Many Mysteries Of Miao Village Finally Unfold

I was wondering about the family tree too, but like "grandmother" (obaa-san) can be used for an elderly woman you are familiar with in Japan, the same goes for "uncle" (ojii-san) in that it can be used for an older man you are familiar with. I don't know if there is a way to know whether it's an actual blood relation uncle, or just an older man you are familiar with.
I had another look through the dialogue text, and as you say the use of "uncle" by the two children Rongli and Laifu could indeed be a general term referring to a middle-aged man, rather than their literal uncle. Either interpretation is technically possible here, but I have adjusted the article text slightly to avoid assuming there is a definite family relationship for now, unless confirmation is found. Thanks for pointing this out - and sorry @Miles Prower for making an adjustment after your creation of the family tree!

Thanks for the compilation @Switch, with the images and characters its easy to understand , looking forward to part 2!

Thanks to this thread, I feel like I have played Miao village firsthand

I guess the next revelations could be from the 10k backer scripts (if they ever got delivered?)
It would be hilarious if they have blacked out pages though :LOL:

I guess the next revelations could be from the 10k backer scripts (if they ever got delivered?)
It would be hilarious if they have blacked out pages though :LOL:

They have been delivered but those that received them had to sign a NDA I believe so unfortunately it’s unlikely they can share contents. I am sure @Peter or @LanDC can provide further clarification.

This post is the second half of the Miao Village dialogue run-through:

Ryo meets the village mayor, and Zhengye who was to have been Kongzheng's son, and successfully gets hold of the Wulinshu Vol. 2. (Unfortunately the original dialogue for the interaction with Zhengye had already been removed from this prototype version).

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/08/part-nine-secret-of-miao-village.html

Zhengye-premiere.jpg

Last edited:
Just to chip in a bit of info found at the file `MISC\FLAG.BIN` (found completely randomly, while looking curiously at the files of the Game Jam prototype) :
It has the following references:
Code:
TRANSPORT_DRUG
BICYCLE_FIAST
BICYCLE_DRUG

VISIT_RA
INQUIRE_RA
FORWARD_HAKUSIN
MYAOKOH_FIND
GEKAN_GET
TOSYOKEN_MEMO
READ_BURINSYO
READ_BURIN_F
Which seems to be related with the findings. "Transport drug" and "bicycle".

Not sure about the rest; could "BURINSYO" actually be "Wulinshu", and "read burinsyo" actually means "read Wulinshu"? As there is also another mention of "BURINSYO" close to (let's call them) events, which seem to be related with the ones where Ryo wanted to get the book and Xiuying Hong told him to catch leaves:
Code:
RARE_BOOK_DAY
RARE_BOOK
GET_BURINSYO
SYE_SNATCH
SNATCH_TODAY
LEAF_SNATCH
SNATCH_THREE
Here says "GET_BURINSYO", so probably means "Get Wulinshu".

There is some other interesting texts (not related with this thread, but while talking about them):
Code:
ONCEUPONATIME
BEAR_QTE

KUN_LOVE_CHK
KUN_LV1_CHK
KUN_LV2_CHK
KUN_LV3_CHK
KUN_LV4_CHK
"ONCEUPONATIME" sounds funny to me (maybe a fairytale told by Shenhua to Ryo?) and... "BEAR_QTE"!? You have to evade some panda/bear somewhere in the rural areas of Guilin? :tearsofjoy: (unless if "BEAR" ...bears another meaning, sorry for the pun... :sweatsmile:) (And seems "KUN" (Fangmei) has 4-5 staged of love for Ryo...) - All such flag's texts can be found here.
Would've been interesting if they had implemented a status bar through the VMU screen for Fangmei's side-quest, much like the Iron Palm training with Kenmin/Jianmin.

If the second game also had gotten a Passport disc, that info could've been conveyed similarly to the kittie's age and weight tracking system.

IIRC missing to get the boat meant arriving HK during the rain season hence the missable event/s. Of all cut features this is my most regreted. Events unfolding matching Magic Weather its my fav S1 flag (besides training)
It seems that beta S1, money had major role with some S2 parlors appearing and always wandered what options related to money they left... it can't be just the ticket, scrolls, gachas and drinks during all the development.

Same here. Normally I always prefer the final changes over the beta, like RE2 better than 1.5 but in this case they nailed it swapping the rural area. 20yrs later and I still feel Guilin and Shen Hua encounter as the first time. It was very brave to pace a game like that.

Edit: I remember a concept CG with Ryo travelling on a plane and standing in some airport/train station. Did i dreamed that?
There's a render of Akira at a train station: 'Virtua Fighter C.G Portrait Series'.
But you're the only other person that has ever mentioned the airport!

I remember seeing it at either the OG Dojo or Planet Dreamcast, around '06, when the trailer for Shenmue Online released...
The screenshots (not CGI -- in-game) consisted of Ryo next to airplane stairs, on a grey/asphalt runway using the harbor's ground textures.

There's, of course, the Kai Tak Airport, indirectly referenced when going around Wise Men's Qr.

There're a few possibilities:
1. Misremembering and/or confusing it with the TEST map from Shenmue II »
2. A yet-to-be-discovered area within the currently available pre-release builds or even retail;
3. A private collector with an earlier build who has never come forward;
4. Muecas' website images that got lost along the years (the most likely).

The Muecas pictures are more or less intact through the Wayback Machine and various reposts across the net. I am sure you are thinking of this picture:

2.png

I need to get new versions of these without the ugly watermarks.

whats so funny @Seaman?
Because for spanish speakers that polite form(?) you used "sounds" like talking to a god. Like:
. Are you The One? Yes. Im him. Im The One. The One with The Scripts! Behold!
(We) Heal me, heal me.

This is curious because while we have two variants for "you" depending on context:
Tu (familiar person) and Usted/Vos(unrelated person also elderly). English has to use the phrase context to sound polite and sometimes that could result in lols.
I cant help at having fun with english quirks, its nuts fun.
But we can set at sundown for dueling, just PM. But I choose a gun.

Because for spanish speakers that polite form(?) you used "sounds" like talking to a god. Like:
. Are you The One? Yes. Im him. Im The One. The One with The Scripts! Behold!
(We) Heal me, heal me.

This is curious because while we have two variants for "you" depending on context:
Tu (familiar person) and Usted/Vos(unrelated person also elderly). English has to use the phrase context to sound polite and sometimes that could result in lols.
I cant help at having fun with english quirks, its nuts fun.
But we can set at sundown for dueling, just PM. But I choose a gun.

I'm one of the ones with the scripts, yes. I'm not allowed to share anything inside them.
how long does the NDA last? Are we allowed to see the NDA I am just curious if there will be a day we get to see them. You lucky dog you.

Are they full scripts? Or up to a certain point?

What's the penalty of breaching the NDA? I'm sure we will all chip in to cover 😂

What's the penalty of breaching the NDA? I'm sure we will all chip in to cover 😂
Seriously? Penalty is suicided with a plastic bag by Sega Sammy Corp. private security aka death squads. Believe me, I've been around... Those people doesn't play around coming to assets breachs.
I bet LanDC is not replying anymore because he already been dispatched. I mean, he is dead now.

Seriously? Penalty is suicided with a plastic bag by Sega Sammy Corp. private security aka death squads. Believe me, I've been around... Those people doesn't play around coming to assets breachs.
I bet LanDC is not replying anymore because he already been dispatched. I mean, he is dead now.
Haha, you are joking, but some videogame Japanese companies are known to historically have had ties with the Yakuza! And the one on this article is obvious to be Sega:

(Although that's a terrible and real story, I'm half joking too, don't think anybody is in danger of being harassed by the Yakuza for breaching an NDA).

In the Shenmue III kickstarter campaign that question is answered. They were described as "An original script set from Shenmue 1 and 2.". So they are up to a certain point.

A stupid thing I doubt, and possibly could be answered without breaching any NDAs, is if there were enough copies of the "original scripts" so that YSnet conserved some. Not having them could explain some of the inconsistencies of Shenmue 3 story :LOL:

Back