone), Master Chen Warehouse #8 (better but pitch is too low) and the reverb sound off. All on PS4 only. I've reported all these issues directly to Sega. Hopefully it's adressed. Visually i only noticed one graphical issue not present on Xbox and PC on a specific QTE but it's pretty minor.

I can vouch for B-man on the audio. I've played all versions and the Xbox and PC version do sound more accurate to the dreamcast version than the PS4 for some bizzare reason. Certain sound issues like the lower volume footsteps, QTE on the alley(missing the high pitch tone), Master Chen Warehouse #8 (better but pitch is too low) and the reverb sound off. All on PS4 only. I've reported all these issues directly to Sega. Hopefully it's adressed. Visually i only noticed one graphical issue not present on Xbox and PC on a specific QTE but it's pretty minor.
Another minor graphical issue in the PS4 version is the flags in front of the Yamanose shrine not rendering correctly. They "fixed" this by making them not move at all. It seems like d3t has some real problems with the PS4 hardware for some strange reason.

No condescension intended whatsoever:

Go back to the first rule of computer repair; is it properly connected? Watching a stream doesn't really prove you correct. Most of the nitpicked minor bugs I've never, ever noticed. Otherwise, perhaps your audio setup or settings are misconfigured? Speakers dying...?
Whether intended or not, that is condescending and insulting to my intelligence. You're lucky if you don't notice these issues, but it must mean that you're either hard of hearing or haven't played the original game in a long time and forgot what it sounds like.

QTE on the alley(missing the high pitch tone), Master Chen Warehouse #8 (better but pitch is too low) and the reverb sound off. All on PS4 only.

Forgot the Chen #8. Not too fussed, even still; hope it is in one of the last patches. Didn't notice the alley QTE pitch, but sort of wish that was universal. The regular sound gives me anxiety haha. Guilin QTEs are so much nicer...!

Also, B-man, really was just spitballing a thought i had last week, but didn't recall to share until your post. Never said you were dumb; you're taking me the wrong way, hence my preface to my post in the first place. Couldn't tell you how many times i think something must be faulty, when it is actually just me at fault. Most likely a high percentage haha

Played Shenmue and Shenmue II consecutively from March 2018 until Oct 2018, the 47th and 35th time respectively, i believe. Do have somewhat shitty hearing, i think.

Last edited:
Guys while both are making good points can we stay on topic and move away from any personal insults. I know things can get misinterpreted here and there but let's keep things civil.

EDIT: Just seen above. All seems fine :)

Also, B-man, really was just spitballing a thought i had last week, but didn't recall to share until your post. Never said you were dumb; you're taking me the wrong way, hence my preface to my post in the first place. Couldn't tell you how many times i think something must be faulty, when it is actually just me at fault. Most likely a high percentage haha

Played Shenmue and Shenmue II consecutively from March 2018 until Oct 2018, the 47th and 35th time respectively, i believe. Do have somewhat shitty hearing, i think.

Sorry if I took what you said the wrong way. I'm just a bit frustrated about this whole thing and it doesn't help when I know for a fact that I'm right about something and someone immediately tries to tell me I'm wrong.

It's not the first time this has happened to me either. A few months ago, I posted in the bugs thread about not being able to kick enemies while applying a hammerlock and someone immediately tried to shoot my bug report down. By now, however, it's a well known issue that the hitboxes in Shenmue I are borked. So again, sorry. Just frustrated.

Yeah, im just an optimist and a lot of dissent seems entitled and nasty. Has to be such a ridiculous task to emulate a 6th gen game, regardless of what we eventually learned about the dev team translating and reverse engineering without much help from Sega. 3rd and 4th gen were fairly well emulated by 6th gen, but the 128bit 3D era are infinitely more complex, let alone Shenmue. So these minor issues like loud notebook/quiet feet/old warehouse 8 cutscene don't bother me much sheerly by virtue of relativity.

Also, i'm truly a Dreamcast obsessive, which cannot be overstated enough. Been a late adopter of 7th and 8th gen ever since the end of DC/GC/PS2/XB. Wait at least 3 or 4 years each time, and will wait same amount again for PS5. Yet, still I find myself primarily going back to Sega's white box (or playing PS2 BC in the case of fatPS3). The past two or three years I've borrowed my best friend's PS4 while he is out of country on an annual basis. First time, once i was done with MGS5/GZ, it collected dust. Next time, literally never took out of box even though Yakuzas and Last Guardian were all out. Finally bought my own PS4 slim a couple weeks ago... still sitting in box while I continue PSO and Sonic Adventures haha.

Point being, I don't expect anything like Shenmue to be absolute perfectly emulated until at least 9th generation, if not worthwhile to simply remake them from ground up as originally intended with this project. Another win to chalk up for my beloved Dreamcast being my favorite sysyem of all time and the best console to play my favorite game of all time. Meanwhile, these HD ports are quite well done and very playable and enjoyable, although not perfect.

What was spud saying about on-topic......? :p

Last edited:
I'm actually a bit similar to you in the sense that I didn't get an Xbox 360 until 2009 or a PS4 until late 2016. I finally bought a PS3 in the middle of 2017, mainly for PS2 remasters and PS1 emulation.

Just a tip: if you don't want people to think that you actually are condescending, you might want to stop referring to people's legitimate issues as "nitpicky" and "unreasonable melodrama" or telling them that the games "simply aren't for them."

I say this with absolutely zero sarcasm. If you're 100% satisfied with these ports, be happy. I wish I could feel the same way about them as you do. When you start making little snide remarks toward people that are already unhappy, it doesn't help anyone or anything.

Last edited:
Nitpicky, sure, you're not wrong.

Unreasonable comment pointed toward a few's entitlement. Such as demanding they be instantly and precisely satisfied, despite not all bugs being uniform for every player and justifying malice with their dollar vote (pardon my proverbial eye roll at capitalism, but I always hated such attitudes). Another being enraged at the dev team for eating cake.

Last, well, these really might not be for them if the remaining minor issues still infuriate them, no? At a certain point there needs to be a let-go moment--acceptance. Grappling hit box is admittedly somewhat egregious of a remaining bug, but again my optimistic, realistic outlook prevails. Hardly use those moves during personal play-throughs. Neither are they very powerful anyway. Convenient/efficient, yes, but weak.

Any activity on patch 7 dev branch today or yesterday? Wish there was a PS4 dev branch for patches. Would be easy to see if Sega Japan have had any activity there.

Last, well, these really might not be for them if the remaining minor issues still infuriate them, no? At a certain point there needs to be a let-go moment--acceptance.
Yes, fine, this I can somewhat agree with. I've already purchased a VGA upscaler on eBay for my Dreamcast and have generally accepted that my preferred way of playing these games will probably never be the PS4 versions.

But at the same time, it's not unreasonable to think that Sega should follow through with support for the games until all of the noticeable issues are ironed out. How minor they are is a matter of opinion. The main thing that I'm personally asking for at this point is parity between the different platforms. I would be much more happy with the PS4 version of Shenmue I if it was at least on par with the other two versions.

I'll leave it at that. We've both already derailed this thread far too much.

Gotten quiet in these Patch/Bug threads, so I guess the versions we have will be what remains. Too bad they couldn't squeeze out one more major patch to squash those pesky little things or at least most of them.

Gotten quiet in these Patch/Bug threads, so I guess the versions we have will be what remains. Too bad they couldn't squeeze out one more major patch to squash those pesky little things or at least most of them.
I prefer to think they're just taking a christmas vacation...

It angers me a bit that they can't just communicate such a basic info if the patching is still going on or not.
If they're really done patching, I guess we can say for sure the Dreamcast versions are still definitive, which is really sad...

If they're really done patching, I guess we can say for sure the Dreamcast versions are still definitive, which is really sad...

I'm not sure. There is the higher resolution. And the short loading times are such a big improvement in my Shenmue experience that it makes up for a lot. I realized that I am much more motivated now to look just into random stores which took forever before.

Back