Least favorite song in the Shenmue series?

Always found Golden Qr to be weird. I dont like South Carmain either but i do LOVE the forklift truck racing song.
Golden Qr. grew on me once I heard the uncompressed version intended for Shenmue Online. I think the intention was to express a rushed, bustling shopping area; this edition may better capture that. That said, if you don't like it, ya don't like it!

I'm not fond of FREE 3 at all. It always sounds really repetitive to me and never actually builds to anything.

I considered the FREEs, too.
I respect and agree with the idea someone once suggested that the FREE music was written to evoke whatever is running through Ryo's emotional head (vs. a set theme for the locations in Yokosuka), but this is one of the weaker ones. Perhaps it has a minimalistic strength, though.

Chewed on this one for a bit, good question. Most of the music in the series fits the setting and is composed well enough.

That said. I've noticed I'm rarely fond of the diner themes (Ajichi and Yamaji Soba from SI; Bar Man Mo, Dou Jiang Diner, etc. from S2). I also have to be in a certain mood to appreciate Y.A.D.A, hah.

The only songs I really dislike (can't decide which is worst) are: White Dynasty (Night), Beverly Hills Wharf (Day-- Xbox), and the rich married couple song from S3.

Edit: I'd never given Ohshu Soba a chance. It really picks up, and I strike it from the list! Reminds me of Pigeon Cafe: unexpected drum beat surprise.
Oh God I recall the Beverly hills wharf theme from xbox, it's a disaster 😂

Golden Qr. grew on me once I heard the uncompressed version intended for Shenmue Online. I think the intention was to express a rushed, bustling shopping area; this edition may better capture that. That said, if you don't like it, ya don't like it!

I don’t think I’ve heard that before! It’s amazing how the uncompressed version gives the song a new lease of life. I always liked Golden Qr but remember avoiding largely running through it on the Dreamcast original because of the slowdown, which reduced Ryo’s running speed!

I'm not fond of FREE 3 at all. It always sounds really repetitive to me and never actually builds to anything.

Interesting choice. I always loved this song as I felt it perfectly fit with night harbour as you are skulking around harbour trying to get more clues on Mad Angels. While it doesn’t build to anything I think that’s the strength of most of the FREE songs as they aren’t composed like a traditional song with bridge, chorus or melody allowing it to be heard for long periods of time (trust me I heard it encountering harbour glitch upon my first play through).

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve heard that before! It’s amazing how the uncompressed version gives the song a new lease of life. I always liked Golden Qr but remember avoiding largely running through it on the Dreamcast original because of the slowdown, which reduced Ryo’s running speed!
Although this thread is to be about the worst songs, the Shenmue Online tracks reveal much. Even little ones line the Ren Aberdeen chase originally had more flavor. I often wonder what the original versions of many were to be.

As I've tried in vain to make a favorite music discussion, I'll leave the sound track here for you.

To keep the thread on topic: I hope we can all agree Pop Ice Cream ain't great!

Oh God I recall the Beverly hills wharf theme from xbox, it's a disaster 😂

I had never heard this before and I couldn't find the individual track on YouTube, but it looks like this is the version they included in the HD version as well (48:00 here):

That is awful :sick: Thank God for the Dreamcast Music Restoration Mod on PC!

I really love most of the music in the series, but if I had to pick one I really didn't like, it'd have to be the Niaowu theme in Shenmue III. Idk why it was just annoying to me when I was playing the game...

Last edited:
Now it can be fast forwarded til the final beautiful piano keys fading, and skip again so Ryo takes the final turn and finally Nozomi dissappears for the sake of us.

Now it can be fast forwarded til the final beautiful piano keys fading, and skip again so Ryo takes the final turn and finally Nozomi dissappears for the sake of us.
Oh, really? And where does the sublime "STEH WIZ MEEEEEEEEE-HEEEEEEE-HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" fit into your corruption of this treat of aural resplendence?

Answer very, very carefully.

I really love most of the music in the series, but if I had to pick one I really didn't like, it'd have to be the Niaowu theme in Shenmue III. Idk why it was just annoying to me when I was playing the game...

Yeah, Shenmue III soundtrack is wonderful, hence why is a bit misfortunate that both main areas have a "main" theme that is grating after a short while (the Bailu Willy Wonka one and this one).

Meanwhile, I ADORE all the Shenmue II main scenario themes. Both day and night versions.

Back