Odds of S4 Reveal? -- THQ Nordic Show

A smaller, but more curated marketing campaign can do more than you might think.

Deep Silver may have cast a wide net, but the campaign in general just wasn't that great. The repeated use of very early assets was particularly poor, especially in the mainstream eye. Sure, they pushed the game, but it felt like they were purely going after awareness instead of actually trying to show it in the best possible light.

I think having a team who will actually work with Yu to produce a high quality campaign that only shows the studio's best work could do a whole world of good; even if it is on a smaller scale.

It still embarasses me to this day that websites that post new Shenmue news *still* uses old Shenmue III assets. It's borderline criminal. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that some people might not know this, but that it was something never corrected does more harm than you realise.

I'd rather have small and focused, than wide and scattershot.

All they really need to do will be to tighten the fighting engine, make stamina optional toggle setting and scale the QTEs to the difficulty level ala the battles so the people can finally get over their common lame complaint. Yes theyre harder, but i don't fail them much more or less than Shenmue 2 and we're all getting older and slower 😅

Plus, the fails are hilarious anyway, as previously stated. Practice makes perfect, too; frequently get 20 or at least 17 ducks in Niaowu. Almost as if the series incessantly badgering about practice since Shenmue ch1 actually pays off for most every aspect of the game 🤯

If there's a more focused and passionate publisher than Deep Silver I'm all for them! Also as previous mentioned, thanks for the boost in budget THQ, but no thanks for rushing the end and paywalling Chawan. Very tight Shenmue game and gameplay definitely most important to graphics or story, but cannot deny objective facts about the truncated and heavily cut ending.

All i am trying to say is:
There is a reason why most of the gaming community doesnt ever hear anything about
games like AI Somnium Files, Deadly Premonition, Samurai Warriors, Densha De Go
and stuff like that. You know, typical A / AA niche games.
Because they dont have the marketing budget or they dont want to spent the marketing budget
it needs to reach more people because its not worth it.
(marketing budget vs how many more new people that will get on board)

So if we take the Shenmue 3 marketing campaign and you think that this campaign was way too small
and there wasnt enough content etc, then chances are extremely high that a publisher like 110 Industries
or any other publisher on this level isnt even going to reach that output level in terms of quantity and
how many people will notice it.

I'm not talking about the quality. Just about the Shenmue 3 feedback how the Shenmue 3 marketing campaign
was not big enough. You wont get more output than that from any of these A / AA publishers,
in fact most of them wont even reach that output level.

Scale the QTEs to the difficulty level ala the battles so the people can finally get over their common lame complaint. Yes theyre harder, but i don't fail them much more or less than Shenmue 2 and we're all getting older and slower 😅

Plus, the fails are hilarious anyway, as previously stated. Practice makes perfect, too; frequently get 20 or at least 17 ducks in Niaowu. Almost as if the series incessantly badgering about practice since Shenmue ch1 actually pays off for most every aspect of the game 🤯

I’ve seen you use this defence before about getting older and slower as an excuse for the broken QTE‘s in Shenmue 3 but your logic doesn’t wash. If I can effortlessly get ‘super expert’ on QTE arcade title and easily complete most of first two games with missing any of the prompts, to me that strikes me as inconsistent. While the timing window is too short, there appears to almost be lag when button prompt displays and when it registers input which just exaggerates this problem.

I’ve also heard some fans say, well they want you to fail to see the hilarious fail states. So Suzuki and co designed a system for players to deliberately fail? What wonderful design. I will say this until I go blue in the face, the QTE’s are broken in Shenmue 3 and I hope they get remedied along with dynamic pathways and ability to fail certain amount of prompts like the original.

we shall see, tosh. In my mind better than nothing at the moment.

True and i mean i dont have anything against a 110 Industries Shenmue 4 deal, all cool.
I'm only talking about future marketing campaigns and how people should keep their expectations in check
because no publisher on this indie / A / AA level is going 'all in'.

I’ve seen you use this defence before about getting older and slower as an excuse for the broken QTE‘s in Shenmue 3 but your logic doesn’t wash. If I can effortlessly get ‘super expert’ on QTE arcade title and easily complete most of first two games with missing any of the prompts, to me that strikes me as inconsistent. While the timing window is too short, there appears to almost be lag when button prompt displays and when it registers input which just exaggerates this problem.

I’ve also heard some fans say, well they want you to fail to see the hilarious fail states. So Suzuki and co designed a system for players to deliberately fail? What wonderful design. I will say this until I go blue in the face, the QTE’s are broken in Shenmue 3 and I hope they get remedied along with dynamic pathways and ability to fail certain amount of prompts like the original.

Bit of a goof there blaimng aging stoner reflexes.

Well, I'll also go blue in the face also saying I've never had much trouble with the Shenmue 3 QTEs. At least, didn't let them bug me too bad.

Yes theyre short--I suggested scaling them down to difficulty level ala battles for a reason. The fucking Yellow Head bldg 8th floor (?).Master Baihu and Don Niu CQTEs had me raging MUCH WORSE back in the day. Fucking christ. Love the moments when Ryo falls from running into empty crdboard boxes in the originals though haha. Shenmue 3 definitely used the strict budget to at least make funnier fails; gotta be optimistic and just chill sometimes

Looks like we're both be suffocating tonight. Let's at least spark a fucking blunt, eh?

Last edited:
It still embarasses me to this day that websites that post new Shenmue news *still* uses old Shenmue III assets. It's borderline criminal. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that some people might not know this, but that it was something never corrected does more harm than you realise.

I'd rather have small and focused, than wide and scattershot.
3511DD59-C119-4307-99E8-4C12E5C826B1.jpeg
“Bad game Shenmue 3 no good for pee pee graphics, poo poo gameplay, cursive logo” -Kotaku, probably

Back