Obscure Nozomi phone conversations

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I'm currently looking into the Nozomi phone calls. There are some conversations that I just cannot seem to trigger. I'd like to find out if they are just really obscure or in fact unused.

There is one where Ryo worries about Nozomi wandering around at night, looking for him.
The only place this could go is after meeting Charlie at the Tattoo Parlor.

There are two, maybe even three calls about the kitten. If Nozomi can keep it, that it won't stay put, that Megumi is worried.
None of the kitten cutscenes got me to any of that afterwards.

There is also something for the "excuse me" calls, where she says the has to go to her exam prep class and then there's something where she addresses the 4 days that Ryo has been out cold. These seem to be even more likely unused.

If any of you know about these convos, please share some insight on when and where to get them.

I seem to have missed most of those phone calls referenced. Nozomi was the only friend I would regularly call, I assume his other friends have much more limited dialogue or unique dialogue when calling them through various story points?

How would one deduct any pointers from those scripts? All I see is wich file they are from, wich I already knew since I dug around the telephone dialogue AFS to find out about everything it has to offer in the first place.

Would be nice to get some general more widespread attention to this. The more I think about this the more I imagine that this stuff really is just unused, may it be by decision or through some mishap. But a small part of me still thinks that some players somehow got at least some of the convos.

I'm currently looking into the Nozomi phone calls. There are some conversations that I just cannot seem to trigger. I'd like to find out if they are just really obscure or in fact unused.

There is one where Ryo worries about Nozomi wandering around at night, looking for him.
The only place this could go is after meeting Charlie at the Tattoo Parlor.

There are two, maybe even three calls about the kitten. If Nozomi can keep it, that it won't stay put, that Megumi is worried.
None of the kitten cutscenes got me to any of that afterwards.

There is also something for the "excuse me" calls, where she says the has to go to her exam prep class and then there's something where she addresses the 4 days that Ryo has been out cold. These seem to be even more likely unused.

If any of you know about these convos, please share some insight on when and where to get them.
I vaguely remember triggering the Ryo worried about Nozomi looking for him. I don't recall any of the others mentioned at all.

I went ahead and just assembled the missing conversations from the files by mostly guesswork on how they could play out so I can finally release this.

Amazing work as usual. I have run into a couple of conversations over the years but some of them are new to me.

Ryo looking after a bunny, how Ryo and Nozomi first meet and she missed how they used to talk, the call where Eri appears to be in the room on the call amongst others.

Just brilliant.

Does the game handle phone calls via the STEP system?

Amazing work as usual. I have run into a couple of conversations over the years but some of them are new to me.

Ryo looking after a bunny, how Ryo and Nozomi first meet and she missed how they used to talk, the call where Eri appears to be in the room on the call amongst others.

Just brilliant.
I was going to say the same thing. The two you've mentioned are completely new to me, surely they're unused lines?

I have to add that I always really enjoyed the dialogue with NPC's just before Nozomi's kidnap. There's a recurring feeling from Nozomi and Ryo's workmates that they feel like they're being watched and it really does add to the tension before the kidnap. This dialogue ties really nicely with the 'next time, we're going after your friends and family' line you get from (Tony?) before the ship hits the fan.

You can really begin to feel a sense of danger when you talk to everyone at this stage of the game.

Last edited:
Back