Japanese Ratings

ShenSun

Site Staff
This thread will be used to document and gather data on the Japanese ratings for the Shenmue anime.

Our friends @Switch and @tomboz are based in Japan, so we should hear some news sooner or later, once ratings and statistics become available to the Japanese public.

If any of you come across any information, please post it here.

#letsgetshenmuetheanimationseason2 (that was a mouthful lol)

fullres-ShenmueH2400x13501.jpg

If @Switch or @tomboz have insights on this, I would love to know more about how distribution of TV series works in Japan. It looks to me that Shenmue is being distributed on a dozen or so different platforms. Some of these appear to charge per episode and others are free? It's confusing and I can only get so far dealing with region lockouts and machine translation.

In the top 20 anime on Yahoo’s streaming site. Also has some user reviews.

Seems to be doing ok then. Getting on Tokyo MX seems like a great development to ensure more folks know about it. I stand by my opinion that Shenmue is certainly not a safe investment, but a safer investment than other unproven franchises. There’s enough out keeping the name alive.

Looks like it's completely fallen off the chart. :(
What's the refresh ratio of those rates? Are we talking about a very dynamic changing chart? Because if its similar to reacting at changing politcs surveys/opinion polls, with its peaks and its downs, maybe we should give it a couple of days. This still fresh and doesnt have the winner cards to start off. YES GO ON WITH THE LINK SHARING
i try DON'T PANIC i try Dr.Gasse
let me know if this is a rollercoaster thing please so i can quit please spare me

Last edited:
No idea. It’s either based on streams or people hearting/liking the vids. I’m sure we could find a way to make it go up the chart but I have no Japanese ability and rely on Google translate. Found out the chart continues:

Down to 78.

Last edited:

ANOTHER LINK. Only 3 1/2 stars right now.

I dont even know those animes because im old so no context at all for me to know if thats a yay,meh or nay position. im clueless
this is exciting but not in a good way. i dont know how it translates right now. but its the opposite of being funny
mmm my avatar just blinked at me... twice
i appreciate your effort sharing this updates @mjqjazzbar
(inhales deeply)
Obviously, Gangfang Li = Warau Salesman (notably changed his appereance in the anime ep.9/kept him covered in the shadows to prevent ip issues?)
Why this trivia isn't figuring in his wiki profile already?
gfan.gif

Last edited:
I don't think it's yay or meh, but it's certainly not the most popular anime in Japan. I had no expectations, personally. A solid performance should be enough, plus airing on cable TV will help.

@Switch @tomboz any updates on the Japanese ratings?

From what I’ve been able to tell, it got off to a very strong start and then experienced a pretty sharp drop off in viewership over the next few weeks. It’s difficult to estimate exact figures due to how many different places the show is streamable, but if the numbers for Nico Nico are anything to go by, I’d wager that the total number of viewers was pretty high even in spite of the drop off (which may well have been caused by the show coming to Tokyo MX rather than viewers not feeling the show).

It would be interesting to see Tokyo MX ratings for the show if they are publicly available, but I sadly lack the language skills to seek them out. I’ll ask my wife if she can take a look when she’s a bit less busy with work.

From what I’ve been able to tell, it got off to a very strong start and then experienced a pretty sharp drop off in viewership over the next few weeks. It’s difficult to estimate exact figures due to how many different places the show is streamable, but if the numbers for Nico Nico are anything to go by, I’d wager that the total number of viewers was pretty high even in spite of the drop off (which may well have been caused by the show coming to Tokyo MX rather than viewers not feeling the show).

It would be interesting to see Tokyo MX ratings for the show if they are publicly available, but I sadly lack the language skills to seek them out. I’ll ask my wife if she can take a look when she’s a bit less busy with work.

Thanks mate. Appreciate that. Even though the anime did well enough to warrant a second season, it's still interesting to know how the Japanese audience interpreted it.

Back