Is it possible to make a mod out of the Yu Suzuki head model from the Game Jam Beta for use in Shenmue I & II?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I am completely new to the world of modding Shenmue, I have installed mods before but have never created one, nor do I know how to.

After seeing the release of the Game Jam Beta of Shenmue II a few months back and seeing that hilarious Yu Suzuki head model, I wanted to make it into a mod for the re-release of Shenmue I & II for PC. I haven't a clue where to start though or if it's even possible not only to implement into II but I also.

How would I go about extracting the head model and turning it into a mod for the re-release?
Also, is it possible to also be used in I as well as II?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to play the games again with this model on PC.

I haven't a clue where to start though or if it's even possible not only to implement into II but I also.
Unfortunately, because they are Shenmue II models, the files cannot be used interchangeably. Shenmue II Dreamcast models are in a slightly different format to Shenmue II Xbox models, which is what the d3t re-relelases are based on.

Shenmue I is a little bit different because the file format is the same across all copies and so you can just swap the files themselves for other characters etc and it'll work fine.

Note, I'm not saying it's not possible to swap the models on Shenmue II, just that you can't swap the files like people are used to on here. The way this needs to be done is we need to either manually transfer the geometry data in the YS model and replace them in another model or we parse the whole DC version of the model and correctly write out an Xbox-compatible model, which will in turn work on Xbox and the PC re-releases.

Unfortunately, because they are Shenmue II models, the files cannot be used interchangeably. Shenmue II Dreamcast models are in a slightly different format to Shenmue II Xbox models, which is what the d3t re-relelases are based on.

Shenmue I is a little bit different because the file format is the same across all copies and so you can just swap the files themselves for other characters etc and it'll work fine.

Note, I'm not saying it's not possible to swap the models on Shenmue II, just that you can't swap the files like people are used to on here. The way this needs to be done is we need to either manually transfer the geometry data in the YS model and replace them in another model or we parse the whole DC version of the model and correctly write out an Xbox-compatible model, which will in turn work on Xbox and the PC re-releases.
That's a real shame they use different model types.
It makes it way more complicated for sure.

Thanks for replying. :)

That's a real shame they use different model types.
It makes it way more complicated for sure.

Yeah that just means there are no tools released right now to do it for you and that if you wanted to do it, it'd have to be done manually. But that doesn't mean we can't write something up or add support for it in something we've already made. I'll see about adding it to the list of stuff I have to do, if it's something that people really want then it could be worth it. 🙂

Back