NEW YU SUZUKI GAME "AIR TWISTER" ANNOUNCED FOR APPLE ARCADE

Great news. I'm not a big space harrier fan and personally preferred the Shenmue 3 carnival games over Shenmue 1 and 2's arcade games. With that said though, I'm so happy Suzuki is getting back out there with new ips, and working with a big publisher.

Gimme that Psyphi game next ysnet :)

On a separate note, I still think Ysnet are working on multiple games, and Shenmue 4 is one of them

I wonder if there was some truth to that Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima rumour from last March, in which they stated that both parties where making exclusive games for Stadia. This seems like the kinda thing that they could have been talking about?

Here's a link to that thread:-
As we know Stadia ended up doing a 180 on the platform and stopped going after deals like these.

Yeah I'd love to see this on all the major consoles. The art direction and graphics are interesting, but parts of it do scream "mobile game". Not sure why, I can't quite put my finger in it, because it does also more often look interesting and very Dreamcasty.

But yeah, it looks good. Get it on Switch, PS4/5 and Xbox asap.

Good news is it's just something everyone with Apple Arcade gets for free, so he gets paid regardless. Dunno how much. I had been meaning to cancel Apple Arcade, but alas. Don't think there's any other way to play Apple Arcade games.
Ah cool, I'll get it for a month to play through it then!

The game does look interesting. Personally, I don't play mobile games and my private phone is also not an Iphone but I hope this will create some revenue to give YS Net more leeway for S4.

I had to look twice at the calendar to believe this isn't an April Fools joke... 😐

Well... I'll just say that I hope it was a good deal and that the studio can make good money from this game. And that Yu Suzuki had fun making it. 😉

I wonder if this game was developed in parallel with another project or number of Ysnet staff involved?

In addition does anyone know how much developers typically get for putting content on Apple Arcade?

I wonder if this game was developed in parallel with another project or number of Ysnet staff involved?

In addition does anyone know how much developers typically get for putting content on Apple Arcade?
I was just looking into this but can't find a definitive money value (not that I expected too, as they will all be different depending on the game). I did however find an older article which in short says that apple had $500 Million to spend on getting exclusives to the platform lol. This was a few years back, but I'm sure that Yu will be making a decent amount from this which is awesome.

From another article, they could also have entered a partnership with YSnet, in which they will pay for a variety of exclusive content. This could be a side hustle for the studio which will allow them to build up a bit of a bank role maybe?

Edit:-

After doing a little more digging, I've found a thread talking about the question at hand and found the following:-
Each game received upfront funding in the $0.5-5 million range. Apple Arcade exclusives were paid more obviously.

There’s also an ongoing payment structure but I don’t think it’s based on usage like hours played, maybe ongoing downloads or number of active installs.
There's also a verge article to back this up slightly:-
Sounds like the Developers are not paid based on screen time. I suspect they are more like salaried employees at this point. Apple bankrolls their games and pays them a monthly fee to maintain it.

Either way, sounds good for YSnet IMO. Make fun smaller projects like this with the aim of either building their funding (and portfolio of games), or simply just build their relationship with Apple. Seems like a win win tbh.

Last edited:

It's difficult to find actual numbers because you sign an NDA as part of the Apple Arcade paperwork. But from being in the dev community, the general murmurings is that it is a revenue share based upon percentage of user engagement for your particular game during the month. Also, it's understood that you need to support all of the Apple OS (including Apple TV and Mac OS) and provide updates for a significant period, which was 2 years last time I heard.

If you are a relatively big name (like Yu Suzuki in this case, I'd imagine), then Apple often contributes or completely bankrolls development costs

Thanks @Sheephead and @Frankie for information.

That is encouraging. I think if studio can find alternative revenue streams while still keeping their hands in active development it bodes well for them to try and get Shenmue 4 off the ground and published.

I am curious what engine this game runs on, obvious lower specs to run on phones. Curious if this is prosperity engine or some middleware?

I only have a old MacBook Pro 2011 and an iPhone 5C, so not sure if it will run.

Really glad to sed something new from YS Net, Yu Suzuki deserves it.

For a moment i thought i could buy the game separately, but this will not be the case i guess, some games are exclusive to Apple Arcade, and Air Twister will be one of them.

I feel that the chances of seeing this game in other platforms like PS4/PS5 and Nintendo Switch are really small. :( I say that because is Apple Arcade exclusive, so i think the chances are small, but i hope we can see in other platforms.

I never tried Apple Arcade so to me it shows that i can get 1 month for free, i will definitely get Apple Arcade so i can play this game.

This will probably be the year where we will see a lot of Yu Suzuki announcements, i hope so. ❤️

The visuals of the game are beautiful, the aesthetic is wild like Spaghetti said, the gameplays looks fun, loved it, so good to see Yu Suzuki making new games, i'm looking forward to play this game.

1654030439508.png

1654030369959.png

Last edited:
Back