NEW YU SUZUKI GAME "AIR TWISTER" ANNOUNCED FOR APPLE ARCADE

They still seem kind of weird/behind with their GUI/fonts/2D graphics. This old shot from another game that never came out reminds me of the new one. I suspect Air Twister may have been a bit related to whatever "Gan! Gan! Pirates" was meant to be. I recall it was a shooter.

full.jpg_oaDDEGm.jpg

They still seem kind of weird/behind with their GUI/fonts/2D graphics.

full.jpg_oaDDEGm.jpg
I agree 100% lol. It's one of the things that lets down Shenmue 3 in my opinion, and makes it look like a budget title.
With a mobile game, I guess it matters a lot less, and the font needs to be rather big as it's a much small screen, so my comment is mostly in relation to Shenmue 3 specifically as the UI looks like someone just found some random font and started typing on the screen.
I haven't been through the credits to check recently, but I don't know if they have a dedicated UI/UX person, but I'd assume they don't. The UX in Shenmue 3 isn't bad for the general gameplay, but the "fighting tutorial", if we can even call it that, sums up my point perfectly lol... No wonder why people bash on the fighting when the "tutorial" just tells you to spam buttons and use the right trigger (which IMO is the best way to hate the fighting as you most likely spam 1 move, are limited to 5 moves, and don't even learn the combos of the game):-
1656093997386.png
UX aside, they could really benefit from a designer to make them look more inline with the rest of the game, as they stand out like a sore thumb. UI design has come such a long way in the last few years, and these are starting to look very dated.

Overall, it's not the worst problem to have with your game, but I just can't deal with an ugly UI :p Here's hoping they improve with each future release! :D

Last edited:
Getting it on Apple Arcade is a huge boost as well. If it were plagued with ads, with all the collectibles and unlockables, it'd really suck. Apple saved this tile, if it even was a thing before he pitched it to Apple. It would've definitely sunk to the bottom of the charts regardless.

Great game. Buy an iPad.

I agree 100% lol. It's one of the things that lets down Shenmue 3 in my opinion, and makes it look like a budget title.
With a mobile game, I guess it matters a lot less, and the font needs to be rather big as it's a much small screen, so my comment is mostly in relation to Shenmue 3 specifically as the UI looks like someone just found some random font and started typing on the screen.
I haven't been through the credits to check recently, but I don't know if they have a dedicated UI/UX person, but I'd assume they don't. The UX in Shenmue 3 isn't bad for the general gameplay, but the "fighting tutorial", if we can even call it that, sums up my point perfectly lol... No wonder why people bash on the fighting when the "tutorial" just tells you to spam buttons and use the right trigger (which IMO is the best way to hate the fighting as you most likely spam 1 move, are limited to 5 moves, and don't even learn the combos of the game):-
View attachment 16514
UX aside, they could really benefit from a designer to make them look more inline with the rest of the game, as they stand out like a sore thumb. UI design has come such a long way in the last few years, and these are starting to look very dated.

Overall, it's not the worst problem to have with your game, but I just can't deal with an ugly UI :p Here's hoping they improve with each future release! :D

Couldn't agree more. It's not just the UI, but think about the loading screens, which would oscillate between splash screen or traditional Shenmue black screen with "now loading". The art, font, and other elements were all very inconsistent and it's the sort of stuff that drives me mad, but I sort of made peace with it being a KS-funded game.

I know I am in the minority who hates UI elements, but in every game where I can disable UI components or make them 'dynamic,' I do so. I just find it much more immersive.

Yeah speaking to a few others, I think this is actually just how the game is supposed to work. It's like a proper arcade game, you start from the beginning every time.
Yeah. I misinterpreted your post. Pretty sure the main game is supposed to start at the first stage each time. The issue I had was that all of my progress / unlockables reset when I restarted the app (well, strictly speaking, my save file disappeared).

Other than that I’m really enjoying it, though haven’t managed to get past the squid boss on stage 8 yet.

Yeah. I misinterpreted your post. Pretty sure the main game is supposed to start at the first stage each time. The issue I had was that all of my progress / unlockables reset when I restarted the app (well, strictly speaking, my save file disappeared).

Other than that I’m really enjoying it, though haven’t managed to get past the squid boss on stage 8 yet.
Yeah Matt has this issue on his Apple TV, none of his progress is being saved and he has to start from the tutorial every time.

Yeah Matt has this issue on his Apple TV, none of his progress is being saved and he has to start from the tutorial every time.
Ahh. That may have been the issue then rather than the lack of a Game Center account as I initially experienced the problem on Apple TV too (I’ve since switched to playing on my phone as touch screen controls definitely suit the game’s shooting mechanics a lot more than using a controller does).

Hopefully YS NET is able to put out a fix, as it’s more or less impossible to complete the game without unlocks.

I signed up to Apple Arcade and dabbled around with it last night. It's mostly fun but I do have a few slight critiques with it. I kind of wish it was just a bit faster paced as a whole. I kind of wish it was a bit more Space Harrier and less Panzer Dragoon in terms of speed. I guess I understand why it's a slower pace given the swipe mechanics (if you are playing with a touch screen) but I really love Space Harrier's emphasis on speed and I kind of wish this game followed suit in that sense.

Graphically I think it looks quite good for a mobile game. Does anyone know what it was made with? (Unreal Engine? Something Else?) I'd like to think they're still working with Unreal and hopefully this spells good for Shenmue IV (should IV even be happening) as they come to further terms with UE. But I didn't look through the credits, so I don't know if they're using UE again or something else.

Haven't played it with a controller yet. Might try hooking up my Dual Shock 4 to my iPad Pro later tonight and give it a try with the controller, but the touch controls did seem responsive from the little I played of it last night.

Yeah, it is essentially Space Harrier meets Panzer Dragoon and for the most part it's pretty good. Just kind of wish the gameplay was a little snappier.

Graphically I think it looks quite good for a mobile game. Does anyone know what it was made with? (Unreal Engine? Something Else?) I'd like to think they're still working with Unreal and hopefully this spells good for Shenmue IV (should IV even be happening) as they come to further terms with UE. But I didn't look through the credits, so I don't know if they're using UE again or something else.

I haven’t seen credits but others have said it’s made in Unreal Engine 4 which makes sense for the studio. Hopefully this additional experience only helps in a prospective Shenmue IV.

hey do the credits show if this game was actually selfpublished?
Doesn’t say anything about that. I’m not sure Apple Arcade games have publishers per se. If this game makes it to other platforms I’d think that they add more levels, remix it, do something to make it a bit different and all will be good. If I were Apple I’d have Ys signed up to do an Out Run spiritual successor. He clearly still totally understands addictive arcade game design better than most.

Last edited:
Back