Media Meltdown – Shenmue Dojo Show Season 2 Episode 15

James Brown

Administrator
James and Matt debunk all of the clickbait media headlines and inaccuracies surrounding Shenmue 3’s Kickstarter and release.

Special thanks to @Spaghetti for the wonderful research involved in the creation of this episode!

Please give us your thoughts and feedback on this episode wherever you please, be it on Twitter, the Forums, or any of our contact options – we’d love to know what you thought!

Visit the Shenmue Dojo Forums to discuss all things Shenmue: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php

Listen to the audio Podcast version via all good Podcast providers and Spotify.
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3SHIts34fqgcHnMwbWCWJ4?si=75281fc01f5c47f9
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/shenmue-dojo-show/id1546577751
Anchor: https://anchor.fm/shenmue-dojo

Timestamps & Links:
INTRO (00:00:00)
NEWS (00:02:30)
MUSIC – BACKER CREDITS 3 (00:21:30)
MAIN DISCUSSION INTRO (00:24:30)
POINT 1 – SHENMUE 3 KICKSTARTER SONY INVOLVEMENT (00:29:05)
POINT 2 – YU SUZUKI NEEDS MORE MONEY (00:43:55)
POINT 3 – SLACKER BACKER NO REWARDS (00:51:00)
MUSIC – PASTORAL VILLAGE (01:01:22)
POINT 4 – SHENMUE 3 TRAILER 2017 DEAD EYES (01:03:35)
POINT 5 – EPIC GAMES EXCLUSIVITY DEAL (01:13:45)
MUSIC – SECRETS OF A WAREHOUSE (01:35:12)
POINT 6 – PRE-ORDER CONTENT & DLC (01:38:30)
POINT 7 – SHENMUE IS A TRILOGY (01:54:50)
OUTRO (02:06:10)
MUSIC – BACKER CREDITS 7 (02:10:22)

MUSIC:
Shenmue 2 OST – Forest 5 (Intro)
Shenmue 3 OST – Backer Credits 3
Shenmue 3 OST – Pastoral Village
Shenmue 3 OST – Secrets of a Warehouse
Shenmue 3 OST – Backer Credits 7

LINKS:
Shenmue 2 Game Jam Prototype – https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/shenmue-2-game-jam-japanese-prototype-release
Shenmue 2 Game Jam Prototype Forum Topic – https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...th-2001-prototype-sold-on-yahoo-auction.4324/
Air Twister Apple Arcade Store – https://apps.apple.com/us/app/air-twister/id1555621822
Air Twister Trailer –

YsNet Website – https://www.ysnet.games/
YsNet Youtube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYBy6NO48wjuJh2vI7Lj2yg

Thanks for listening 🙂

Brilliant work guys. It's not the easiest episode to listen to, but hopefully this allows you to get a lot of grief out of your system.

The only thing i'm unsure about is the segmentation of DLC. I hate segmentation of DLC and for a completist like me, knowing that some things were denied to me does aggrivate me. If the option to purchase these extras is available, then great. However, I can't say I approve of 3 different retailers giving 3 different freebies. If the freebies are stuff you can get in game, then no problem whatsoever, but if not, it feels sad to think that something "exclusive" is not available to me without buying another copy of the game if that makes sense? I didn't mind paying £15 for the season pass for what it's worth even if the story pack did feel like it was cut out of the game and was pretty poorly implemented. I chose to wait and do a 2nd playthrough before playing it.

That said, was there any DLC locked to others (Kickstarter aside)?

I think DLC and whatnot is a slippery slope to the point where I think it's normalised which is something i'm not so keen about. That said, that's not a problem with Shenmue III, but with gaming as a whole.

That aside, I wholeheartedly agree with everything else.

Thanks BCDC! I agree with you on the DLC point, they could have milked it and gone down the buy costumes route too. So what they did wasn’t too bad, you could get the season pass and like you said, only the story dlc felt like it was removed from the main game.

A complete DLC guide would be interesting to see, as I know there was a couple of different versions…plus, and i’m still not 100% but there were a couple of different move scrolls for different Kickstarter reward tiers, and I never quite heard whether or not they were actually tied to “find your name on the temple wall to receive a move scroll” type of thing or those backers just got the move on start up of a new game.

I think like you said, DLC is very normalised now, and it’s probably more surprising if a game doesn’t have any, so I don’t really have any issues personally. I think like the majority of the 7 or so main points we made it was blown out of proportion again.

Good episode. For those that followed the game's relative tumultuous development, especially in other places you know misinformation was rampant.

With that said one of the common rebuttals to a lot of the aforementioned issues is that 'better communication' could have solved or at least blunted a lot of the issues that arose. Although for some reason I feel unfortunately for better or worse Shenmue's reputation is already set in stone for many out there and it can appear to be a punching bag.

I think the anime in small part painted a much more positive impression and I hope they can harness that goodwill moving foward.

That’s true Code, I think perhaps faster communication to set the facts straight after a negative headline had been made to have better damage control. For example the Sony are involved stuff…seemed to take ages to get a solid answer on what the relationship was. Even Cedric felt that the communciation could have helped, especially during a 30 day Kickstarter to maximise the funding.

Its been a bit of late but finally I got the place & setting to listen this episode.
But timelapse never should be an obstacle to provide feedback.

You two make a great team. My favourite part was at 44:00 more or less, Matt reads that mean "Let's hope they add better physic ragdolls..." and as soon he finish quoting...
Matt: C'mon! (irritated)
James: God... (chuckles)
Matt: Sorry but!
XD
Dont apologize Matt, everyone are with you on that. Is the only way to react!

The "S3 looks like ass" erhm article? Disgusting, unaceptable. It makes me sad for the many good proffesionals and ethical game journalists, "paying same as sinners". I didn't knew about that specific one exhabrupt (or forgot about it for mind detox).
I'll rather prefer to leave those ugly episodes behind to not be repeated but after looking at it in the big picture, the way you guys expose it, one can't avoid to go a bit of conspiranoic.
Such coordination, it looked like targeted to sink. Watching at our community flag hashtag and motive #LetsGetShenmueIV, the whole thing in retrospective pours imho something in the line of #LetsTrashShenmueIII...
... I wonder if some company/ies could've moved strings to play foul game with Shenmue 3, because it being a dangerous competitor to their own game/franchise. Nah, probably too elaborated, right? Our loved Sega would never participate on such a thing for lets say a crazy paranoid example, preserving their Yakuza series, right?

It's very easy to engage with you both, keep it on guys, good radio very cozy. It makes the wait for Shenmue IV easier (no, Im lying here sorry)

Never to late to provide feedback! And such great feedback such as this is extremely appreciated 😊! The main things we wanted to do with this episode was state the facts as best as we could, and hopefully we achieved this somewhat! Thanks for listening!

Its been a bit of late but finally I got the place & setting to listen this episode.
But timelapse never should be an obstacle to provide feedback.

You two make a great team. My favourite part was at 44:00 more or less, Matt reads that mean "Let's hope they add better physic ragdolls..." and as soon he finish quoting...
Matt: C'mon! (irritated)
James: God... (chuckles)
Matt: Sorry but!
XD
Dont apologize Matt, everyone are with you on that. Is the only way to react!

The "S3 looks like ass" erhm article? Disgusting, unaceptable. It makes me sad for the many good proffesionals and ethical game journalists, "paying same as sinners". I didn't knew about that specific one exhabrupt (or forgot about it for mind detox).
I'll rather prefer to leave those ugly episodes behind to not be repeated but after looking at it in the big picture, the way you guys expose it, one can't avoid to go a bit of conspiranoic.
Such coordination, it looked like targeted to sink. Watching at our community flag hashtag and motive #LetsGetShenmueIV, the whole thing in retrospective pours imho something in the line of #LetsTrashShenmueIII...
... I wonder if some company/ies could've moved strings to play foul game with Shenmue 3, because it being a dangerous competitor to their own game/franchise. Nah, probably too elaborated, right? Our loved Sega would never participate on such a thing for lets say a crazy paranoid example, preserving their Yakuza series, right?

It's very easy to engage with you both, keep it on guys, good radio very cozy. It makes the wait for Shenmue IV easier (no, Im lying here sorry)
Haha I try to remain level headed but the media trash really got me worked up.

Glad you're enjoying the show. We love doing them and hopefully these help get us towards Shenmue 4.

Back